Bury St Edmunds - Suffolk - England

Bury Saint Edmunds,
Suffolk,
IP28 6LG,

• + 44 (0) 1284 755979

Bury St Edmunds Golf Club has Walter Edward Guinness, the local Member of Parliament from 1907 to 1932, to thank for its existence. He purchased a suitable piece of land on the northwest edge of the town for £1,700 in 1922 and donated it for recreational use. It was just the catalyst needed by golfers to get the club under way.

Open champions Ted Ray and James Braid were invited to submit plans for the design of the new course and it was Jersey-born Ray who won that particular off-course duel, securing the £25 fee for setting out the 18-hole layout within the Sexton’s Hall estate. The new course was opened by Lady Evelyn Guinness in October 1924.

The construction of the A14 road in the late 1960s resulted in the club losing six holes to the new road so Frank Pennink was called in construct new holes and re-sequence some of the original ones – the old 1st is now the 6th, for example, and the old 6th became the 14th. A 9-hole short course was added in October 1991.

Reviews for Bury St Edmunds

Description: The course at Bury St Edmunds Golf Club first opened in 1924, designed by two-time Major winner Ted Ray. Due to the construction of the A14 road in the late 1960s, the layout was redesigned and upgraded by Frank Pennink. Rating: 5.3 out of 10 Reviews: 3
James Smith

Personally, I am surprised with reading some of the reviews on here and it does make me wonder if people were playing the 18 or the 9 golf course, I have always been told how impressive Bury is to play and how afterwards you’d be desperate to play again. The facilities provided by the golf course are beyond impressive and the back nine of the 18 hole course are incredible. I highly recommend Bury and the fantastic experience.

February 16, 2022

Sam O' Doherty
February 17, 2022

Hi James, Thanks for your feedback on the review. I can assure you, I am reviewing the 18 hole course. I was actually fortunate enough to have corporate membership at Bury for 18 months at one stage. My reasoning for the 3 ball review is because I feel the course is solid, not spectacular. A 4 1/2 ball review as you have stated means - 'One of the best courses in the region, warranting an overnight stop'. Within Suffolk, there are only a few courses that I feel would warrant an overnight stay (Purdis, Woodbridge, Aldeburgh), hence my rating. The beauty of ratings of course is everyone is entitled to opinions of course, but please don't question whether I have reviewed the correct course or not.

Josh

My expectations were quite low when I revisited this course a few days ago. I had been to the course for a putting clinic, and didn't see anything apart from the pro shop, clubhouse and 18th. Upon actually giving the course a chance, I was actually quite surprised with what I experienced.

Placed quite annoyingly next to the A14. Bury has quite an extensive membership, so much so that our tee time (2pm on a Tuesday) was littered with 4 balls. That being said, some extensive works have taken place in recent years taking trees out and it has been done carefully and meticulously.

It's certainly not the hardest course you'll play, but emphasis on fairways as always is helpful to a good round! It does seem in some places like groundhog day but there is a fine line with inland courses, I just don't think Bury quite meets the mark in that department.

All in all, I thought the course would be much worse than I anticipated but the layout and condition did surprise me. For the amount of traffic this course gets, the greens were running very well.

June 25, 2021

Sam O' Doherty

An extremely well supported golf club, who over recent years have started to make significant investments into the course.

Bury is always in decent condition, but unfortunately suffers from persistent road noise from the adjacent A14. In addition to this, the land on which the course is laid out on is relatively uninspiring and flat.

This being said, the course is well routed with a good mixture of scoreable par 5's (1,3 & 18), challenging par 4's (4,16 & 17) and fun par 3's (the 9th in particular is a great challenge since the changes have been made).

Hole 11 is a great short par 4 with players required to negotiate a range of cross bunkers before the fairway slopes down towards a narrow green.

The club is by far and away the best 18 hole course in Bury St Edmunds (hence it being supported so well) and has a 9 hole course which provides a brilliant stepping stone for beginners throughout the local area.

September 04, 2020