Meadowbrook Country Club in Northville was established in 1916, when 125 acres of the old Cochran farm were purchased and Willie Park Junior was then brought in to lay out a 6-hole course. This rather elemental track was quickly expanded to a 9-hole layout before it was eventually doubled in size to the eighteen holes currently in play.
The club hosted the USPGA Championship in 1955 and four editions of the Motor City Open (a PGA Tour event held at various Detroit clubs between the late 1940s and early 1960s) were also held at the club, with the longest (11-hole) sudden-death playoff in Tour history taking place at the conclusion of the tied 1949 tournament.
The course closed for an 18-month renovation by Arizona-based Andy Staples at the start of 2016 and this reputed five million dollar upgrade involved the rebuilding of tees, bunkers and greens, the re-turfing of fairways and the installation of new drainage. An important part of the improvement programme was the preservation of the original Willie Park Jnr holes at the 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 10th, 11th, and 18th.
Highlight holes on the refurbished layout include the left doglegged par five 4th (rated stroke index 1, with water to the left of a fairway that plays to a domed green), the wonderful short par fours at holes 9, 10 and 14, and the par five 17th which features a raised, square-shaped putting surface with a crowned centre to throw off imprecise approach shots.