Norwood Park (Norwood) - Nottinghamshire - England

• + 44 (0) 1636 816626

• Paul Thornton

• Clyde Johnston

• Robert Macey

Situated on the fringes of the minister town of Southwell, within the parkland estate of Norwood Hall, the 27-hole facility at the Norwood Park Golf Centre was designed by American architect Clyde Johnson in the late 1990s.

Stretching to 6,805 yards from the back markers, the Norwood course is configured as two sets of returning nines, with several of the holes routed around legacy orchards that are famed for their annual production of Bramley Apples.

We were intrigued to find out how Clyde Johnson got the design contract here so he very kindly told us the following:

“The Starkey family was researching successful golf courses in the United States and somehow they met and befriended a client of mine from Myrtle Beach. My client made a trip to the Norwood Park site and upon his review, called me and we discussed the potential project.

I ended up trading emails with Sir John Starkey and a few months later, I went to the site, stayed a week and drew out the course routing while I was there. We built the facility in three phases: back nine, front nine and the par 3 nine.

That is the short and sweet of it. During the construction phases, I would make a couple of trips over at critical times to review the work.”

Reviews for Norwood Park (Norwood)

Description: The Norwood course at the 27-hole Norwood Park Golf Centre opened in 1999 and it’s complemented by the younger par three West Wood track. South Carolina’s Clyde Johnston designed both layouts. Rating: 5 out of 10 Reviews: 2
Zak Harrison

I have only ever played this in autumn and winter and its well drained and nice to play

October 01, 2020

Andy Cocker

Whilst not on the same level as its more salubrious near neighbours, Norwood Park’s 27 hole layout, set in the grounds of Norwood Hall, makes for an alternative pleasant and much cheaper round of golf. The complex offers a 9 hole par 3 course, plentiful practice area - driving range, putting and chipping greens.

The 18 hole parkland course is interesting enough, with the par 4 dog leg 11th and the views from the par 3 12th tee my favourites. Greens undulate and were in good condition when I played.

Overall there are better courses in this wonderful county for quality golf, and certainly courses like Oakmere Park and Rufford are better in my opinion, so its ranking is fair, but when you want variety then this course is a good option.

July 01, 2020