Completely surrounded by suburbia, the course at San Diego Country Club lies around fifteen miles from the Mexican border crossing into Tijuana. Originally located closer to downtown San Diego when first formed in 1897, the club moved to Chula Vista in 1921, with Willie Watson (of Olympic Club, Interlachen and Minikhada fame) setting out the new course.
Constructed with horse drawn ploughs, back in the day before bulldozers were used, the rolling fairways exude a certain charm that’s hard to define. Billy Bell later remodelled the course by adding length and the layout was further upgraded in 1988 when greens were rebuilt to USGA specification.
San Diego was the venue for the US Women’s Open Championship in 1964, an event won by native San Diegan Mickey Wright, and the club has twice had the honour of hosting the US Women’s Amateur Championship, with Jill McGill winning in 1993 and Sophie Schubert lifting the trophy in 2017.