Seminole - Florida - USA

901 Seminole Blvd,
Juno Beach,
Florida (FL) 33408,

• 7 miles N of West Palm Beach

• Members and their guests only

• Timothy Neher

• Donald Ross, Dick Wilson

• Bob Ford

Donald Ross originally designed Seminole in the 1920s and it was the first outstanding course to be built in America’s deepest South. Situated on the Atlantic side of Florida’s coastline, Seminole Golf Club is considered by critics to be one of the finest examples of golf course routing. With small greens and serious trouble lurking beyond the flagstick, this is not a course to attack.

The site chosen for the course features a number of sand dune ridges that were carefully brought into play with some fairways directed towards elevated green sites while others drop down from sandy peaks to flatter terrain. Both nines set out from the clubhouse on level ground before veering into the 40-foot dune ridge that runs alongside the western edge of the property.

The greens at Seminole are the main line of defence for the course and many of them are cleverly angled, narrowing towards the back, which makes rear pin positions a very tough proposition. Fairway bunkers are generally shallow but flash-faced sand traps adjacent to putting surfaces are often deep and troublesome.

The par four 6th is a wonderful hole on the outward half, played to an offset putting surface that’s protected by bunkers on both sides of a long, narrow green. Holes 11 and 14 are memorable for the uphill approach shots to be played to the pin and the all-carry second shot to the par four 12th is another highlight on the inward half.

Following a period of relative neglect during and after World War II, Dick Wilson was commissioned to restore the course to its former Donald Ross glory in the 1960s and it has retained its enduring appeal ever since. However, the layout is in the process of being elevated to an entirely new level. In 2016, Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw were appointed to carry out a 3-year renovation of the course at Seminole, which largely focused on the rebuilding of around one hundred bunkers.

Reviews for Seminole

Description: Situated on the Atlantic side of Florida’s coastline, Seminole Golf Club is considered by critics to be one of the finest examples of golf course routing. Rating: 5.4 out of 6 Reviews: 11

Unless you know exactly where The Seminole Golf Club is you may pass it multiple times and not even be aware that it is there. It is tucked off Ocean Drive, Florida 1A and is protected by a dense tropical hedge. Originally a Donald Ross course it opened in 1929 and has several facelifts and perhaps even a tummy tuck from architects as notable as Brian Silva and most recently Coore&Crenshaw. It is extremely private and has chosen discreet anonymity. In a significant departure from it’s long standing position the club will be hosting The Walker Cup in 2021

If you get through the gate you round the bend and are greeted by a classic Spanish designed clubhouse. The locker room at Seminole is not to be missed, with plaques from bygone tournaments and events. The Head Golf Professional is Bob Ford. He is originally from the Philly area and describes himself as one of the luckiest guys in the world. Until recently, he was the head pro at BOTH Seminole and Oakmont!!

Prior to teeing off we were reminded of the strict adherence to a pace of play of 3 hours and 40 minutes. My standard rejoinder is that I will do my best not to hold anyone up. We nailed it as we were done in less than three hours.

By modern standards Seminole is not long and there are not a lot of options to add length, but it rewards well placed approach shots. We were warned about the speed of the greens. They were quick, but I would guess they were around a 12. The first hole of note is the par 4 uphill 2nd with a forced carryover water. The 4th hole is the number one handicap hole with a blind tee shot. I am not sure how it is rated harder than the 6th. The par 4 6th is purported to have been Ben Hogan’s favorite golf course in the world. Ben should know, he would come to Seminole to practice before playing in The Masters. There is OB right and the preferred ball flight is a draw off the tee and a fade into the green. Left is preferable, as there are trees right, but on the left you still must contend with bunkers and the waste area. The approach is very deceiving, it appears there is a consortium of bunkers protecting the green, but they are really staggered.

The par 4 10th is my favorite hole. A large water hazard is on the left with bailout right. I am transparent, I birdied it. The 11th is a par 4 that it is a little sneaky. Like the 2nd it has a long carry but there is a bunker in the middle of the fairway. Not visible from the tee is a water hazard on the right. The par 5 14th’s tee box abuts the Atlantic Ocean. Here is one of your major photo ops. Hopefully, you will be smiling when you finish the hole. The hole is relatively straightforward, but it has an elevated green with bunkers on all four sides. The bunkers in front and right are at least ten feet below the hole. The short par 3 17th is probably the signature hole. It runs parallel to the ocean. Another good photo op. My second favorite hole…you guessed it. I went into 18 needing a par to break 80. Hooked my approach into the bunker left, hit a good sand shot that would not stop and eventually trundled into the right bunker well below the hole. What might have been….

Seminole is relatively flat with the exception of the northwest corner. Donald Ross maximized the elevation changes that were possible back before tons of dirt were moved for effect. Being on the ocean the wind can be nefarious. One other side note, our caddy mentioned GVR several times. There are not too many golf acronyms that I am not familiar with, but I was stumped and finally asked him. Greens Visited in Regulation!

September 12, 2018

Rematch!! almost one year later to my first visit I had the chance to come back this April and played the course in "member" conditions: this is when all of them are here so perfect shape coast to cost, greens rolling perfect and very very fast and on a sunny windy day.

Even better is we played a fourball match together with legend Seminole Golf Course - Photo by reviewer Bob Ford against Dan Quinn (former European And PGA Tour caddie to Ernie and Joos Luiten) and teaching Pro Dieter .... from the very back tees!! Talk to me about golf challenge ...

It was amazing to see Bob's Course Management, how at every step he showed his experience and quality with some great touches around the green (including a hole out on 13th from the left bunker), Dan asking every hole gimmes from 4-5 feet (if you keep making me play this ones we won't be able to watch The Masters) and Dieter's great golf swing.

It was a tough match, I missjudged a 30foot putt on 18th from the beginning of the green and left me a crazy downhill 6 footer to win which I narrowly missed ... a tie was a perfect result.

Then lunch at that Club House which I could not experience the first time was maybe even better than golf, making it a true complete experience.

It was a crazy front 9 scoring 8 bogeys (4 3 putts) and 1 birdie with maybe the best shot on years on 3rd over the palms to leave me a 12 footer eagle putt which I just missed.

It was great to use my Arccos sensors there as Bob is an Ambassador and exchange opinions about the future of this devices. As pictures are not allowed, see my 3rd hole!

June 08, 2018

This is one of the debated rankings in golf. The membership are the most successful people in the world, titans of industry who enjoy the most revered locker room in the game and host the greatest professionals to ever play the Seminole Golf Course - Photo by reviewer sport.

Seminole is located in an area of Florida where dozens of professional golfers live year-round, and the seclusion of the club provides a golfing mecca.

There are a number of sand ridges running through the back end of the property which provides for the better holes on the course, which is otherwise flat. The Ross greens are mostly sloped back to front, and have subtle movement. The Coore/Crenshaw work to restore bunkers, adjust tee-boxes and discover lost pin positions is all welcomed – but is this course really worth all the hype?

There’s an argument that this course has about 9 world class holes and 9 holes that you’d find on any flat Florida course. Holes 2-6, 11-13, and 16-18 have the most character and offer much more memorability than the others not listed. It’s more of an achievement to say you’d visited the club, rather than experienced an architectural masterclass which is the stigma that this club has given its ranking, which one can argue is a result of its high profile membership, extreme privacy and history of big name pros.

May 29, 2018

Seminole is arguably the best work of Donald Ross, along with Pinehurst #2. It is one of the most disputed courses among rankers, but I can't see why some don't like it--the course has no weak holes. The course is fair off the tee, with some rewards by cutting a corner or just hitting it straight. It is a little less penal off the tee than most courses, with plenty of recovery opportunities. The defense on the course is around the greens. if you miss the greens in the wrong spot, up and down is unlikely. If you are above the hole and greens are rolling fast, putting off the green is a possibility.

I found the course very balanced. It was also one of the most open Florida courses I've seen. When you are on the 17th tee box, you can see the entire course. Seminole is often ranked Top 15 in the country and I think that it is justified.

April 17, 2018

Most golf enthusiasts dream of one day playing Seminole. I was no different and the thought of Coore & Crenshaw working with them to renovate the course made me all the more keen to have the experience. When I booked my trip to Florida from Amsterdam it was done with the hope that a visit to Seminole would materialize. In short I came just for the chance to play this gem. Most would think that too risky but I had a feeling it would work out and I decided to go all in. I was told I had to be there in the area and be flexible and ready to get there on short notice. Half way through the week I started to get worried then finally on Wednesday morning the positive news came in, be there at 1 pm and I would have my chance.

As fate would have it I would receive a call about an hour later from a friend of a friend who was a member informing me he had made us a time at 10:30. A wonderful opportunity, however, I had already invited another acquaintance to join me in the afternoon for our unaccompanied round and simply couldn’t back out on them.

Seminole is in one word “wonderful”. By far the best routed Donald Ross course I’ve ever played and given the site had relatively few significant features in my opinion, Ross did an amazing job of maximizing the usage of these features enough so to put together one of the best routed and most interesting courses in the world.

Every hole at Seminole is extremely strategic and the greens are designed to be approached from different directions depending on pin placement and wind direction. So much so that trying to approach from the wrong angle is almost comical at least at my ability (5 hcp).

My favorite holes were three of the par 3’s. The 5th which played downwind to a wide green that was very narrow to the line of play. Naturally demanding a very accurate shot. The par 3 13th hole played straight into the wind in the direction of the ocean. The raised green is very hard to judge the correct distance into the wind. The deep bunker fronting the green provide a menacing visual.

The last par 3, the 17th played in a severe left to right cross wind to a bit of a volcano green which falls off on all sides and has bunkers on the left and right sides.

Another great aspect of Seminole is that the club culture dictates quick play. We were a 2 ball and without rushing easily made our way around walking in 2 hours and 20 minutes. It really doesn’t get much better than that.

Seminole left me wanting to go right back out for another shot. I’m sure I’ll return. What an amazing experience!

May 30, 2017

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not

3 months ago I had the happy idea of contacting a friend to see if playing Seminole was possible. It seems I took the correct path because 2 months ago we got the confirmation of an unaccompanied foursome for May 7th which is "easier" is easy is a word we can use because it is almost the end of the season.

All these last two months it was just planning and viewing what this day could be. I was excited like a child with a new toy, it is not always you are allowed to the #1 Course in Florida. And the foursome was one of the big moments : Paco Aleman (ESPN Latinamerica Golf Broadcaster and former South American Champion), Andy Schonbaum (AAG President) and Roberto Benito (one of the best amateurs Argentina has produced), so sharing a round with these 3 makes it even better.

Seminole Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

I arrived the day before to Jupiter and played Johnatan´s Landing Fazio Course (a very nice test under some 30km/h winds) and that night we had dinner at The Woods (Tiger's Restaurant) where of course golf was the main topic!

We had a tee time at 11am and arrived to the Club 10:30am. The first moment is already shocking as everybody knows you are going, the bag drop and the set up of the golf game. Then you are led to the Locker Room ... WOW!! The boards and the winners, the trophies, the books, everything is more than you can expect. Change your shoes and be ready for the game.

A short visit to the proshop to view and see what to buy and then to the practice range. I had one of the best pre game sessions of my lije, but as in Pine Valley then the game did not appear until 13th, scoring -1 in the last 5 holes. Some putting green and to the course.

It would be not fun to detail every shot I made, but I will try to describe the best shots of the course.

Uphill approach to #2 is really tough, pin was long and green is huge. Everything that goes past the hole will be terrifying fast.

Tee shot at #3 downhill and with the chance to cut line is where long hitters have a small advantage.

Par 3 #5 is one of the closest holes to Pinehurst #2, a 170yds shot where holding the ball on the green is extremely tough.

Second shot at #6 can be really short and at the same way tough, green looks level but if missing on the wrong side, God help you.

Seminole Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Hole #11 plays similar to #2, with a nice carry over the water with the driver. Then from tee #12 you have a nice view of the Ocean.

Par 5 #14 is a great risk/reward hole, you have to get by plane, the car will stop always on the bunkers.

Par 5 #15 is one of the 2 best holes on the course (My only birdie!), where 3 bunkers split the fairway in 2 and if you go over the water on the right side you may get home in 2 (I did not!). And then #16 is another risk/reward tee shot. Par 3 #17 was downwind and holding the ball was almost impossible, I hit a nice flop short from the green and made a nice par.

PAr 4 #18 is nothing too special, but a brave driver over the sand will lead you to a much easier and shorter shot.

We won the match 4/3 where Mr Benito played a solid round to his current 10 handicap and after shaking hands we all smiled having experienced a real special golf day.

Unfortunately pics are not allowed, so I won't be able to share some with the readers. All I have to say is Seminole was really worth it.

Then we spent some time at the proshop and a relaxing shower at the Locker Room, the shower is stronger than the heaviest rain you have been exposed to.

It is special. It is charming. Coore/Crenshaw have taken it back to original Ross design. Club House is all you have heard of and more. We saw the results of the Coleman Cup where Steve HAgestad (Low Amateur at The Masters scored 71-69-78 to finish 4th place). It would be nice to be admitted once to play this Tournament!!!

May 10, 2017

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not

Similar to the Old Course at St. Andrews, when you arrive and look out over Seminole you think there’s not much going on there, but you would be wrong. Rees Jones, who is a member, says in the club history, “Seminole is probably the best bunkered course in America. A shot that hasn’t hit the proper portion of the green is likely to wind up in one of the greenside bunkers.” The crowned greens that are Ross’s signature at Pinehurst are also present here, but not as pronounced, which in some ways make them more difficult. It is a very subtle design that fools the golfer into thinking they can attack pins. The twelfth was my favorite hole. A 367-yard par four that plays from an elevated tee box into a prevailing wind with a hedgerow down the entire left side. The green is the best bunkered on the course and is tilted sideways and oblong, making for a very narrow landing area. Even though you are hitting a short iron, the green looks so small and un-receptive that it is very hard to hit. Oh yea, their locker room isn’t bad, either.

John Sabino is the author of How to Play the World’s Most Exclusive Golf Clubs

November 15, 2016

James
November 21, 2016

If you like Coore and Crenshaw Watch this.... Fascinating how they have gone about renovating the Donald Ross Course at Seminole in 2016.

The fundamental question at Seminole is the degree to which difficulty makes for a great golf course. If one equates resistance to scoring with greatness (a la Golf Digest and—probably—Ben Hogan), then Seminole is surely a great one. If, however, your abilities are closer to mediocre (i.e. a double digit handicap), you may not put Seminole in your golf course pantheon. A perfectly struck approach shot will often yield a good birdie opportunity, but anything less will leave a long putt or worse………..often way worse.

One of the property’s finest features is the high ridge that runs along the western edge of the course. A smaller one runs along the beach on the eastern edge. Donald Ross used both ridges expertly in his routing. Only 4 holes don’t touch the ridges (1 and 8-10). The ones on the ridges (3-6 and 17-18) run north south, while four at the other two ends of the property run east-west. The rest run in a crazy quilt of directions. The line of charm is evident from the get-go (a sizeable bunker complex confronts the tee shot on the dogleg right 1st) and continues to challenge the drive from there on, reaching a crescendo at 15 and 16. Ross’s heavily contoured greens add to the challenge.

There is some debate as to how much Dick Wilson’s revisions affected the Ross greens. While the contours certainly looked authentic to me, the lack of ability to run the ball onto the green made me think Wilson made significant alterations to the green complexes. Like a number of great courses, Seminole might be a bit much for anyone but expert golfers to play regularly. But the opportunity to play here should not be missed.

March 31, 2016

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Seminole was designed in 1929 by Donald Ross and sits right on the ocean in North Palm Beach, Florida… I’ve played many Donald Ross courses now, and some are outstanding (Seminole, Oakland Hills, Salem Country Club, for example) and others are just so-so. Ross was a very prolific designer with 413 golf courses to his credit. So many, in fact, that it is doubtful that he actually had time to visit and design all the courses he is credited with in his lifetime. Ross, who died in 1948, probably designed one-third of his courses from photos or topographical maps and never actually saw the land or visited the sites. Another one-third he visited only once or twice. Therefore, there is great variation in the quality of Donald Ross courses across the United States. I am sure Seminole is one where he spent some time…

The locker room may be the best I have seen so far. Tradition just screams out at you when you walk in. Its walls are lined with dark, old wooden lockers and pictures and placards that depict the history of the game in America. The names that surround you are Bobby Jones, Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, and Ben Hogan. In fact, Seminole became Hogan’s winter digs…

Scott told us an amazing story as we stood on the 4th tee, a par 3 of 161 yards. His wife had been a five-time Tennessee amateur champion and had played in the Curtis Cup. One day, years earlier, he and his three buddies were playing at Seminole, while his wife and her three friends played in the foursome in front of him. Number 4 is 141 yards for women, and the four women had a combined score of six. Think about it; two birdies and two holes-in-one. Scott saw the entire thing and says he heard one of the women who had scored birdie walking away from the green mumbling, “What do you have to do to win a hole around here?” The odds against such a feat are astronomical. Larry Berle.
November 02, 2014

Keith Baxter
November 02, 2014
The above review is an edited extract from A Golfer’s Dream, which has been reproduced with the author’s kind permission. A Golfer’s Dream, by Larry Berle, tells the story of how a regular guy conquered America’s Top 100 Golf Courses (following Golf Digest’s 2001/2002 list). Larry has exclusively rated for us every course in the hundred, using our golf ball rating system. However, Larry did not rate the 100 courses against every golf course he has played, but instead he rated them in relation to each other within the hundred. Consequently, in some cases, his rating may seem rather low. A Golfer’s Dream is available in Kindle format and also on Kindle Unlimited via Amazon... click the link for more.
Alex presley
October 15, 2015
Sorry to nitpick but the 4th hole is the par 4 no1 hcp. 5 is the par 3
Without question the most difficult course I have ever played. According to the grounds crew, the greens were running at a 13 on the stimp meter the day I played it. Seminole - Photo by MacNow that is okay, but these are Donald Ross greens (think Pinehurst #2). Throw in a 20 to 30 mph wind off the beach and a vast amount of bunkers, and you've got one tough test of golf. Along those lines, I see Seminole as a great test of golf for the championship caliber golfer. But wasn't it a common saying among the great golden age golf course architects, that a GREAT course is a challenge for the championship gofler, but fun to play for the high handicapper? I think so. I am an 11, and Seminole was all I could handle and then some. Throw an 18 or more out there and there is no way they will enjoy it. So, is Seminole great? Not according to the Golden Age gurus. However, it is a very, very stern test of golf.
May 12, 2010