The Country Club of Indianapolis was the city’s first country club, established in 1891 in the northeast of Indianapolis, where the Woodstock Club is currently located. It was one of several country clubs to emerge around the city at the turn of the 19th century, giving residents a number of options when considering club membership.
In 1914, the club moved to its current property and appointed Tom Bendelow to design the new course. This layout was rebuilt by William Diddel in 1930 then Pete Dye carried out further modifications in the early 1990s – though he had tinkered in one or two aspects of the course’s design when he was greens committee chairman years earlier.
In The American Private Golf Club Guide, author Daniel Wexler describes the course as “an occasionally hilly, classically inclined layout bisected by a creek which, though ever-present, only comes substantially into play on five holes. Standouts include the 541-yard creek-fronted 8th and the 336-yard closer, which bears a vague resemblance to the 18th at Olympic.”
The club hosted the 33rd edition of the US Women’s Open in 1988, when Hollis Stacy retained her title with an aggregate 4-round score of 289, beating nearest challengers JoAnne Carner and Sally Little by one stroke.