Coral Ocean Point - Northern Mariana Islands

• +1 670-237-7000

• Tae Ho Kim

• Larry Nelson

• Not known

Scarlett nominated the Coral Ocean Point course at Coral Ocean Golf Resort as a GEM in October 2017. Since then we decided it is more than worthy of a ranking position. Scarlett's commented as follows:

“This is the best value golf in Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI).

Coral Ocean Point is a resort course set on the south coast of Saipan, with views from many holes across the ocean to nearby Tinian. Many of the holes are relatively easy, but there are enough hazards, including OOB, bunkers in the lines of play and of course the adjacent coastline, to require concentration.

Feature holes at 6, 7, 14 and 17 all make good use of the ocean frontage. The par 3 7th is a short hole which requires a short iron over the seawater to the adjacent coral outcropping, where the 14th is a longer single shot hole, also over water and requiring all carry slightly downhill to a small and slightly obscured green. It requires full commitment to the shot.

There is a resort onsite and it handles the bookings and green fees. I don't know whether it was an ongoing special but my green fee (including cart) was only USD30.”

(Images courtesy of Scarlett)

Reviews for Coral Ocean Point

Description: Designed in 1988 by three-time major winner Larry Nelson, the testing 7,100-yard Coral Ocean Point course is set next to Pacific Ocean and it’s the sporting centrepiece at Coral Ocean Golf Resort in Saipan. Rating: 4 out of 6 Reviews: 1

Let me add to the comments above for a little more qualification of this course: I'd played Mangilao in Guam a few days before playing here and that was the full USD200 resort course deal with more employees than golfers, ice box with drinks included and cool towels at halfway and the end of the round. It's a seaside course with an excellent back nine.

In contrast, Coral Ocean Point looked like a add on to the resort, golfers were mostly left to their own devices by the staff and the carts certainly had a few miles on them. But, unless money is no object for you, I know which I'd be playing again if I found myself in the CNMI or Guam again.

Coral Ocean Point is pure resort course, but it's relaxed, holiday golf, set beside the ocean and with a couple of feature holes that made for a very pleasant afternoon.

If I was after a greater golfing challenge on Siapan I'd definitely recommend heading to Lao Lao Bay or Kingfisher. I didn't have the opportunity to play there, but did look at the courses and they both appeared easily superior in terms of conditioning and the likely shotmaking requirements.

Coral Ocean Point