The 18-hole layout at Whitecraigs Golf Club in Giffnock is a Willie Fernie course that dates back to 1905, at a time when the Open champion of 1883 was also involved in designing the new Portland course for the members at Royal Troon. Because of plans to widen the main Ayr Road alongside the course, James Braid was involved in subsequent course modifications, many of which remain in place today.
According to John F. Moreton & Iain Cumming’s book James Braid and his Four Hundred Golf Courses, “in 1938… two (land) purchases were made, allowing (Braid’s) report to be implemented. The 6th was extended, the present 7th built, as was the 11th, considered by some the best course on the course. The present 12th was extended into new ground, the long par three 13th was constructed and the 14th received a new green.”Today, the course extends to just over 6,000 yards from the back tees, playing to a par of 70. Highlight holes on the front nine include “Perry Vale,” the 429-yard 4th - rated stroke index 2 on the card - and “Wolfe’s Way,” the 513-yard 6th, which is the only par five on the outward half. On the way home, the 262-yard 17th (“The Beeches”) is a great birdie opportunity at the penultimate hole.