Perranporth - Cornwall - England

Budnic Hill,
Perranporth,
Cornwall,
TR6 0AB,

Perranporth Golf Club is heading upwards in the Top 100 rankings. It's highly regarded by you and it's no surprise. Located in Poldark country, on North Cornwall's dramatic Atlantic coastline, this natural links course is sited on high ground, ensuring enchanting views across Perran Bay, where the sandy beach glistens and the aquamarine ocean sparkles.

In 1927, the great James Braid designed the Perranporth links and his layout has remained virtually unchanged ever since. J.Hamilton-Stutt (golf course consultant and architect) was impressed with Braid's Perranporth and he said that the course "is not only a rare and priceless heritage, but the inspiration on which all other golf courses ever built throughout the world are based".

If you don't like blind shots, steer clear of Perranporth. There are seven blind drives and numerous blind/semi-blind approach shots, causing a few challenges, especially when playing the links for the first time and when the ground is hard and fast. The Perranporth landscape is lunar, with a capital L. The holes wend their way relentlessly up and down the dunes. It's a tiring, fun and totally engaging experience.

The course measures a modest 6,252 yards from the back tees, with a par of 72. It is by no means long, but rest assured, Perranporth will challenge the very best golfers because every shot in the book will be required. If you suffer from a lack of balance, take your stabilisers; you will be presented with many varied sloping lies. A quick word about the greens – they are firm, undulating and invariably sited on raised plateaux, calling for skilful approach shots.

Perranporth is a natural and honest golf course that you need to get to know to love. Play it more than once. It is probably the most underrated links course in the South West of England and should be taken alongside St Enodoc, Trevose and West Cornwall. The stunning views are worthy of the excellent value green fee alone. The welcome is warm and friendly too. What more can any serious golfer wish for?

Reviews for Perranporth

Description: Perranporth Golf Club is probably the most underrated links course in the South West of England. The stunning views are worthy of the excellent value green fee alone. Rating: 7.9 out of 10 Reviews: 62
David Baxendale

I wanted to play here after hearing so many good reviews, but the course just did not do it for me. Sure the views of the sea are off the scale. Just jaw dropping on some holes, but sadly I did not get on with the course or enjoy my round.

Its very, very hilly, and hard to work out where you are playing. Getting a (£4) course guide is a must. The issue I have with the course is the amount of blind shots. Honestly it felt like every hole, tee shot or second shot was over a huge dune with a marker post. I cant hardly remember seeing a shot land all round. You just watch it vanish over a dune and then trundle off trying to find it from where you think it may have landed. To me that just sucked all the joy out of hitting a good shot from the round. It was like VAR in football stopping you celebrating a goal. You had to wait to find your ball before assessing if it was a decent shot, and that was a fun killer for me.

I also felt the fairways were very hard and frankly unfair. To me links golf should reward good shots but punish bad. That didnt happen here as the fairways are littered with huge dunes and massive hollows that just punish well hit, accurate tee shots hit blind. Time after time I thought I'd hit a good drive only to fine my ball half way up a big sloping dune in the middle of a fairway or in a huge hollow with no stance, on a blind, but well hit shot.

I also thought the 18th was poor. Green nowhere near the clubhouse, and has an actual road to a caravan site going right across the fairway right next to the hole splitting the green from the fairway. Not nice in my opinion.

I can see why people rave about the course for the spectacular views, but I did not enjoy the actual course, so would not come back.

March 11, 2022

Joseph Franklin

Played Perranporth last year (in some of the most extreme rain and wind I've ever had to endure) however that didn't limit my enjoyment in what now firmly sits as one of my favourite golfing experiences.

The layout of the course – with traditional links paired with plenty of elevation changes – is a great challenge, but one where your good shots feel that much better when executed.

In terms of highlight holes it is difficult to choose, especially as for some strange reason I'm a huge fan of blind tee shots. Some holes even had both a blind tee shot and a blind approach, and the course planner that the club pro advised us to pick up certainly came in handy. This is an excellent course for someone who likes to plot their way around, so naturally the par 5s ended as my favourites. But not so much the 11th... playing into wind, off pretty near the back tee I hit the best drive and 2 rescues possible, and still had a decent iron into the elevated green.

All in all a great course, with a pleasant clubhouse, and some of the best coastal views I've experienced on a golf course. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone that finds themselves in this part of the country.

March 03, 2022

Henry

Wild! This course is alive…it’s unapologetically silly in places but perhaps a throwback to what golf was like once upon a time. In some places Perranporth has land like no other course in the country, and if you approach it with fun in mind you’ll have a great day out. Astounding views and worthy of its position in the top 100.

October 17, 2021

Jason Shreeves

Amazing course with beautiful views over Perranporth a real challenge. The staff are brilliant and so welcoming . We played when they were working on the greens but this didn't spoil if and even got it for half price. We will be back

September 09, 2021

David Murphy

Despite being a fairly short course, this was a serious test of Golf!

I hit many tee shots over the posts only to struggle to find the ball. It seems to me that you would need to play it a few times before being able to plot your route around more successfully.

Unfortunately the pace of play was painfully slow when I played which spoiled the experience.

The views were spectacular and the welcome from the Pro Shop was as good as I’ve experienced.

September 08, 2021

Chris Wanless

“If you are a good golfer at Perranporth, you will be a great golfer anywhere else” remarked a member to us, prior to our round. It’s a sentence I hear a lot about certain courses, but at Perranporth, we were about to find out why…

I’d heard amazing things about the course both in design, vistas, and its rugged playing style, but had also been briefed about its blind tee shots, undulating fairways and most of all, (if you catch it on the wrong day), the weather can bring even the most accomplished links player to their knees.

We arrived to light rain, and a steady off shore breeze and were surprised to find the clubhouse closed (9.45am on a Sunday morning). We managed to barter our way into the bar area to seek refuge from the rain prior to our round, but no service was available which was unfortunate.

And so we assembled on the first tee in what was now a stronger wind (gusting 35 MPH) and heavy rain. The first tee doesn’t give you any clues as to what is to lie ahead as it’s a nice downhill opening hole and a good chance for a birdie to kickstart the round, but then the course bares it teeth from the 2nd hole which for me is one of the main signature holes of the course. 510 Yards uphill dogleg left Par 5 that plays every single one of its 510 yards, even when wind assisted. You tee off into a steep slope with a marker post taunting you, you then navigate through a spectacular undulating fairway to a beautifully framed green complex with the ocean looming behind like a blue sightscreen. Other notable holes are the Par 5 11th hole with an amazing benched green that requires you to adjust club selection to get it up on top and the two short Par 4s of 12 & 13 offer differing strategies of attack.

If you have scored well on the opening 15 holes, then be prepared for a tough 3 holes to close out your round, as the 209 yard Par 3, 392 Yard Par 4 and 289 Yard Par 4 18th all go in different directions, so the wind will play a huge factor on these closing holes. The 18th being a very quirky risk/reward par 4 which asks that one final question of what will have been a tough days golf!

The other noteable aspect of the course is the sheer number of blind shots you are asked to play. On some holes you are required to hit two blind shots before the green is visible and this will certainly grind some mid/higher handicappers down. It is a feature of this course and one that will divide opinion.

There is no doubt that Perranporth is very good and challenging course, in fact you would be hard pushed to find a more stern examination of your golf game on a blustery day on the coast, but it is a course that I would imagine you would enjoy a lot more the 2nd time around, as at least that way you’d have an idea what lies beyond those many MANY marker posts. Be prepared for a wild ride!

For all photos of reviews, please follow Chris’ Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/top.100.golf/

July 23, 2021

Greg Watson

Perranporth GC absolutely blown away by this place, outrageously good, views that must be the amongst the best in the world. True James Braid layout with so many blind tee shots and risk reward shots on offer, took so many pictures would have to post 3 or 4 times and still not be done, over shadowed by other courses in the area still yet to play but they will have to go some to beat this place.

June 18, 2021

Ian Cranidge

Perranporth is a unique, a real links course laid out on the side of a hill, not natural golfing terrain by any stretch of the imagination but it does work just about. I played at the end of April in cool, dry and relatively still conditions with the rough barely up, probably as easy conditions you’ll ever get there. The views are glorious and help you get through the unrelenting toughness of the front nine, crazy levels of undulation combined with blind shots and landing zones that launch the ball in all sort of unlikely places, I’ll put that down the dry and firm conditions, I don’t imagine it’s often like that given the amount of rain that normally falls in Cornwall. It all feels something of a grind, basically up and down several times, only the 7th hold stood out for me. Thankfully coming back the course is routed over much more sensible terrain with some rolling undulation as it carves it way through some large dunes, in fact from 11 onwards the course is great and makes you forget the misery of the front 9. Given it was early in the season the condition was a little scruffy and greens were slow but a blast of warm weather should fix that. I feel you need to play Perranporth for the experience at least once. While I can appreciate the architecture, quality of many holes I have no desire to play it again, the back 9 is class but isn’t enough to erase the memory of the front 9. I’m surprised its ranked ahead of Trevose which is a much more consistent course on every level and a greater number of quality holes overall.

May 05, 2021

Wayne Box

I have heard the 'marmite' analogy used on many golf courses, including Perranporth. Yet nowhere is it more apt than on Budnic Hill.

Sadly for me, there were too many blind tee shots, the elevation changes that some may enjoy and the slow pace of play all contributed to me being firmly in the 'thanks but no thanks' camp.

I tried very hard to like Perranporth, I played well yet still lost 5 balls due to the course planner being at best, a bit off the mark.

Some of the views are stunning and the course was in good condition but for me, it was a miss.

May 01, 2021

BB
May 01, 2021

Marketing tag-lines aside, I’ve always suspected those who don’t like Marmite were born without tastebuds

Matt Andrews

First things first... I love links golf, enjoy the challenge of blind shots (providing clear lines with marker posts are visible), James Braid courses (always a little quirky), and in response to an earlier review, I also like Marmite...

However I just could not love Perranporth due in part to the severe undulations on the front nine. After a forgiving opener down the hill, the 2nd rises some 90 odd foot for the first 300 yards, literally like driving into a wall whilst similar scale changes in elevation are present on the 3rd and 5th. Land with amazing views but perhaps not the best for golf. With the exception of 4 and 7, the rest of the holes on the front 9 are a bit similar in character to the first, straight and either up or down hill.

The 4th is an excellent semi blind par 3 into a bowl whilst the 7th requires a bold blind drive over dunes and then a slight uphill blind second over a marker post sitting on smaller dunes to a thin green with a swale sitting in front. On the front nine, these are for me, the only truly great and dare i say 'real' golf holes expected of a top100 course.

The back nine is so much better. Played on a flatter but still undulating stretch in, around and through some decent sized dunes. Indeed holes 11-17 are excellent with the 11th an exceptional par 5 where a large mound dictates where you place your 2nd shot (short and left or over the mound towards the raised green). The 12th an excellent short par 4, like many of the other holes on the back 9, requiring driving over or around large mounds which frame the holes perfectly. 18 is a bit of a weak finish, an ok hole in it's own right but would be better suited around the middle of the round.

Unfortunately my visit coincided with course care the preceding week. No mention of this on the website or at time of booking and to be honest, I wouldn't have bothered playing had I have known. Tining of greens (which i fully appreciate need to take place at this time of year) did not appear to have been top dressed in any way, leaving perforations over every green that caused the ball to bounce on any putt longer than 10ft. Shorter putts getting stuck in tramlines of tine holes. A real shame as it ruined the experience and they had an underlying pace that seemed reasonably good and certainly quicker than St Enedoc which I played earlier in the week.

After the front 9, I'd pretty much decided this was seaside pay and play holiday golf. Untidy and scruffy tees, built on land more suitable for walking than golf, and where a six ball sharing clubs were happily playing the 18th whilst i was waiting to play the short driveable downhill 8th. The back 9 saved it for me but only so far. There is only a handful of bunkers across the entire course despite there being many places where they could improve holes. Furthermore across the course conditioning was a little disappointing and combined with a very tired clubhouse makes me wonder whether the finances are all ok? If you want the views, you may be better off just walking it. If you play it, definitely worth getting a course planner as a lot of blind shots. So there you have it, it is possible to be largely ambivalent to Marmite...

September 18, 2020