Dunfermline Golf Club has gradually moved over 60 years from the east side of Dunfermline to the west side of the town. The club was formed in Halbeath in 1887 then moved to Ferryhills three years later. They moved again to Torrie in 1929 before settling in their present location at Pitfirrane in 1953.
The course is laid out in the former estate of the Halkett family who sold the property in 1951. The original Pitfirrane House, built in the 15th century, is now part of the clubhouse complex which has had modern ground floor annexes added to the old building – it really is a sight to behold as it looms over the course and worthy of closer examination before or after a round here.
Dunfermline’s parkland layout has an overall yardage of 6,121 yards (par 72) arranged in two loops of nine which end at the clubhouse. It has a slightly unusual configuration of five par threes and five par fives – with three of the par fives coming in the last four holes to keep the golfer on their toes right to the end of the round. Five of the eight par fours are doglegs, with four of them favouring a fade from the tee.
It is the par threes though that really catch the eye at Pitfirrane, as it’s often called by locals. In particular the wonderfully named 173-yard 5th called “The Cadger’s Stane”, which is a belter, as is “Myrend”, the 156-yard 16th.
January 03, 2012