Designed by Irish architect A. V. Macan and opened in 1958, the course at Richmond Country Club is a terrific tree-lined track which is characterised by its well-positioned bunkers and undulating, elevated putting surfaces.
Occupying a very compact 120-acre property, the tree-lined Richmond course measures just under 6,800 yards from the back tees, with holes arranged as two returning 9-hole loops, each of which play to a par of 36. Water first comes into play at the par three 12th, then again between the 14th and 15th fairways, where a long pond separates the two holes.
Holes of note include the 452-yard 3rd (the longest of the par fours) which runs along the southern perimeter of the property, together with the 161-yard 9th (the shortest of the par threes) where the heavily bunkered green sits to the side of the clubhouse. On the back nine, the opening par five 10th is regarded as the tightest, toughest test on that half.