Indooroopilly Golf Club was formed in 1925, with Dan Soutar engaged to design a course at St Lucia for a cost of seventy-five guineas plus hotel and travel expenses. The first nine opened in July the following year, with the second nine following a few months later.
In the mid-1950s, membership had doubled to around nine hundred with a 15-year waiting list, so the club purchased 140 riverside acres at Moggill as a means to satisfy demand through building another 18-hole course.
Before work could begin on this new property, land at Long Pocket became available right next to the original site so a new layout was constructed there, designed by Al Howard, with the course opening for play in 1964.
In 1973, the club agreed to exchange its St Lucia course and clubhouse for grounds next to the existing Long Pocket layout, allowing Indooroopilly to operate thirty-six holes from one central location. The old club operation then became the public St Lucia Golf Links.
Sydney-based architect Bob Green was appointed to design the new golf complex in 1976, adding new holes and making changes to the existing course so that four loops of nine holes returned to the clubhouse.
Retired member Hal Whillans became an honorary clerk of works during the three years that this work took place and he’s given credit on the club’s website for his efforts. Ross Watson was then brought in to refine the new development in the mid-1980s.
Modern day club members are in the very fortunate position of having a 36-hole golf complex at their disposal and the four nines can be interchanged to provide six different 18-hole configurations.
The East course (using the Green and Blue nines) is public access, allowing visitor play, but the West course (designated by the Gold and Red nines) is a member only layout.