Formed in 1899 as Albert Park Golf Club, Keysborough moved to its current location at the end of the 1940s when the state government informed the club that the lease on its old course would not be renewed.
Horrie Brown – who would go on to hold the position of course superintendent at the club from 1948 to 1981 – worked alongside Sam Berrimen (the person responsible for laying out courses at Huntingdale and Southern) in setting out eighteen holes on a generous, 220-acre site.
A game at Keysborough Golf Club begins gently with two par fives and the doglegged routing of these holes is repeated many times during the round until another set of back-to-back par fives is reached at holes 16 and 17.
Having successfully negotiated Lake Gyngell en route to the 17th green, golfers then play the 452-yard home hole, rated stoke index 1 on the scorecard. This tough par four doglegs left – with out of bounds down the right – to a heavily contoured green that’s also bunkered to the front and left of the putting surface.The course has hosted many amateur and professional competitions in recent years, most notably the Victorian PGA Championships between 1989 and 1997.