Llao Llao - Argentina

• + 54 294 4445700

• Fernando Pereyra

• Luther Koontz, Emilio Serra

• Fernando Pereyra

Luther Koontz laid out the original front nine holes in 1940 and the second nine was added fifty-four years later in 1994 by Emilio Serra.

"Half an hour past Bariloche," commented Tom Doak in The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, "Llao Llao (pronounced "zhow zhow") is a grand hotel and resort overlooking Nahuel Huapi Lake and mountains beyond.

Its original nine holes are set on a wooded peninsula just past the hotel, with a daunting 220-yard finishing hole over an arm of the lake; but the rest of the holes are squeezed in fairly tightly. The newer nine holes at the foot of the hotel are much less appealing, apart from the narrow par-4 10th around a bay, and the short 11th from a high tee back to a cozy pro shop."

Reviews for Llao Llao

Description: The course at Llao Llao Golf Resort hosted the Argentinean PGA match Play in 1999, 2000 and 2001. Holes 10 and 14 feature Nahuel Huapi Lake which provides a unique golfing landscape. Rating: 6 out of 10 Reviews: 2
Javier Pintos

I have played this Course twice back some years ago and didn't notice review was not posted, but luckily I have good memory plus some pics helped me to supply some more info for those willing to go and play it.

It is set in one of the nicest geographies Llao Llao Golf Course - Photo by reviewer in Argentina and the entire world, with the Nahuel Huapi Lake coming into play in 4 holes, views of it and the snowed mountains almost everywhere and the tall pines forest from 12 to 17 make it just beautiful.

The Course Design is not great, original holes by Luther Koontz were set many years ago (1-2-3 and Back 9) and some time later, maybe 15 years ago Emilio Serra completed the course with 6 new holes which opened in a Junior National Tournament where Tano Goya (current PGA and Euro Tour Players) scored 28-35 to set the Course Record.

This course has 2 different worlds, Llao Llao Golf Course - Photo by reviewer the old and the new. Lets go to the new holes, which are 5 short par 4s and a par 3 on the other side of the road close to the hotel and only 4th hole I would say is a good idea up the hill with fairway breaking from left to right towards the hotel. The other 5 holes are weak, but the setting is so nice that who cares!

As for the Old part, there are many good ones:

- Par 5 1st down the hill.

- Par 4 2nd up the hill with blind second shot is one of the toughers.

- Par 4 10th is the toughest tee shot on the course, dog leg right (similar to 7th at Maidstone) with Lake Llao Llao Golf Course - Photo by reviewer Nahuel Huapi being the Water Hazard!

- 17th and 18th maybe the nices ending to a course in Argentina, another down hill par 5 and a dramatic par 3 over the lake carrying over 185yds.

I would say golf here is more of an experience than a great design, but very enjoyable. If you expect a Top 100 of the World Course, it is not the case. But if you want to play a fun course and then enjoy a nice meal at the small club house, it is an excellent idea.

November 04, 2019

James

The whistling wind is whipping over the vast glacial lake, sending sea like waves shh-ing onto the stoney shore below. The busy trees whinny and sway as I send my ball in a futile gesture toward a towering horizon it will never climb above. At this altitude it looks almost weightless in flight. Brilliant against the verdant slopes. Floating like a condor before finally giving up the fight; coming down to the deep emerald green splendour of the immaculate first fairway that snakes down and up again to the parapet green 500 yards away around the gentle dogleg. Llao Llao Golf Course - Photo by reviewer Following the curves to the right is the inlet on which Llao Llao langours by the lake.

I’ll have to cross that inlet with a long iron I suppose? for the par three 18th.

What a mystical place to play golf. I’ll forgive the four or five holes on the front nine that are in front of the majestic hotel, for being more filler than killer.

There are though, perhaps four or five holes that you just won’t forget. It isn’t long, it’s an easy walk, despite the undulating ground that sits between two mesmeric lakes surrounded by the high mountains. The greens were fantastic. Surprisingly complex for a vacation friendly golf course. You don’t mind three putting here though. Who’s counting?

We reach the turn intoxicated by the epic scenery and fine mountain air as we slip back down to the shore. My Eyes narrow. Searching across the bay for a target. 355 is the direct carry. A little further left then. Success! I’m left with a nine iron. The next one must have hit a vortex? Or maybe it was a crap swing? You decide. But I fish my first ball precipitously from the cold crystal clear water that is 470 metres deep in places. I crunch back up to the green to play my second land-loving ball. A fine double bogey if ever there was one. More photos. Many more photos.

The golf around the club house loops Llao Llao Golf Course - Photo by reviewer back around the first couple of holes nicely, through massively high trees and without too much drama until you reach the 18th. I imagine this is what Cypress point feels like?

I complete my days golf with a simple but delicious lunch in the club cottage. It feels like Gretal freed Hansel in it, or maybe Frodo stopped here on his epic journey? It’s cute and cosy. Alpine style.

I sit with a beer and a lomo de bife, drinking in the vista of the snow-capped peaks and contemplate a night In Bariloche, the lively frontier town I am based in. It’s lake side centre is full of superb restaurants enjoyed by vibrant outdoorsy people, mingling in the microbrewery bars and recounting the varying adventures of the day.

River plate wins the copa libertadores in extra time and suddenly a carnival spills onto the streets and the town is painted red and white for the night. It turns out that soccer is quite popular in South America.

Eventually, I prize myself away from the brewery pub in which I have been drinking some fine IPA, whilst chatting to some wind blushed German back packers, here for the hiking, and I retire to my suite overlooking the lake and set my alarm for Arelauquen the next day. Fantastico.

JCB LAY Instagram: the_barefoot_golfer