The 18-hole course at Green Valley Country Club originally started out as a public layout named Marble Hall Golf Course. Designed and operated for twenty years by local architect William Flynn, it was sold to the membership of Green Valley in 1944 after they had decided to decamp from their Roxborough property, leaving their old Willie Park Junior-designed course behind.
Two years later, J. B. McGovern, a long-standing associate of Donald Ross, revised and re-sequenced the course. Writing in The American Private Golf Club Guide, Daniel Wexler said "there remains plenty of good golf here, with the front nine featuring the 525-yard 3rd (where a creek must be carried on the second) and a pair of pond-guarded par 3s, the 194-yard 4th and the 156-yard 8th."
A quality member's course and clearly benefits from the fine touches provided by the gifted architect William Flynn. The collective nature of the holes is good -- but hardly meriting equal attention seen with other Flynn standout layouts throughout the broader area.
As has been mentioned -- a number of superfluous trees were smartly removed thereby enhancing the strategic options.
Turf quality is very good and the mixture of the putting greens -- both in size and how they are angled -- makes for a number of engaging approach shots. These include the par-4 5th and par-4 13th hole.
Green Valley offers enough golf quality to be fun to play but the totality of the Flynn effort is a good bit behind the stellar layouts found in the greater Philadelphia area.
M. James Ward