Heswall Golf Club on the Wirral peninsula lies on the Dee estuary and it was here, in 1902, that Jack Morris – professional at Royal Liverpool and nephew of Old Tom Morris – laid out the club’s original 18-hole course.
Subsequent alterations were made by Harry Vardon, Frank Pennink and Donald Steel down the years. The Pennink changes in 1972 came about due to the acquisition of the Island Field from Farmer Bower. This allowed for the introduction of new holes at the 12th and 13th, the abandonment of the 7th hole for a practice area, and the redesign of the 18th hole to play from the old 7th tee to the home green.
In the new millennium, architects Mackenzie & Ebert oversaw a course extension involving three new holes on land adjacent to the coastline, with the relocation of three greens and three sets of tees on the existing course.
Nowadays, the layout extends to 6,837 yards from the back tees, playing to a par of 72. Feature holes include the par three 4th which is played towards the River Dee and the short par four 18th, where a closing birdie is a possibility if golfers can avoid the bunkers that circle the home green.