Established in 1888, Cathkin Braes Golf Club is the second oldest club in the Clyde Valley and its course is now the oldest that’s still in play in the Glasgow area. Modified by James Braid in 1921, this layout sits at an elevation of more than 200 metres above sea level in the hills to the south east of Glasgow.
The opening five holes and closing couple of holes are moorland in character, with gorse and rocky outcrops flanking the fairways as they pitch and roll across uneven terrain. The remainder of the course is more parkland in aspect, where tree-lined holes gently rise and fall across an undulating landscape.
Highlight holes on the front nine include the short par four 2nd, requiring an uphill approach from a rippled fairway to a plateau green, where an early birdie might just be on offer. It’s followed shortly after by a beautiful short par three at “Loch,” the 118-yard 5th, with tee shots having to carry a small pond to the green.On the back nine, the 164-yard 11th is another terrific par three. This time, the green sits on top of a rocky crag, protected by three little bunkers to the front. “Laigh,” the downhill 419-yard 18th ends the round in fine style, with its fairway narrowing towards a home green that’s defended by a front bunker on either side.
September 13, 2015