Caldwell House, built in 1771 by architect Robert Adam, was home to the Mure family until the early 20th century. It was converted into a hospital and then a home for young children before being sold for development in the mid-1980s but it has since fallen into serious disrepair.
Six years before the demise of the Mures in their big manor house, Major William Mure, the owner of the Caldwell Estate, allowed locals to rent part of the property for the purposes of establishing a golf course, and so Caldwell Golf Club was duly formed in 1903.
Willie Fernie, the professional at Troon, was tasked with laying out the fairways on a slender parcel of land extending to only ninety acres and for this he was paid the sum of one guinea. James Braid was subsequently engaged to upgrade the course in 1927 when he advised on modifying greens and installing additional bunkers.
More recent changes involved the resequencing of holes around the turn, between the 6th and 10th, and the introduction of a new par three hole at the 16th. Despite having only two par fives on the card, at holes 5 and 17, the course extends to a respectable 6,350 yards from the back markers.The 160-yard 3rd (“Risk an' Hope”) is a tough par three, with out of bounds on the right for the entire length of the hole as golfers aim for the long, narrow green. On the way home, the 279-yard 14th (“Libo View”) is a fine risk-reward short par four where golfers are as likely to score a bogey as a birdie.