Nairn (Championship) - North Scotland - Scotland

Nairn Golf Club,
Seabank Road,
Nairn,
IV12 4HB,

• 16 miles east of Inverness.

• Contact in advance – Not Sat/Sun am

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Nairn

Nairn Golf Club is located on an elevated, rumpled piece of linksland on the Moray Firth coastline, close to the historic fishing port. It’s one of Scotland’s lesser-known gems.

This is a course which has been touched by many great architects. The club was founded in 1887 to an original design by Archie Simpson. A few years later Old Tom Morris extended the layout and, prior to the Great War, James Braid made further alterations. Directly after the Great War, Ben Sayers added his mark to the course only to find James Braid itching to polish off the design. It is no wonder that Nairn is such a detailed masterpiece.

One of the most spectacular seaside courses in Scotland, Nairn boasts sea views from every hole. If you are a right-hander and you’ve got a slicing problem, you could find the beach from your very first tee shot. The sea is in play on six of the first seven holes; make sure you’ve got an adequate supply of balls.

When the sun is low in the sky and the shadows are long, you cannot fail to appreciate the undulating, bunker-pitted moonscape that is Nairn. It’s a delightful links with fast, firm but narrow fairways, a number of which are framed by gorse bushes and heather, heaping further pressure onto a nervous drive. The greens are sited in the trickiest places – some are raised and others are nestled in hollows. Most are well protected, either by bunkers or natural hazards, and all of the greens are fast and true, a Nairn trademark.

There is a plethora of good holes at Nairn and the 5th is one of the best. It’s a great 390-yard par four called “Nets” which requires a straight solid drive avoiding the beach on the right. This will leave a short approach shot to a small, elevated green that is well protected by bunkers and a sharp bank sloping off to the right.

The 9th, named “Icehouse”, is a lovely par four to close the outward nine. A tough long drive from the tee is required, avoiding the whin bushes on the left and the bunkers on the right. The green is located to the right of the white cottage which is, in fact, a Salmon Bothy Keep your eyes peeled for the Icehouse which is covered in thick grassy turf where salmon was kept on ice for up to two years.

Nairn is a very long way north. However, you may be surprised to hear that despite Nairn’s Highland latitude, it is located in one of the driest places in Britain. So, why not follow in the footsteps of Peter McEvoy? In 1999, here at Nairn, he lead the Great Britain and Ireland Walker Cup team to a resounding 15-9 victory over the USA.

Following a Course Audit presentation by Tom Mackenzie at a Special General Meeting, approval was given to start work on a course upgrade at the end of 2018. New forward tees were added and new greens constructed on the 1st, 7th and 14th holes, with further reshaping and bunker adjustments made to a further twelve holes.

Reviews for Nairn (Championship)

Description: The Championship links at Nairn Golf Club is one of the most spectacular seaside courses in Scotland, boasting sea views from every hole. Rating: 7.8 out of 10 Reviews: 49
Mark White

For many years, Nairn Championship was always in the conversation of what is the best course in northern Scotland behind Royal Dornoch Championship. The debate included Royal Aberdeen and Cruden Bay. Now that Castle Stuart and Trump International Aberdeen have been added, Nairn Championship often gets overlooked and bypassed by golfers.

But bypassing it would be a mistake. It is a very fine links course. I do note that I played this a year ago and did not notice the change to some of the bunkering as mentioned in the other post. If so, that would be a tremendous mistake as it changes what one would expect to see on a course of this caliber.

Yes, the first eight holes run along the sea but like the other post I did not find the sea to be in play on a relatively calm day with a light breeze.

I thought the conditions were excellent and the greens very good to putt on.

The holes I favored the most were 2, 3, 12, 14, 15 and 16. None of these holes are truly spectacular but they are very strong holes nonetheless. In fact, that is what I would say about Nairn Championship in summary, it does not have any exceptional holes, but it does not have any weak ones either. One might remember the inward holes a bit more due to the heavier presence of gorse and a feeling of slightly narrower fairways. The gorse seem to pinch the fairways in one's mind so much that when you get to the 18th tee, a nice par 5 that played downwind, you feel like you have stepped out of a shadow that has been around you for the past 40 minutes. And I did like the finishing hole. My partner easily put his second on the green with me pushing mine a bit left, he missed his eagle and I missed my birdie but we loved how it finished on a hole that had your attention due to the bunkering, but was very fair to play down the middle or left side.

The green complexes are not overly done in terms of being too penal. A green that had more tilt and slopes to it seem to have fewer bunkers whereas slightly flatter greens seem to have more bunkers. But that could be just a memory from where I hit my approach shot.

The par 3's were the strength of the course, despite the above average length of the par five's for a links course. I liked the sixth hole the best of the par three holes due to the combination of heather, gorse and bunkers.

In summary, any golfer going north should stop and play Nairn Championship. And for me, if I had to make a choice I would play Nairn Championship before Cruden Bay because Nairn is more consistent. It doesn't have the spectacular holes that Cruden Bay has nor does it have the same quirkiness, but it is a joy to walk and play.

One final note: similar to Pebble Beach and Royal Aberdeen I often wonder whether the architect got the routing correct. Seems to me it would have been more interesting to play the final 8 holes nearer to the water. At Pebble Beach I often wonder why the architect did head inland at the 3rd green with 2 being changed to a dogleg and do the course in reverse until you arrive at 17. Yes, you give up the downhill 7 but I think 8 requiring a drive over the chasm would have been interesting. The same applies here at Nairn. Perhaps it was the prevailing breeze that dictated the original routing of the first eight being seaside, but for me the course would have been better had it "built momentum" as you played the round and finished along the sea, even if you see the sea from every hole if you look for it.

September 29, 2019

Fergal O'Leary

The golf is strong at ‘The Nairn’, and has a long list of contributing architects – including most recently from Mackenzie & Ebert. An aerial view of the course will solidify that essentially every par 4 and 5 is a straight hole except for the 3rd hole which was arguably my favourite on the front side. The continuous stream of straight holes was a little one-dimensional for me.

The journey away from the sea to the holes perpendicular to the Firth was most enjoyable at the uphill 13th and beautiful downhill par 3 14th, but again they are pretty much dead straight holes with different visuals. The most upsetting, and dare I say “alarming” news at Nairn is what the current consultants are doing to progressively convert the original turf sodden bunkers with crisp edges into dreadful looking heathland shaggy bunkers with heather on top. There is widespread displeasure towards what’s going on, and I fear for the negative impact it’s destined to have. I don’t know who wanted this, I don’t know who supports this, and I don’t know why on earth this was ever suggested. The holes that have the original bunkers are lovely and authentic. However, the holes with the new converted bunkers are a visual disappointment at what is otherwise a very strong golf course with sublime playing conditions.

July 08, 2019

Kevin Henley

Loved it here. Fabulous set up with some great true links golf holes.

April 30, 2019

Alfredo Marinara

We played Nairn in late June of 2017. Conditioning was flawless. The course sits right by the Firth of Dornoch and the views are beautiful. It is a classic out and back links we a couple of holes on a hill inland (which the starter called the course's "signature" holes. The piece of land it sits on is quite narrow, which makes it a bit a precision test, it is easy to get off the fairway and the rough is not the most forgiving (I enjoyed Brora a lot more for instance). I would say it is by no means my favorite golf course in the Inverness area, but I can see why some people rate it quite highly. The vibe at the club is a little uptight but rather friendly and welcoming and the pro-shop is very well stocked. We stayed at the cottage on the property, which is awesome and can be booked through the reservations office (it's a good place to stay if you want to spend a few days in the Castle Stuart/Nairn area). They also offer discounted twilight green fees after 3pm, which makes it worthwhile. Overall I would say it's a 4.5 balls course but I would rank it behind Dornoch, Castle Stuart and Brora in the greater Inverness Area.

April 14, 2019

Colin Braithwaite

I am not sure why Nairn is ranked so high. Sure the Moray Firth is nice to look at but are there really any memorable holes? I think part of the challenge is the potpourri of designers, starting with Andrew Simpson, Old Tom, James Braid, Ben Sayers and CK Cotton. I am reminded of the horse that was designed by committee that resulted in a camel.

The first 7 holes are seaside, but you really have block or slice to bring it into play. The first is welcoming and the second is a short par five that is reachable but watch out for the ditch that is about 160 yards out from the green. The 8th is a short par 4 with a really tricky green as it slopes front to back. Almost impossible to hold your approach. The 9th is also a short par 4, aim at the icehouse as just about everything will waggle to the right. The 13th is a beast, 430 uphill with fairway bunkers as well as left and right greenside bunkers. Long is death. The 14th is an attractive long downhill par 3, we played it ugly. You can catch your breath on the short par 4 15th that is driveable. The finishing holes are forgettable.

If you were paying I might join you

October 19, 2018

I’ve followed The Nairns’s fortunes in the rankings very closely in recent years and was rather sad to see it drop out of the GB&I Top 50 last year, though it still retains its place within the Scottish Top 20. I called in last week to see Fraser Cromarty, the club’s CEO, before heading out onto the links as I’d heard there were plans in place for Tom Mackenzie to start renovating the course very soon.

Fraser showed me the proposals, featuring a couple of new greens and an alteration to the fairway bunker style, and I understand work starts very soon on an exciting 2-year project that should go a long way to restoring the course to its rightful place amongst the elite golfing venues in the British Isles. There’s no dire need for an upgrade, far from it, but such a move will rejuvenate the course for years to come.

A couple of things grabbed my attention at the club this time.

The first was the great wee halfway house that’s been established inside the old Bothy, next to the Icehouse, between the 9th green and 10th tee, and it’s a great addition to the club’s amenities. My only concern was the low level of light inside the old building but maybe they’re trying to generate some authentic 19th century atmosphere in there!

The second was the Archive Room in the clubhouse which Gordon, the starter, very kindly showed me round. It’s a room where you could easily spend an hour browsing the artefacts on display so my advice is to ask at the pro shop before playing to see if it might be possible to have a look around after your game’s finished because it’s well worth a visit.

August 21, 2018

Brendan Blair

I have just visited "The Nairn". This was about my fifth visit and whilst I respected the course I had never truly loved it. I've now changed my mind totally. the first 7 holes court the sea and as the course moves inland it becomes ever more engrossing and demanding. the back nine is very challenging and the long downhill 14th is one of the truly great par 3s in GB. the long uphill 13th is a terrific hole, and the finish, usually into the prevailing wind, presents a serious challenge. Nairn contains several fine holes, the setting and condition are superb, and the course is a joy to play. we are going back next year.

June 09, 2017

Ed Battye

Expectations were high as we arrived on the first tee at The Nairn Golf Club, a stalwart of golf in the Highlands and a darling of all the Top 100 Great Britain & Ireland course rankings.

The love for Nairn, a traditional championship links founded in 1887, quickly becomes apparent as the opening seven holes flow gracefully along the southern edge of the Moray Firth embracing the sea lapping gently on the beach a matter of feet away. Drinking in the smell, sound and sight of the firth as you walk down the first fairway, along with the backdrop of the Black Isle, really opens up your senses to appreciate the best of links golf.

There’s a real innocence to the opening stretch at Nairn which, after a gentle start, enjoys of a run of holes between the third and eighth of outstandingly high quality. Nothing feels forced or manipulated as the holes glide over the low-profile terrain effortlessly. Green complexes at three, four, five and six are breathtakingly good whilst the heroic drive towards the water on seven is heavenly. My personal pick of this excellent sequence is the short fourth, played semi-blind to a fascinating green angled between dunes and the sea.

The rhythm of these opening holes is quick but not rushed. Like at St. Andrews you leave a green and you are only ever a few paces away from the next teeing ground. The round moves effortlessly and before you know it you have all too soon left the water’s edge and turned to play the eighth, a fairly none-descript driving hole but with an approach and green to die for; the best on the course and cunningly difficult to play towards thanks to all the undulations short of the putting surface which itself falls from left-to-right and front-to-back.

Over these first eight holes the proximity to the sea, the natural movement in the land and sheer quality of green sites will have most golfers drooling. I certainly was.

From here on in Nairn is good and at times very good but there’s no denying that the magic dissipates. Although the aura of the sea is still in the subconscious the course naturally takes on a more inland feel with narrow fairways, gorse, heather and at times trees an ever increasing threat. The holes, particularly on and around the greens, still offer plenty of interest and intelligent play is required but you don’t have to use your imagination as much on the inward half and whilst the closing stretch demands good golf it doesn’t have the big finale that the very top courses nearly always conjure.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

June 09, 2017

I have been to the Highland area a couple of times now and always ignored Nairn. I played it a few day ago and I have to confess: I made a mistake a couple of times. What a great course this is. Perhaps it is easy to fall in love with a golf course on such a glorious sunny day. And yes, I was in a great mood anyway, since I had the opportunity to revisit the great links of Brora and Dornoch on the days before. But then again: When I strolled around the course of Nairn before my round I hadn’t had very high expectations. It seemed to be very crowded, the clubhouse was a tad too American-style, and obviously I was not willing to find a new favourite course. But when it was time to check-in for my tee time, everything started to cheer me up: The lady in the pro-shop was very kind, the practice facilities were nice, and my practice strokes were easy.

When I approached the first tee, the starter gave me a warm welcome and explained a lot of details regarding the routing and every single hole on the course. He then wished me luck and fun and he smiled and so did I.

The course was in perfect condition, the greens were true and extreme fast, much faster than on the links I played the days before. It took me some holes to adjust, but then it was pure pleasure to putt on these greens. The course is a little bit tighter than Brora and especially Dornoch so on a few occasions you have to wait with your tee shot before the group behind or in front of you clears your view. But that is not much of a disturbance. The course offers everything: Long Par 4s with hard to hit greens due to their twisted saucer design, short Par 4s, which even a shorter hitter can reach with a risky tee shot, reachable Par 5s, short Par 3s, a burn, which is running through the second and 17th fairway, and first and foremost: Just a lot of beautiful views over the Moray Firth and - especially from the green of the 13th and the tee of the 14th hole - over the course.

After Cruden Bay and Dornoch, Nairn is my third six baller here. I will most definitely come back, soon.

May 15, 2017

Richard

One word to sum up Nairn – classy. We played in June on a windy but sunny day where you had to make your score going out and hang on coming back. The greens were fast and true, the gorse looked beautiful and the course was in great condition overall. The closet comparison I can come up with in terms of superb course maintenance is Formby on Lancashire’s Golf Coast.

The sea hugs the 1st seven holes and one of our party took full advantage of playing from this lateral hazard by hitting the green in 2 on the par 4 5th via the beach!

The clubhouse was modern, well equipped and served good food. We were looked after very professionally with no complaints whatsoever, but here’s my one comment which stops the course getting the full 6 stars. It was almost too clean, too polished, too professional such that I felt that it was missing a bit of character. A course like this is no doubt steeped in history but this didn’t really come across. It seemed set up more for corporate golf. This is clearly a personal view and I’m sure others will disagree and, please don’t misunderstand me, this is a very good course; just not quite into my category of a great course. RdeD

December 23, 2016