Nizels - Kent - England

• Nicky Linton-Briggs

• Lennan/Purnell

• Mark Janes

Reviews for Nizels

Description: Located between Tonbridge and Sevenoaks, the classic parkland course at Nizels Golf & Country Club is set within a 14th century estate that was developed for golf in the early 1990s. Rating: 4 out of 10 Reviews: 1
Phil Ree

I'm unsure how exactly to rate Nizels so hopefully rambling here will point me in the right direction. It's quite a short course, no par 4s are over 400 yards from the yellows and most of the par 5s are downhill. There are a few hills but nothing too substantial.

I just think it lacks character, you can tell it's a fairly new course and I'd split it as roughly one-third of the holes being fun, one-third are okay but nothing special, then one-third are rather boring. The obvious highlights are the holes around the ponds, these do make it stand out from your usual mediocre parkland layout but don't justify the green fee.

Otherwise not much was memorable, maybe more bunkers would help frame holes and so they'd appear more dramatic, or perhaps it's all the short two-shotters. A lot of par 4s were a simple mid iron then wedge. The greens are so-so, a couple of interesting ones but medium-fast pace and very, very soft for July. Many tees were shabby and on side-slopes, a pet peeve of mine.

I've talked myself down to 3 balls here. It's a fairly run of the mill parkland track with average maintenance plus a few cool water holes. If it was cheaper I would give 3.5, instead I'll say play it if you're local but go for the twilight rate.

July 15, 2019