Located outside the village of Ponteland, just a couple of miles from Newcastle airport, the golf course at Ponteland Golf Club was first set out in 1927 as a 9-hole layout. Four years later, when more land became available, Harry Fernie, the son of the 1883 Open champion Willie Fernie, was called in by the club to design an 18-hole course.
The fairways of this pleasant parkland track are economically routed around a compact site of around a hundred acres, with the 1st and 18th played in opposite directions parallel to one another, and these two holes connect the clubhouse to the main property where the remaining tree-lined holes are laid out across a gently undulating landscape.
Feature holes include the run of short par fours from the 3rd to the 5th, and the 460-metre 8th which is the longest hole on the front nine. On the inward half, the 131-metre 15th in the northeast corner is the only short hole in play after the turn and the 469-metre 18th rounds things off nicely with a right doglegging fairway leading to the home green.