Remedy Oak - Dorset - England

• Clare Regan

• John Jacobs

• Nigel Tokely

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Remedy Oak

Remedy Oak opened for play in November 2005 and Englishman and former Ryder Cup Captain John Jacobs designed the golf course. Set in more than 250 acres of ancient woodland near Horton in Dorset, Remedy Oak immediately appears mature beyond its tender years. John Jacobs commented: “When I first saw the location for Remedy Oak, I knew it had the potential to be one of the best courses in the UK. To see it now, I feel that potential has been realised.”

With a girth of more than six metres, the Remedy Oak tree, which is located a couple of miles from the course, is legendary. Apparently the nine-year-old Boy King, King Edward VI sat under the oak tree and “touched for Kings Evil”. Kings Evil was a medieval custom whereby the King could touch and heal people with skin diseases.

Miracles cannot be guaranteed at Remedy Oak Golf Club but we can vouch for the fact that it’s perhaps the most exclusive golf club south of the M25 and the course is highly polished with immaculate tee to green grooming. Remedy Oak is also home to the Legends Charity Golf Classic, where cricketer Sir Ian Botham hosts an annual charity event in aid of Leukaemia Research.

Many people in the know reckon Remedy Oak is one of the finest inland golf courses in Britain but few people had the chance to experience the course when it first opened. Thankfully the club now welcomes visitors and the word on the street is that the rather expensive green fee is worth every penny.

Reviews for Remedy Oak

Description: Remedy Oak Golf Club opened for play in November 2005 and former Englishman and Ryder Cup Captain John Jacobs designed the golf course, which is set in more than 250 acres of ancient woodland... Rating: 5.0454545454545 out of 6

I have never seen a better site for a modern inland UK golf course in more than thirty years of looking. The land on which Remedy Oak is laid out is truly magnificent and I have to say that the course exceeded my expectations.

Dorset still remains one of my blind(ish) spots golfing wise, but I’m slowly but surely working my way through the list (it will take a little more time).

There’s more than a hint of Woburn here (Remedy Oak is better than any Woburn course in my opinion) and there’s a dash of Bearwood Lakes, which Remedy Oak easily surpasses in my view.

In my review for Ferndown, which I posted some eighteen months ago, I said: “ If the Old course at Ferndown Golf Club is the fourth best course in Dorset then Broadstone, Remedy Oak and Parkstone must be out of this world.” For me, Remedy Oak is a better course than Ferndown, but not by a country mile.

The reason I think Remedy is better than Ferndown is purely down to the site which I’ve already stated is magnificent. The land has the perfect amount of movement and I’d struggle to identify a weak hole. There’s a great mix of short, mid and long par fours, a couple of reachable (in two for the handicap golfer) par fives and one-shot holes that vary in length from more than 200 yards to less than 150 yards. For me this type of configuration is perfect as it offers engagement and variation throughout the round.

Remedy Oak 9th terraced tees

Too many modern courses are a slog for the average golfer, but not so at Remedy Oak. We played from the white tees (6,466 yards) and felt it was a perfectly manageable test. Open Qualifying will be staged here in a week or so and the 7010-yard tips will no doubt test all the aspiring Open champions. The yellow tees measure 6,053 yards and ladies tees 5,395 yards. Remedy Oak really is a course that can be enjoyed by every standard of golfer, but be prepared for a number of forced carries over water, which messed with my brain on a couple of occasions.

There’s so much to like at Remedy Oak. Width and scale is evident on virtually every hole, and small things, such as false-fronted greens and the wonderful terraced tee boxes on #9, endorse the fact that you’re playing at a quality venue.

Remedy Oak 7th hole

If I’m being very picky, the routing is a tad awkward in places, with a couple of longish walks from green to tee (but it’s still a very walkable course), and the bunker shaping (while well positioned and of high modern quality) is a tad uninspiring.

These may be very small personal niggles, but we’re talking fine lines between the very good and the excellent. For me Remedy Oak falls into the very good category with the caveat that excellence is by no means out of reach.

As an aside, it always intrigues why clubs feel it’s necessary to annex a “headline” designer. I’m sure the late John Jacobs, who was instrumental in getting the European Tour off the ground, had plenty of input into the design here at Remedy Oak some 12 years ago – I can certainly see a similarity between the Dorset bunkering and the traps at The Buckinghamshire – but I think Jonathan Gaunt routed the Remedy Oak layout. Whoever was involved should be very proud indeed; it’s a cracking golf course.

May 26, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Remedy Oak is a prestigious, exclusive and unique golf course recently constructed in Dorset and was the brainchild of local businessman Bill Riddle.

Since opening its doors in 2006 it has quickly established itself as one Southern England’s finest and arguably the best inland course in the country that doesn’t play over a heathland. Its reputation was enhanced further when it was awarded Regional Qualifying for the Open Championship until 2018.

It is clearly a special, beautiful and tranquil place to play golf with secluded fairways that have been carved through ancient woodland on a site that covers more than 250 acres.

As somebody whose heart lies on the linksland I sometimes struggle to objectively look at courses like this. I personally believe the soul of the game lies in the ground game, the running nature of golf and this is never, and can never, be replicated on a property like this. Here you must carry the ball through the air and play the aerial game, the number of forced carries also ensure this is the case.

With that in mind I then look for what strategy and options are presented to golfer and in this regard Remedy Oak scores highly. There are number of excellent risk-reward holes throughout the round, none better than the exceptional second. For any realistic chance of reaching the green at this par five you must work your ball right-to-left off the tee before playing from a downhill lie to a green fronted by water which also wraps itself around the right of the putting surface.

So what’s not to like? Very little in fact. There were perhaps a couple of forced carries too many for my personal liking and I suspect the course may not quite play as well in the deepest winter months but otherwise there is nothing really to be critical of at Remedy Oak. There is a fantastic relaxed feel to The Club, excellent practice facilities and the clubhouse fits perfectly into the surroundings.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

May 15, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

Played on 6 March. Unfortunately owning the site receiving a fair amount of rain recently, the course was drenched and a number of fairways had no dry areas at all. From the previous comments on the course, it would seem that at certain times of the year the conditioning is decent, however, the soil did not seem to drain at all. This is hardly the course is fault although it spoiled the enjoyment. I have disregarded the conditioning for this review and concentrated on design, variety, aesthetics and challenge.

It's a tough golf course especially when there is no run on the fairways. There are some fabulous holes including 1, 2, 5, 10, 14 and 15. In terms of design, it could have been built by Jack Niclaus as there seemed to be a number of left to right holes (6) and only 1 "draw" hole. Some holes were, I'm sorry to say bland. Staff were friendly and welcoming. It was also very good value for money.

March 10, 2017

See other reviews from this reviewer

The final stop on our Dorset tour. This is more your modern day club. A relatively new course, ranked number 2 in the county and its easy to see why. Its an experience – from the endless drive from club gates to car park, the welcome at reception, the introduction on the first tee, the practice facilities – everything is done to make your time at Remedy Oak a full experience.

As to the course, it costs a little more than its other illustrious neighbours of Ferndown and Broadstone, but for the sheer experience its worth the fee. Clearly its not the sort of green fee you’d be expecting to pay at your average local course, but as a one-off, whilst away on tour, definitely add it to the schedule.

The course is much more tree-lined, forest based than the gorse and heather of other courses in the area, and uses the natural landscaping well to carve out some lovely holes. As you’d expect from a modern course, water comes into play on numerous holes, each representing great “risk & reward” opportunities and also at the par 3 11th. The 18th too, is a great finishing hole across water from a downslope approach.

In terms of condition, this is the one area we felt the course could have scored a little better. The first green was not in good shape, it appears to sit in a shady area and as a result was strangely very slow (compared to the rest of the course). There were also several areas near to greens that seemed to be lacking of any maintenance which meant that it could be pot luck in the lie you acquired – of course if you hit a lot of greens then you wouldn’t experience this so much ! The greens in general appeared to quicken as we went around the course; we felt they were decent, if not the same quality of Ferndown. One other thing, some of the walks between greens and tees were a little excessive, but again this is typical of the modern day, buggy laden courses that are now the norm.

These minor things aside, we found the whole experience thoroughly enjoyable.

July 19, 2016

See other reviews from this reviewer
Having played the majority of the top 100 courses, and more besides, it is no surprise that this course is ranked so highly after such a short life. In my humble opinion it isn’t ranked highly enough. The course has recently been closed for 7 or 8 months for the greens to be re-laid but you would never have known; the greens were excellent as was the rest of the course. The par 3s and the par 5s in particular were excellent with the par 3 4th at 224 yards being the pick of the par 3s and the 2nd and the 15th both excellent par 5s. I can only agree with comments made by others that the one aspect of the course that was really noteworthy was the incredibly friendly reception that everyone receives on arrival and throughout the stay. I just wish my golf and my back had allowed me to do the course justice. I for one will certainly be back. I couldn’t agree with the negative comment about the clubhouse, which fitted the course well – a modern classic.
October 12, 2015

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Paul
November 01, 2015
Whilst there was a lot to like at Remedy - the site is fantastic, it has some great holes (14 and 15 from memory), there are many shortcomings. The routing is awful - lots of big walks between tees and greens, there are some poor holes (8 and 18 top of the list) and what should have been some high points like 2 are ruined by their heroic/penal risk/reward nature (water too close to the front of green to encourage more than some real long hitters to have a go). I played in August 3yrs ago and the course was much wetter than similar courses I had played on at that time, so drainage is clearly not good. I would rate it as a 4 - maybe 4.5 on a bright sunny day with some good run on the ball - and there are certainly better modern inland courses, not least Bearwood Lakes, Centurion, Queenwood and Woburn Marquess. Given the site, this was an opportunity missed but still, overall, a very nice course. I just wonder how it will survive given its more isolated location and three crackers at half the price in Bournemouth Paul
To this reviewer: this is the best new inland course built in recent years. It has one obvious drawback: it was built on clay, and does not drain very well. That said, given dry weather, with the possible exception of the slightly silly short par 4 8th, these are uniformly beautiful, nicely framed holes, with differing challenges, that require different shapes of shot. Every hole requires thought or it will bite you. Each is better for being cut through forest and mature trees, because the course looks much older than it in fact is.Very good conditioning, good greens, nice staff and all the amenities one could want.
July 07, 2013

See other reviews from this reviewer
Third round at Remedy since the course opened and pleased to report that everything is maturing nicely and we have the makings of a modern classic here. The atmosphere at the club lends itself to plenty of enjoyment and a lot of relaxation which is certainly down to the environment and a team onsite of very customer focussed staff. I do try to make comparisons with other courses I play and try to group them together by style of course or age of course, so the obvious four would be Woburn’s Marquess, Wentworth’s Edinburgh and Brocket Hall’s Palmerston for the style and then Bearwood Lakes for the age (and also the course quality). After playing all of these several times now, I think I give Remedy Oak the top slot but only just as all of the others are 5-ball rated for me too. I mentioned the great 2nd hole in my review dated 19/09/2009 which is just a brilliant par-5 – other great holes include the long and testing good looking par-3 4th, the strong dog-legging 10th where you just have to be on the left of the fairway to set-up your approach shot and maybe the par-5 15th could challenge the 2nd hole as best on the course? This one has a creek running the length of the hole which has to be crossed twice before reaching a very tricky green. I wish the club plenty of success because they present a very good looking course and do it in a classy manner. Would also hope to see a positive move at the next re-rank.
June 01, 2013

See other reviews from this reviewer
What a fantastic modern course. Built in an idyllic setting, it winds its way through beautiful natural Dorset countryside, with plenty of nature and wildlife to admire. No two holes are the same, with numerous water hazards, many deep vast bunkers and plenty of trees to navigate your way around. Stoke index 1 and 2 are extremely testing holes, both demanding a carefully placed tee shot to leave mid to long iron approaches. The par 5's are all spectacular, with the stand out hole being no.2 which requires an approach shot to a island green with water on 3 sides. It's a classy course and it keeps you interested all the way through. This could arguably be the finest non-heathland inland course in England, and I highly recommend playing it if you are given the opportunity.
May 18, 2013

See other reviews from this reviewer
I had the pleasure of playing here on the 19th feb in a charity day & I had heard good things about this place so I was looking forward to the day very much.The practice range is very good but the putting green was closed which for such a grand place was a bit surprising. The course is laid out very well over a great piece of land & there is lots of good holes (with some very pretty back drops) that will test your all round game, This course reminds me of the new courses that have been built in Turkey over the last few years with lots of bunkers & very sloping greens which can lead to many 3 putts.The greens were very very wet which was a bit of a surprise to me as this course must have been built to a high standard & I did notice quite a lot of moss around the greens & tees but I guess this must be due in part to the very wet weather we have had this last year.My only disappointment was the club house it really dose not do the place justice it's to much like a big barn which is not that warm & welcoming & lacks a heart. But the staff were very nice & very helpful. I know people will say that the course is the most important thing & yes that's true but playing at such places should be more than just the course the whole experience is what playing at top venues is about to me. this is why I think places like The Berkshire, Sunningdale,Woburn & other courses have the edge over Remedy Oak.
February 22, 2013

Dave Brown
February 28, 2013
I know the course pretty well and I have gone for a 5-ball ranking in the past, so a 4-ball is not a million miles away but I do have a small issue with this review though... An inland course in the south of England being a little wet in February after one of the wetest winters on record - not really fair to be critical I think. Plus comparing Remedy with The Berkshire and Sunningdale who have 100+ years of history and built of very different ground is also a little unfair. NB The three courses at Woburn have been very wet recently too. Lastly, I understand that the clubhouse is different to others but I have always found it welcoming .... plus the reviews should be only about the courses as the site is not called The Top 100 Golf Clubhouses in the World ... Now there is an idea....
adrian foster
November 13, 2015
I'm very sorry for giving my honest opinion on my day at this golf club As I said in my review the course was good with many great holes I think you will find that the club has relayed the green in the Last year so my comment about the moss was correct. The way I judge a day's golf is not just the course but the Whole package you get from the visit. If this is not relevant then why would he comment About the staff!
Had the pleasure of playing the course with a member and I was extremely impressed, upon arrival I was the first of my group and the staff could not have done enough for me, they even offered free range balls whilst I waited, and the range itself is top-notch, proper grass to play off and high quality range balls.As for the course, wow, wonderfully manicured and in a beautiful woodland setting. The greens are huge and undulating, be prepared from some good challenging putting! Despite a very enjoyable challenging course it is very forgiving in the right places and wayward shoots are not going to leave you feeling frustrated.Having played a number of the UKs premier courses this one now takes top billing for me.....cannot wait to go back!
August 12, 2012