Elea - Cyprus

8310 Geroskipou,
Paphos,
Cyprus

• +357 26 202001

Elea Golf Club is at the heart of a new, luxury residential development that is set in an idyllic spot, only two kilometres from the Mediterranean Sea and the vibrant town of Paphos. Golf in Cyprus was elevated to a new level with the opening of Aphrodite Hills in 2002 but the arrival of the new Sir Nick Faldo-designed course at Elea in October 2010 has stratospherically raised the Cypriot bar.

The vision of Elea Estate is to be a place where people enjoy life. If you like golf then you’re going to enjoy Sir Nick’s Elea. The team at Faldo Design are proud of their achievement and have created a course that “sits comfortably and in harmony with its landscape”. For those who are familiar with Faldo courses – Chart Hills for example – you will notice a theme. There are bunkers at Elea in abundance and covering significant acreage. From now on we’re going to call Sir Nick “Mister Sandman”.

The par four 4th is perhaps the most outrageously bunkered in Europe and this hole, named “Orchard”, tames the famous “anaconda” bunker at Chart Hills. Two irregularly shaped bunkers, which masquerade as gigantic sandy pieces from a jigsaw puzzle, need to be avoided from the tee. If you can find sanctuary on the fairway, you’ll have an approach shot to a bridged green that slopes up at the front and then cants away towards the back. The green is protected to the left by a smaller (but still vast) jigsaw-shaped bunker with a Muirfield-styled grassy mound in the centre. To the right of the green, there’s a more conventionally shaped trap. We think there’s more sand on this hole than an average desert.

The long par four 17th is rapidly becoming Elea’s signature hole and places fear into the swing of most golfers. Named “Bobby Jones” this is another hole that has dramatic bunkering but also a severely sloping fairway, which seems to be smaller than a postage stamp from the tee box. Assuming you can avoid the bunkers and stay on the fairway, you’ll need to hit a top drawer, all-carry approach shot over native scrub to an island-like green.

So, is Elea all about bunkers? The short answer is no. There are, in fact, three bunkerless holes, including the tempting 10th, a short par four that simply shouts: “come on – give it a go”.

Put on your thinking cap before you tee it up at Elea. This course warrants careful consideration, coupled with a positive attitude and a hot sand wedge.

Reviews for Elea

Description: Elea Golf Club is at the heart of a new, luxury residential development that is set in an idyllic spot, only two kilometres from the Mediterranean Sea and the vibrant town of Paphos. Rating: 7.6 out of 10 Reviews: 11
Kevin Henley

I fully concur with the ranking positions of the three listed Cypriot courses, and possibly I should have waited to review Aphrodite Hills until after I had played the other two as there are many contrasts to make.

Elea clearly stands head and shoulders above the others as a ‘proper’ golfers golf club and course, everything is just right and how it should be. I was never a great fan of Nick Faldo but he has gone up in my estimation after playing Elea.

Firstly to the top 3 order. Elea first, would happily play it every week, and once accustomed to heat, you could even walk it sometimes. Proper golf course. Very good golf course.

By comparison, Aphrodite Hills is although a “must play” it has an element of almost ‘theme park’ and ‘resort with golf’ rather than ‘golf resort’!? To play this every week I would say you need to either be very (cat one maybe) good - or ironically very (28+) bad with an huge bag of range balls. As you will see from my review of it we played it just after maintenance so this mean w didn’t see it in its true playing state (the greens were worst here, heavily sanded). Great experience but too many ‘hit the fairway or re-load, and repeat’..

Secret Valley is sort of half way between the two, in that much shorter and less (but still a fair bit) of “re-load potential”. It definitely comes in at 3rd behind the other two and would be more playable on a regular basis (if you got black-balled at Elea say !!).

Anyway this review is supposed to be about Elea - but wanted to add my support to the websites rankings.

The drive to the course is impressive (just as at the other two) but the welcome is the best. Bags taken from car by very pleasant friendly staff and put onto buggie and after temp. check (COVID) you walk through into a spacious (and best of the three’s) pro shop to pay - and marvel at the view from the roof garden down to the sea, taking in the airport, the strip of hotels and Paphos itself (pity about the adjacent “industrial” but it really does not spoil things for anyone but the raging perfectionist).

The first is a welcoming wide downhill from a raised tee fairway. All the tees are good, basically four c.6m square flat well tended “lawns” that have been inserted into the rough terrain, all linked by smart pathways and furnished with simple but classy personalised tee markers.

Strangely - but definitely not in a negative way - and possibly after the dramatic landscapes at the other two, here to me the atmosphere and quality of the course stood out rather than particular holes.

I hadn’t read up on the course until after playing (!?) and strangely enough after 13 attractive and interesting holes the 14th seemed a very plain and bland “nothingy” par 3, the 16th was a bit of and odd one to work out where you were going off the tee, and then ‘what is up there at the green?’ for your second. Similarly playing it for the first time (and having left sky caddie on hotel bedside !) the 17th was a real teaser as to where you are supposed to go off the tee and having filled my head with doubt carved one into the bunkers right which, until we got up to, we still had no idea where the green was. Once you work that out a lay up out of the sand is your only option, but nick as much distance as you can because the carry for your second or third shot is quite long ! And then finally the 18th tee again has you wondering which is the best route back to the 19th.

That may all sound a little negative, and it did sort of feel that the finish let it down whilst playing it, but now I am back at the hotel and showered I think (perhaps apart from the 14th) that had we had the sky (or real) caddy, or we were not playing it for the first time, it is a very good finish to earn you your pints of Keo.

What did surprise me, upon checking after the round (!) how many shots we should have got (off 14.3 I happily accepted the “usual” 16 as reasonable) and was shocked (and delighted) to find I actually had two extra to 18 ….. meaning Elea is rated as harder then not only the short and mid-range danger Secret Valley but somehow also harder than Aphrodite Hills ??? My ball tally begs to differ ! So I asked and to be fair, it makes sense as we played after tining and light sanding (the greens - shortly after maintenance this is - were by far the most easily playable of the three ….A/Hills were like “bunkers with a flag in” and Secret Valley were like putting on Velcro. Elea did get a few bobbles - not one noticeable enough to complain about in 18 holes though - but they ran out consistently) and - apart from the bunkers - the greens are very much a large part of the protection of the course and I am sure, when they are running hard and fast I may well be less likely to rack up the 38 (enhanced nicely to 40 after) points I finished our Cyprus trip with.

So, we played Elea with its “trousers partly down” but it is still in my opinion the best of the three contenders by far and if I could stand the heat and afford to retire out here (!) I would bite the hand off anyone that offered me membership here.

Would love to come back to Cyprus one day - NOT in first week of Sept during course maintenance ! - and give Elea the chance to bite me back without today’s nice receptive sanded greens, and also to have another crack at the other two to compare the greens when in their normal condition.

Would always happily play all three but Elea would be my home if I had it as a choice.

September 06, 2021

Raimondas

My opinion it is bit overrated and overpriced (except twilight green fee) golf course in Cyprus. I played several times in all of South Cyprus golf courses and my ranking could be: 1. Secret Valley GC, 2. Aphrodite Hills, 3. Elea GC and 4. Minthis Golf Club. Eléa Estate Golf Club look likes is under preparation near industrial zone and many other construction around.

I played here one time in the middle of February and next in November. In general both times condition of fields was average, greens slow, fairways with laps of ground and stones areas, but playable. Clubhouse is big and spacious with nice views to ocean. Food and beer in restaurant is pretty good and prices are acceptable.

Golf course is not very challenging except few holes and when windy. The course is playable from tee to green for all golfers, even if you have just taken up the game. One of remembrance hole was No. 4, No. 9 (par 5 with possibility to reach green with second shot, but really challenging and risky) and No. 17 (longest par 4 and hardest). A piercing fade is ideal for the tee shot at 17th to land right side of the fairway and hold its line against the side slope. The carry shot to sail over the native vegetation to the green looks daunting, and is!

No doubt every golf course rating is always a subject with a lot of subjectivity, depending on various criteria. I always rating by the following criteria: course complexity or challenging, fields condition (especially greens & fairways), service (only what you can get: buggie, club rent, condition of clubs, the amount of choice and etc. except staff and other subjective things that depends on your or staff mood), surrounding views or pleasure to the eyes and definitely value for the price. All criteries will be rating from 1 to 5 stars. Concerning Eléa Estate Golf Club my personal opinion is follow:

1. Challenging - 3* +

2. Condition - 3* (could be better especialy fairways)

3. Service - 3* +

4. Surroundings - 4*

5. Value for the price - 3* +

I‘ll come back...because not a lot golf courses around Paphos to have golf trip completed with playing in 3 different courses.

March 22, 2019

BB

A few holes in - it was the 4th or 5th - and I thought I was still at the beach. Perhaps after picking me up at the coast the taxi driver just drove around in circles for 15 mins and then dropped me off near my hotel.

I didn’t find the prominent bunkering at Elea to be window dressing though, and the course’s strategy actively makes use of all this sand - particularly cross bunkering and deceptive bunkering short of greens or cutting into fairways. They are more often than not in play. Elea Golf Course - Photo by reviewer There’s usually enough width off the tee, but you need to think about where you’d like to put your ball or your next shot will be a tough one.

And it’s not all sand. There’s only 1 bunker on the engaging opening hole - a downhill dogleg where the green is blocked out if you’re on the wrong side - and there must have been 4-5 holes without a single grain of sand (excepting what I carried on my spikes from previous holes). Here the contours are used as the first line of defence, and as a bonus you do also have the option to use the ground for your approaches on some of these. I would prefer the greens to be firmer to match this though.

There was a good variety to the holes, and I particularly liked several of the short/med length par 4’s. My favourites were the dogleg 6th - a very tempting Par 4 of about 330 yards with cross bunkers (where I showed a lack of respect and came unstuck), the attractive 15th - where the fairway bunkers protect the best line and a narrow green opening is guarded by 4 imposing bunkers, and the heroic 17th which contained a 2nd shot carry over wasteland to a green hidden at the bottom of the hill.

I thought the use of the land in general was very effective - it’s quite a hilly property, but it didn’t feel like going up and down Elea Golf Courses - Photo by reviewer like a Yo-Yo, and many of the holes had quite subtle elevation changes or were played along the fairly flat. It was pretty hot going so I broke with my own tradition and took a buggy. As with many courses like this, you will also have the odd 40-50 yard distance to the next tee, so don’t be ashamed of doing the same. It’s an exposed property, but no wind on the day I played.

Elea is still not really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed plotting my way around trying to keep the sand out of my shoes. I felt the holes here had at least as much playing interest as the more recently visited and higher ranked Son Gual in Mallorca. I didn’t use the practice areas, but other facilities were more than sufficient (I’m a sucker for a shower after a round with complimentary towels) and the course conditioning good. A refreshing beer on the terrace afterwards provided nice panoramic views out over the course. It’s probably a 4.5 ball, but gets a benefit-of-the-doubt 5 ball because I think it deserves merit for its use of bunkering and contains sufficient variety in its 18 holes. And just maybe because it surprised me a little and taught me not to judge a book by its cover. This all serves to eleavate it above at least some of the crowd in this Golfing niche, and I’m sure it’s a must play if you are visiting Cyprus.

September 03, 2018

malcolm roberts
A wonderful course sadly spoilt a little by a poor location next door to a factory estate. Generous off the tee and very well bunkered. The 9th is a good par 5 over water to the green if you choose and the 10th. a very hittable par 4. Course in good condition , fairways and greens, greens are very tricky and breaks are not always obvious.Make sure that you stop at the hut at the 9th. bacon butties to die for.
October 12, 2015

Owen mills
The course feels very new, and the surrounding area is pretty grim, which spoils the look of alot of the holes. It has some great long holes but the par 3s are very average and i felt they were an after thought. I cant say i recall any real signature hole, and to give it a fair rating you would need to llay it a few times as course strategy is very important, nothaving any gps or local knowlege was difficult. I woildnt put it above Aphrodite Hills quite yet, purely on the way the course looks, it doesnt fill you with anticipation etc.. Expensive as well, so needs to bed in alittle to justify the price and the ratings on here.
October 13, 2013

Tim Lloyd
Reall enjoyed the Elea which is a strategic course full of bunkers - I've never seen so many! Most holes make you think but the par 3s are very short. Still nice but nothing more than a light wedge...tough finish with the 17th earning its stroke index of 1. Overall service and clubhouse was first class however with views of mainly electricity pylons and warehouses this doesn't deserve to be above Aphrodite Hills at this moment in my opinion but overall an excellent thinking mans course in top condition.
September 20, 2012

Steve Whitby
Very expensive for the layout very simple course to play if you knew what lies ahead. I followed the course planner for the first two holes and stood on the 3rd tee 3 over. I didn't use it again and finished 5+ playing off 7. I expected a harder challenge! Not worth £125. I could play Open venues in the UK for less.
September 26, 2011

emmanuel
Eléa is about Wow… this course is stunningly difficult to play for the better golfers, it requires careful drives even many second shots in oblivion (on the 17th) Some are straightforward deceit: a few can drive the par 4 10th hole (SI17) but even crowds will take more than 2 puts if the flag is anywhere near the front of the green. A great design which is outside of the common, even the grass is something else, you might need a few holes to adapt your ball striking. If you are an aggressive golfer, think twice, the first time around will be a lesson of humility, you will take a beating on many occasions. Best to carefully pick your way and enjoy the ride, a great one it is! Manu(7.4 hcp)
June 13, 2011

steven Baker
As a setting this course is not the most attractive but for a test of golf I found it outstanding, the terrain and bunkers protect the course making it a real challenge to plot your way around. Faldo has designed a course here for all abilities with chances to cut corners for the bigger hitters and bail outs for the average golfer. The hotel is amazing and the staff were excellent, I only wish we'd picked a better day to play as at one stage the hailstones came down like pebbles making it the coldest round of my life and that includes a frosty January roll up at my home course!
May 24, 2011

Andy Newmarch
Another new European course that I have a gut feeling will get many positive reviews (including mine). The surrounding area of the course is by no means complete but don’t let that influence your opinion of the course as the design is very good. I think that of the half a dozen Faldo designed courses I have played, strategy must be the key word in Sir Nick’s mind at the outset. The bunkering at Elea is severe and not unlike Faldo’s Chart Hills, England to be honest. The greens are very tough too, with subtle run-offs, speedy surfaces and confusing grain that can make putts turn uphill! Only the very best of short games will survive on what I would call professional’s greens - comparisons could easily be made with those at The Grove, England. I found a similar theme on all 18 holes at Elea, with each hole becoming more difficult from start to finish (i.e. tee shots not too tricky, approaches a little tricky and the work around and on the greens very tricky!). The option to run a shot up to the green doesn’t exist, all shots need to carry to the putting surfaces but with fairways cut tight (giving a links turf feel) there are chances to control the ball on landing. The pick of the front-nine holes for me start with the par-5 2nd; there is a ditch about 175 yard out that needs negotiating plus plenty of deep greenside bunkering. The 5th, a par-4 is a nice hole; water at the green on the left and a tough green to hold. Best hole on this nine has to be the 9th – a reachable par-5 with water at the green-side and deep bunkers behind the putting surfaces – This hole is named Barney’s Rest, which is also the name of the welcoming half-way hut (fine bacon rolls indeed). The 11th hole is my favourite par-3; called Thistle which is apt as there is a Scottish feel to this short hole (all carry with a huge jigsaw piece bunker protecting). The final three holes are very strong indeed – all par-4’s and tough…the 16th continues the theme of an easy drive but not so easy approach (tip: take more club)…the 17th is SI-1 - a sloping fairway favours a fade to counteract this but then the shot to the green must be the hardest approach on the course; very long and needing to carry the vegetation to get anywhere near the green. The final hole is tough too, bunkers on the right side at driving length and further bunkering down the left on the way to the green. I am sure to return to Elea in the future as I thoroughly enjoyed my two rounds in March 2011 – my only worry/concern about the course would be, is it too difficult to get near handicap? Not sure but plenty of fun will be had trying. The off-course facilities at the clubhouse are all of high order with an air of quality throughout the bar/restaurant/warm-up area/caddie-master etc. and already a comfortable club atmosphere is evident.
May 10, 2011