Fox Chapel - Pennsylvania - USA

Fox Chapel Golf Club,
426 Fox Chapel Road,
Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania (PA) 15238,

The affluent Pittsburgh suburb of Fox Chapel is home to one of Seth Raynor’s best, yet least celebrated designs – perhaps the fact that Fox Chapel Golf Club lies a couple of miles across the Allegheny River from the mighty Oakmont Country Club has something to do with it being overlooked by many?

Nevertheless, the charm of Fox Chapel goes way beyond the stucco walls and red-tile roofs of its old clubhouse and – ever since its inception in 1923 – generations of golfers have fallen under the classic design spell of its esteemed architect.

Many improvements have been made over the years to maintain the validity of the course in the modern era, with a recent program of tree removal a prime example of keeping the layout true to the Raynor vision; that of a course which “rewards the well struck golf shot while appropriately penalizing the ill-advised stroke”.

Measuring a challenging 6,706 yards from the championship tees with a lowly par of 70 (par 73 for women), Fox Chapel was an unqualified success as host course for the 32nd Curtis Cup match in 2002, with the ladies of the USA team winning the match against Great Britain and Ireland by 11 points to 7.

Rudo, aka Mr Top 100, commented as follows: "I played Fox Chapel for the first time in September 2013 and was looking forward to the return. It is a classic Raynor design with one of the great Biarritz holes anywhere (#17). Other great holes certainly include #2 (a short uphill par 5 to a punchbowl green), #3 (a downhill Eden par 3), #6 (a wonderful Redan par 3), #8 (a tough long par 4, uphill to a brilliantly situated green), as well as #11, 13, 16, and 18 on the back. Playing a course such as Fox Chapel reaffirms my belief that Seth Raynor is golf’s most brilliant course architect."

Reviews for Fox Chapel

Description: The affluent Pittsburgh suburb of Fox Chapel is home to one of Seth Raynor’s best, yet least celebrated designs... Fox Chapel Golf Club. Rating: 9 out of 10 Reviews: 4
Javier Pintos

This one came I will not say as a surprise, but at least unexpected. I have to be honest and as well as with Mountain Lake, I was not fully aware of it and the inmense quality it had. And when talking about Seth Raynor, quality is really high end golf course design, challenge, creativity and variety not only in holes creation but greens design.

At Fox Chapel you have them all (Punchbowl, Alps, Eden, Biarritz, Redan, etc) and very well used. If you Fox Chapel Golf Course - Photo by reviewer add a fantastic Club House, a ProShop that just says “Buy everything” and being hosted by a very kind Member it just makes the perfect combo.

The invite to Fox Chapel came after I was confirmed 2 rounds at my lifetime dream (Oakmont) and I have to say this couldn’t have been a better warm up for the one I expected more. I had already been almost 2 weeks in The States, played 11 rounds up to that day and although I was tired my body knew I had to get some more strength out of anywhere to play these final 3 rounds.

Early flight from Miami to Pittsburgh and 45mins Uber to the course the course where Ron was on the first tee waiting for me. The only thing I could do before quick shoes change at lockers room was take a picture with the board 1973 Club Champion (my year of birth) who happens to be a very good friend from Oak Hill CC, then I was not even able to take 1 practice putt and directly to the first tee to hit a baby cut to the fairway and start to enjoy one of the finest courses I have played in USA. Ron was just coming out of shoulder surgery and said to me he was not sure to be able to play more than 3-4 holes but that he would be happy to back me in my round. As long as the holes passed and with some advice on how to balance the pain with his swing he started to hit the ball and was able to complete the round which made me so happy I could be helpful to a man of my father’s age who is still in the game and trying to get better every day.

I feel to make it clear that having scored a great round, with maybe the best ball striking of the year, Fox Chapel Golf Course - Photo by reviewer is not influencing my opinion that Fox Chapel is just great and well deserved USA Top 100. If I had putted better the score would have been unbelievable, but it happens and I was all the same able to enjoy a great round.

There are many holes to detail, will go with some of them:

- Par 3 3rd Hole, with a water hazard which is not really in play for single digit golfers but with a great left to right breaking green, name is Eden and you will imagine which hole it tributes ….

- Par 4 5th Cape is a short one where iron is the mandatory tee shot, trust me. And even with that club the tee shot gets you if you miss!

- Par 3 6th Redan which is a reverse design from left to right is one of the very greats, I hit a perfect tee shot landing it by the pin and went almost 15m long!

- Short 7 Alps is reachable, but everything left or right will require magic!

- Alfter Double Plateau 8th (very similar to Mountain Lake 2nd), you stop for a Hot dog and a beer in one of those charming half way houses, but before you hit the drive on 9th!

- How good is Short 11th? A perfect proof that length is not necessary for a great hole!

- I loved the tee shot on dogleg Fox Chapel Golf Course - Photo by reviewer 13th where a high cut is needed, very similar to my home course 11th hole and the sharper you go the better and closer you get to the green.

- Biarritz 240yds 17th where I bombed my 2 iron is in my opinion the best hole on the course and one of those greens which should be never touched. Ron stated the channel separating both platforms might be too deep with no chance of placing a pin there, but go miss the platform and try to two putt!

- 18th was a little bit disappointing not because of the hole but because I failed to birdie it after the best tee shot of the day, but the hole is great! And the elevated Club House offers a very nice picture as well.

One thing I pointed to Ron is that in early fall, the mix of colors would be great and he encouraged me to go back in that time of the year which I will try to do, trust me the image will be great.

After that some Members Locker Room enjoying beer after a hole in one that had been made earlier and then off to Oakmont. But Fox Chapel filled and ticked every box of what a great golf course and golf club has to be. Members are always a great part of the Club’s spirit and many of the stories shared by Ron just confirm that.

Before leaving I made sure FC remains in my mind and bought some very nice stuff at the shop, one of the things us golfers do every time we visit a special one. And this is one is one of those!

June 26, 2019

michael nowacki

I've had the pleasure of playing a few Seth Raynor courses, including Fishers Island and Yale. Fox Chapel is another Raynor gem. There's a good balance between long par 4s and short par 4s. The yardage is short, but it is a par 70 with only two par 5s. The greens are truly marvelous and play some defense against scoring. It is one of the most enjoyable courses I've ever played.

May 20, 2018

Javier Pintos
May 15, 2019

Have u played Mountain Lake? A pure golf jewel, I played 36 holes last Friday in 4.5hs!! Nobody on the course, just me and 3-4 more foursomes!

Steve MacQuarrie
The Seth Raynor Society visited Fox Chapel in September, 2015 and Superintendent Jason Hurwitz had a special treat for the Raynor aficionados: the greens were double cut and double rolled. And to top things off, the most diabolical hole locations were used…..a number of them within a few paces of Raynor’s splendid, but precipitous bunker faces. The greens here are huge and the combination of speed, contours and size made for abundant three putting. The greens are composed of Poa Annua, but something about the local micro-climate keeps them quite smooth, even in the afternoon. Raynor’s template holes were also in abundance and many (#2 Punchbowl, #6 Redan, #7 Alps, #11 Short and #17 Biarritz) are among the maestro’s best. The course is missing a double plateau, the result of A.W. Tillinghast blowing altering #13 and replacing Raynor’s green with a dull, flat one. The only other green that’s not an original is said to be #4, the result of a Bobby Jones recommendation after his putt escaped the green and came to rest out of bounds on Fox Chapel Road.In addition to his templates, Raynor built a number of fine originals, including #s 9 and #10. The former is named Dustpan and once featured a Lion’s Mouth bunker, so named because the green extends around both sides of the hazard. Fazio Golf has been hired to perform redesign and it’s anticipated that these lost features will be restored. And while the line of charm is present on many tee shots, many fairway bunkers are no longer in play, another issue that Fazio’s work should resolve.There some (including some locals) who feel this is the best golf course in western Pennsylvania. While I am not among them, being a close runner-up to Oakmont is hardly an insult.
September 27, 2015

Fergal O'Leary
The architect needs no introduction. The names of the holes need no introduction. As Raynor was making his way through Pennsylvania in 1923, the town of Fox Chapel was about to establish itself on the golfing map. With horses traversing the golf course shaping the iconic greens and rolling fairways, the evolution of a masterpiece was underway. As my eyes studied the scorecard on the 1st tee, I could feel my mouth watering as I saw the names of the holes and was about to embark on a trip down memory lane. Click the link to read Fergal’s full report on Fox Chapel.
October 02, 2013