Ferndown (Old) - Dorset - England

Ferndown,
Dorset,
BH22 8BU,

• +44 (0)1202 653 950

• M3, M27, A31 to Ferndown.

• Contact in advance - Not Thu<br>and restricted Sat/Sun

• Ian Walton

• Harold Hilton

• Scott Godfrey

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Ferndown (Old)

Harold Hilton (BBC Hulton Pic. Lib.)Ferndown Golf Club is a pine and heathery heaven, set in pleasing manicured countryside and located a mile or two north of the popular seaside town of Bournemouth. This is where Peter Alliss learnt his trade, for his father, Percy, was the professional here for more than a quarter of a century.

The club was founded in 1912 and Harold Hilton, one of the finest amateur golfers of all time, designed the course. It opened for play in 1914. Hilton won the British Open championship as an amateur twice, a feat only surpassed by Bobby Jones, who was British Open champion on three occasions, also as an amateur.

The Old course at Ferndown Golf Club plays across a sandy outcrop of land where there is a proliferation of heather and pines. It’s an inherently pretty golf course and sometimes Ferndown is bracketed alongside Augusta because of its immaculate tee to green grooming. The hazards at Ferndown are subtle – there are the obvious heather and trees to avoid, but the bunkers are especially well designed and positioned. Steep-lipped sand traps are invariably visible from the tees and the fairways and they certainly concentrate the mind. Many of the holes are dog-legged in shape and tee shot position is critical, rather than sheer length. Ferndown is a course where scoring well depends entirely on whether or not the ball is kept in play.

By today’s standards, the course is fairly short, measuring less than 6,500 yards from the medal tees, but the heathland layout will challenge the very best golfers and will enthral the average handicapper with its inherent beauty. Many important amateur and professional events have been contested over the Old course. In 1989, Ferndown hosted the Women’s British Open. Jane Geddes carded a 67 on the first two days and dominated the tournament from thereon in.

There is no doubt that Ferndown is one of the prettiest and best-conditioned courses in the South and the club is not resting on its laurels. In August 2014, Murray Long was appointed as Courses Manager from Sunningdale Golf Club. Murray has further improved both the quality of the playing surfaces as well as the presentation.

Reviews for Ferndown (Old)

Description: Ferndown Golf Club plays across a sandy outcrop of land where there is a proliferation of heather and pines... it’s an inherently pretty golf course. Rating: 7.7 out of 10 Reviews: 41
Ross Crick

What a course. What an experience. What a member's club. If I could play only one course as a member for the rest of my golfing days, this could be the club.

The course was in pristine and Ferndown (Old) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer immaculate condition. The greens were fast but playable. Visually, the course was stunning.

The first is a straight par 4 from an elevated tee looking out at some brilliant bunkering. I thought to myself that we don't always see too many straight holes and too many straight ones that looked that amazing.

The course had enough changes in elevation, green complexes and types of hole to leave you satisfied and coupled with the impressive trees, fauna and heath-rimmed white bunkers, it made for such a memorable experience. The members and staff were so friendly that it added up to nigh on the perfect golfing experience, which surpassed our expectations.

July 13, 2019

Kevin Henley

Wow, wow wow. My personal #278 course in England and # 411 worldwide.

This is right up there as my top "wish I was a member here course".

Everything previous reviews mention about the perfectness of the facilities for members regarding practice facilities, putting greens, tees, immaculate presentation, speed of greens etc applies.

We played it (after the "worth playing" 9 holer) as round #7 of our five day Dorset trip (which we booked through YGT and I was pleasantly surprised what a good deal we got).

The welcome from staff, the clubhouse, the views (especially from balcony) of the course, the locker rooms are all exemplary....the blue print for a members club.

Ferndown is even more perfect than Parkstone was on day 1.

Broadstone is tougher...that might ,are it a better course depending upon how you rank it ??? as is Remedy Oak, but overall I would firmly rank Ferndown as the very very best course/club to visit or - if you are lucky enough - to join.

June 06, 2019

Freddie

Firstly, I want to say that Ferndown golf club may be home to some of the fastest greens I have ever played on in my life. The course condition is immaculate and the greens truly are levels above any others that I have putted on before. They are very undulated so putting on them is tricky but then again, that makes it all the more enjoyable.

The course itself is spectacular, beautiful heathland golf course which looks lovely from hole 1. You ease into the golf course with a relatively short par 4 to begin with, however the 2nd hole is a 180 yard par 3 which requires an accurate shot to find the green. The favourite hole for me would have to be the 14th which is a beautiful looking par 3, not too long, but surrounded by bunkers and a tricky up and down if the green is missed.

Ferndown truly is an awesome golf course which is kept in top notch condition, definitely worth every penny you pay to play this golf course. I’m tempted to give it 5 1/2 but there is just something about it which puts it in brackets below the likes of swinley, west sussex, alwoodley or woking. Still a top top golf course though, one of my favourites for sure!

May 31, 2019

T P Dean

Albeit flatter and more tree-lined than its neighbours at nearby Parkstone and Broadstone, Ferndown is another Dorset heathland gem. It must be a great course to be a member; you could throw a blanket over the practice green and net, first tee and clubhouse, whilst that golf-fix for a few evening holes can be easily satisfied as options of both a loop of six or eight are available at the start of the round due to the multiple loop options that return you back to Ferndown (Old) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer the clubhouse.

The course is an easy walk since there are no severe hills to climb and tees are typically less than a half-wedge away from the previous green making Ferndown a very compact course. I’ve played the course twice now, spanning a period of four years between rounds and the bunker rework carried out over that period is of the highest calibre. Many of the bunkers, with the 4th hole probably being the best example, pop up above the ground providing extraordinary visual features rather than being embedded below the surface like most courses’ bunkers. The sandy areas on the 1st and 6th holes are especially remarkable examples of bunker design with the latter being beautifully natural with its shredded turf appearance. The 8th is another hole that’s defined by its bunker; a smidgen over three hundred yards, you could be mistaken to thinking this hole presents an easy birdie opportunity, but with the massively intimidating Warren bunker combined with an upturned saucer green and bushes tight to the rear, there’s plenty of protection on this hole to punish any slightly miscued shots.

Aside from the bunkering, a couple of the par four holes are protected by their proximity to the boundary line, 3 and 16 both coming immediately to mind, where the rhododendron bushes and white ‘out of bounds’ posts Ferndown (Old) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer immediately at the rear of the greens offer plenty of intimidation. The 16th is also best characterised by its green; whilst in general, the greens at Ferndown are interesting without being wild, 16 breaks this mould as it’s a fantastical multi-tiered surface where placing your ball on the same tier as the pin will mean you’ll have relied on luck as much as skill and good judgement.

The course is by no means long, and its par fives all offer genuine opportunities for birdie, but to offer contrast to this, the dogleg par fours at the 9th, where there is a tiger-line available to cut the corner, and the rising left to right dogleg 13th, that extends to 452 yards uphill before approaching an oversized false-fronted green, help bring some needed muscle to the course. Ferndown is not an easy place to score though, due to its tight tree-lined routing and tricky bunkering arrangements, accuracy will be key to any golfer who wants to play a round that does justice to their handicap.

May 21, 2019

Stuart Eastwood

Arriving early at the golf club, friendly staff and members made us feel most welcome. Yes, the starter was a bit long winded on the do's and don'ts but as the vista over the golf course is so picturesque, it was easy enough to focus on something else. The course itself is so playable and an easy walk. The greenkeeping is to a very high standard with a particular shout out to the greens and truly excellent bunkers. At just over 6,200 yards from the yellow society tees, some will find the course a tad short but perfect for the senior player. I loved the first hole, found a couple of short par 4’s fun to play and honestly could not find any hole to fault. Perhaps not as challenging as Broadstone but of the top Dorset courses, this must rank as the most enjoyable to walk and play.

March 22, 2019

Stephen Killick

When I go to a golf club, especially a well-established one, I like to feel like a member for the day. On tour in Dorset playing what are widely regarded as the top four clubs in the county, the only place I did not get that was the day we played Ferndown Old.

If the criteria for reviews posted on these web pages are purely the golf course then I concede that the Old Course at Ferndown is a first class layout delivering a decently smooth flow between green and tee box with some genuinely terrific golf holes in the mix.

Yet despite paying £110 each, visitors are clearly deemed as secondary to members and are given their own changing room where there is a large poster with the correct clothing shown on one side and the incorrect stuff on the other. I seriously doubt that anyone wearing flip-flops, denim cut-offs and a football top would head to Ferndown anyway, but he would never get past the door.

There is a sign in the car park telling visitors do not change into golf shoes outside and when one leaves the changing room one is given another list of dos and don’ts from the starter. One cannot take one’s clubs within five yards of the green. Why?

I quite understand why one should not take a golf trolley into the heather, but what is wrong with taking it nearer the green? Unfortunately my shirt had slipped out and I was told to put it back in. It was rather like being back at school and one was embarking on one’s first round. My fourball included our club professional who is not likely to lack the required etiquette and nor were me or my two other companions.

The course redeems much of this although there were no stroke savers so on holes like the short par five ninth it is not clear to the first time visitor what the line is. And only being able to walk on designated paths adds time to one’s round for no apparent reason.

There is a lengthy instruction on the short par four 16th where one plays left of a fiendishly tiered green that is rather like reading a legal document explaining the risks to the individual golfer of slicing into adjoin gardens. Two more fine finishing holes, take us up the clubhouse.

Sadly we also experienced a very much them and us atmosphere in there too with members getting served even if they had approached the bar after us and not one of the three women working behind the bar ever looked up at us to say, ‘I will be with you in a minute.’

So there it is: a four to five star golf course in a beautiful setting with slick, immaculately maintained greens, but as an overall experience that I would take away with me from my day no more than three. It would be the one course of Dorset's top four that I would not return to.

May 03, 2018

Ian Walton
May 23, 2018

I am sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy your experience at Ferndown Golf Club. I have taken note of your feedback and will consider what further steps we can take to ensure visitors, who are most welcome at Ferndown, do feel like a member for the day (which is our wish). Delighted that you enjoyed the golf course and we do hope that you will visit us again. Ian Walton GM

Brian Stapleton
May 27, 2018

We played Ferndown as visitors and we thought we got a very warm welcome. The changing rooms were fine and we didn't mind the visitors changing room being separate. The course was in fantastic condition and it looks like they have done a lot of work on it in recent years. We thought it was the nicest course we played out of the top 4 Dorset courses and should now be much higher rated and would recommend anyone to play it if they are going to Dorset

Dan Hare

Played last week in lovely sunshine in great condition and 4 of us had a fantastic game on a beautiful, tough, well conditioned course. Alone of the 3 classics in the area, Ferndown has a highly recommended summer twilight rate after 3:30 pm which was taken up by ours and one other group with no one else joining the course. As an aside, I don't understand why more clubs don't do this to encourage use of their expensively maintained courses, adding some bonus revenue whilst not inconveniencing their members. West Hill also does this in contrast to its neighbours. Anyway, the golf is excellent with a stunningly presented 1st hole gently downhill from the friendly clubhouse towards heather, stately trees, and blinding revetted, heather fringed white sand bunkers. The course maintains an excellent quality throughout with several par 4's that you have to check weren't par 5's just in case you had scraped a par. The greens were sloping and quick, and on numerous occasions we commented on what a quality but fun course Ferndown is. Can't wait to play the 3 nearly courses that are apparently even better !

May 17, 2017

Ed Battye

Ferndown is one of those golf courses that simply looks the business, the bees knees, the mutts nuts… I could go on. It must be a photographer’s dream.

Standing on the first tee you look down the hole and your eyes take in a beautifully defined fairway, a mass of heather-topped frilly bunkers, with flashes of white sand, and glorious pine trees framing the hole. This is just about repeated another 17 times throughout the round.

Optically the course reminded me of West Hill in Surrey and if this is what you like, and let’s face it most of us do, then you will enjoy your round here. And whilst it’s not an easy golf course it isn’t too taxing either so a good score is to be had; the fairways are generous, the property is relatively flat and you won’t be able to blame the greens for a missed putt because they roll extremely true. Tangle with the heather, fall victim to the many bunkers or say hello to the pine trees though and you may have a different tale to tell.

At 6,508 yards (par 71) this Harold Hilton designed course, founded in 1913, is no brute but there are a few dog-leg holes where driver from the tee may not be the correct choice nor may it be at the excellent eighth where a desert of sand awaits a pulled drive just as the fairway bottlenecks before you pitch to a green hanging tantalisingly on the hillside.

The other hole that really caught my eye was the “driveable” 16th. I say driveable because there is actually a sign on the tee discouraging you from going for it, and in truth it probably isn’t the sensible play anyway. What it is though is a magnificent hole and this is thanks to a unique semi-circular, three-tiered green that falls slightly away from the angle of play. Getting close to the green is easy, staying on it is harder and putting your ball in the hole once on it can be trickier than a Rubik’s Cube if you find yourself on the wrong level. Quite brilliant.

Looking back now a few days later and my favourite holes were the ones with a bit more elevation change. For anyone who reads my reviews (all two of you) you’ll know my personal preference is for golf courses that have a bit more movement in the land, offer strategic options on how to play each hole, promote the ground game and are very natural in appearance. Ferndown doesn’t quite tickle my taste buds in this respect, however, if you favour appearance and conditioning over strategy and terrain then Ferndown is the course for you.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

May 10, 2017

David Oliver

Played on 8 March. Lovely golf course which should only get better with the extensive work being undertaken. There were a couple of temporary greens but fair play to the club for offering a discount on the green fee. Many standout holes including 4, 5, 9, 11, 15 & 18. Just wished 14 was open as this looked a stunning par 3. A very good course and one I will play again when the work has been completed.

March 10, 2017

ian moore

Just got back from 5 days of golf in Bournemouth, we played Ferndown gc on the 2nd day, we all thought it was a great golf course in imacculate condition. The downside was having paid £85.00 for a round we were made to play off the yellow forward tees, this wouldnt have been to bad but most tees were put right to the front by the ladies tees. We were all single figure handicaps, and felt the course played way to short. We also played Broadstone, Isle of Purbeck, Parkstone, and Remedy Oak, and the all allowed us to play off there back tees.

September 14, 2016