A.H. Tull, design partner of Devereux Emmet and construction engineer for A.W. Tillinghast, set out the course for the Country Club of Darien in 1958. Fifty years later, Michael Hurdzan carried out a successful renovation of this layout for the club.
The country club was established by Edgar S. Auchincloss on his 200-acre “Gentleman’s Farm” which had been owned by his family since 1905. When the club opened, it offered the 250 charter members a 9-hole golf course, six tennis courts and a swimming pool as sporting amenities. Within a year of its debut, the course was quickly expanded to an 18-hole layout.
Nowadays, the course measures 6,822 yards from the back markers and plays to a par of 71. The club has hosted a number of prestigious amateur and professional competitions in recent years, most notably the 97th edition of the Westchester Open – which was a big event in the 1930s during the formative years of the professional tour – in 2019.