Prestatyn - North Wales - Wales

• Chris Owens

• Fred Collins

• Not known

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Prestatyn

Founded in 1905, Prestatyn Golf Club had an 18-hole course in play the following year. Nine of the original fairways were lost to development in 1921 but another nine were in play within twelve months, enabling members to resume with a full complement of holes.

The land on which the most northerly golf course in mainland Wales lies was owned by Lord Aberconway and when he died in the late 1950s, both course and clubhouse were sold to pay death duties. The local Council managed to compulsorily purchase the layout from its new owner a short time after before it was leased back to the club.

Set out on a 150-acre tract of land known as “morfa,” meaning bog or sea-marsh in the Welsh tongue, the course lies between the coastal rail line and the Irish Sea. A canal – known as the “Prestatyn Gutter” – runs through the links and it’s been the ruin of many a poor golfer down the years.

Reviews for Prestatyn

Description: Prestatyn Golf Club is the most northerly course in mainland Wales and is routed across 150 acres of natural links land. It represents a challenge when the prevailing southwesterly blows. Rating: 4.2 out of 6 Reviews: 6

Prestatyn is a fine championship links course on the North Wales coast and is easy to see why it’s regularly selected for the country’s top events.

In 2015 it hosted the Welsh Amateur Championship amongst other tournaments and at 6,825 yards from the back tee markers there’s no doubt this varied links is a test for the very best.

There’s a good mix of holes throughout the round which in my opinion gets better and more interesting as the round progresses. The stretch of holes from the 10th through to the 14th is of a particularly high standard.

The front nine, played closer to the sea but on flatter and softer ground, goes about its business in an economical manner but still has plenty of challenge and presents several options on a number of holes. Indeed an important choice must be made on the very first tee as to how much of the marshland you should bite off on your tee-shot. A tough decision with your first strike of the day!

I enjoyed a beautifully clam day for my round at Prestatyn but I can imagine when the wind blows it can become a different beast altogether.

North Wales has a great mix of golf courses and is a popular destination for visiting golfers from both near and far. A round at Prestatyn should be an essential part of any itinerary when heading to this part of the country. The green-fees are already well priced but The Club also run a number of open competitions throughout the year which offer even better value.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

March 07, 2017

After an absence of around 15 years since making an annual trip with a society, I decided to return to Prestatyn for some winter golf, as my course dug up 4 greens at the end of 2015, and is also not the best course off-season anyway. After speaking to the friendly secretary, Chris, who advised the course was in great shape and that they pretty much play full tees and greens all year, 2 friends and I decided to go and play.

I’ll cut to the quick and say right now that we returned several times over the next few months and have since all joined as PGC members in 2016. The course is in very good condition and you couldn’t wish for a friendlier welcome, with a core of dedicated members also helping out around the club, so it’s easy to feel at home.

As to the layout, PGC opens with a few fairly featureless holes which serve well to ease you into the round but from the 4th onwards the links really comes into it’s own. The finer grasses from here onwards also create options for a ‘running game’ on most holes (except the 8th which can be wet in winter). Once you reach the 11th, the course really starts to peak and from here to the 18th, you will struggle to find a better stretch of holes anywhere. And then there’s the wind ! ... Most holes play up or down the prevailing wind, so take the good holes when you can and hold onto your score when going into the teeth of it. The par 3 17th can play anything from a wedge to a wood ! The rough isn’t as penal as at some links either, which makes for a more enjoyable round by all. If you are from the school of low single-figures and subscribe to the fact a course has to be tough to be good, and sit in the bar afterwards lauding it was a real test because you struggled to break 80, then probably best to avoid here …. To everyone else I say come along and you will enjoy it ! Prestatyn held both the Welsh Amateur and the British Senior Ladies Open Amateur championships in 2015, where a truly international field gave glowing reports of the course.

I don’t think I can give any greater testament though than the fact that I put my money where my mouth is and joined.

With a small team of green staff, you clearly won’t get the conditions seen at some of the ‘classic’ links but having played well over 200 courses in my time, I’m pretty certain you won’t get a friendlier welcome or better value for money than at Prestatyn.

July 11, 2016

My friends and I have spent many years visiting the North Wales and Lancashire coast playing Prestatyn amongst other courses. Until recently the condition has been average, however last year and this year the course is amongst the best I have played in the area. The definition, fairways to rough is superb, the views are beautiful also. The course is laid out very well and it is a real test. the history of the club says it all.I have to say that sitting on the balcony watching everyone finish on the 18th capped the day just perfectly. Well done Prestatyn, we look forward to our next visit.
August 03, 2014

I played the course recently as a guest of a member and I have to say that after reading the few reviews on here and other sites I was pleasantly surprised at my experience at Prestatyn.Yes it is rather flat and you cant see the sea (so what!) but the course offers a really good test for all golfers. We played it in fairly benign conditions but I can imagine if the wind blows it would offer even the best golfers a stern test. The par 3's in particular are very demanding and I hit 4 iron and 5 iron into the first 2 par 3's and even though the 17th is a shorter hole, 9 iron, it is still requires a good shot to get close to the flag.The rest of the holes are all different and again unlike a lot of links golf where you have blind tees shots and blind second shots, Prestatyn is laid out in front of you and offers a different test. Judging distance is crucial and if you miss the fairways beware!! The rough was brutal when we played and made it a plotters course rather than a smash and grab!Our group comprised of 4 players with handicaps of +1, 1, 3 and 14 and we all thoroughly enjoyed the day and the challenge that Prestatyn presented us. None of us played top our handicaps either!Having played a number of courses in Wales including the Royal ones and other courses ranked higher I can honestly say that Prestatyn offers a good test on any day and should you be lucky enough, or good enough, to play to or better your handicap you would have done well.Would I come back? Definitely. Great value, great greens and the sand in the bunkers is perfect.
July 17, 2014

Our party of 12 played here a while back and our thoughts were:- not really a links (almost meadow like on the back nine) and the course is flat as a pancake and quite boring. Sorry to give this a bad report but it does not 'set the pulses racing'. You will have a better test of golf and more fun at Llandudno North Wales, Maesdu and Conwy and if you want a curveball cut across to the awesome Nefyn & District !
January 22, 2008

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
paul edwards
January 30, 2008
I have to dissagree with your coment about it being flat as a pancake, many of the great links courses in the UK are relativly flat (Muirfield) and not all courses carve there way through giant sand dunes. The back nine is the stronger nine at Prestatyn with the finishing 6 holes all varied and challanging, the land used for the course is set against the dunes which gaurd it from the beach and the tides , I will agree that a couple of holes on the front nine are flat ( 1,2&3) but this does not detract from it being a good test of links golf and the course is in good condition all year round, what could make the difference would be the bunkering, if it was upgraded like Conwy with riveted bunkers and pot bunkers then it would be a higher class course, but I suspect that the members like to be able to play to the greens from them rather than splashing out sidewards. Sorry that you found it so uninteresting !
Dewi Henderson
June 14, 2011
To state "almost meadow like on the back nine" leaves me completely baffled. I love links golf and the back nine at Prestatyn is definitely under the links category. Prestatyn GC's web site does no favours to itself by some dull photographs of a classic links course. Definitely better than "Gem".
Paul
October 15, 2012
I have played Bull Bay, Rhyl and Rhos-on-Sea and I would also recommend Prestatyn Golf Club as it is a good links course which is a natural track and opened in 1905 and had a Donald Steel makeover in 1990 (as good as most on that coast). I have played Prestatyn on a number of occasions and it always has good greens and is great value for money.
This is one of the unsung heroes on the North Wales Cost for me and has been a good solid links course for many years , playing over what is natural sandy links ground it has a similar feel to Conwy Golf Club further down the coast although not as tightly bunkered. The course and club are among the most welcoming in the area and you can usually get a good deal during the winter months (winter package £30 all day with Coffee, Bacon Roll & 2 course meal to follow). This is another gem for any “links junkies” like me, you will not be disappointed.
January 21, 2008