Newark Golf Club was founded in 1901, with members having the use of a rather elementary 9-hole track. Tom Williamson, the long serving professional at Notts Golf Club, suggested a number of course improvements, including the construction of new greens and bunkers, which resulted in a substantial increase in the overall length of the layout.
More than thirty years later, Tom Williamson was consulted again when the club was considering a move to its present location in 1934. Tom – who was the Notts pro for fifty-four years, starting in 1896 – advised on the suitability of the new site and his fee for laying out the new course at Kelwich amounted to £45.00.
Unsurprisingly, much has changed over the years at Newark. Donald Steel altered six greens and seven tees during the 1970s. Another three putting surfaces were replaced in the 1980s, when the pond at the 4th was also dredged and enlarged. During the 1990s, scores of trees were transplanted around the layout to great effect.Today, the course measures 6,468 yards, playing to a par of 71. Holes to watch out for include the tough par four 4th, played over water from the tee, and back-to-back par fives at holes 6 and 7. On the back nine, there’s an interesting little loop at 12, 13 and 14, with the last of these holes doglegging sharply left to the green.