Sherwood Forest - Nottinghamshire - England

Notts,
NG18 3EW,

• Leave M1 at Exit 27 take signs for Mansfield

• Welcome Monday to Friday

The royal hunting Forest of Sherwood in middle England is world famous as the legendary home of Robin Hood and his Merry Men. Sherwood Forest is also an important home to some of Europe’s finest trees and heathland. The Sherwood Forest Golf Club is now designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest because it contains the largest area of low-lying heathland in the Midlands.

But it wasn’t always this way. Life began in 1895 as the Mansfield Golf Club on the fields of Ravensdale – the area is now a housing estate. In 1911, the club became the Sherwood Forest Golf Club in readiness for a move to new heathland ground at Eakring Road. Harry Colt designed the new course and James Braid revised the layout in the mid 1920s – today’s layout bears his hallmark. Further minor changes – larger greens and new tees – were implemented in the early 1980s after recommendations made by Cotton, Pennink, Steel and Hawtree.

Today’s course looks very different to the original layout, but only because the trees have grown up over the years, creating an enclosed feeling. The back nine wends its way, each hole in isolation, through the trees. The first few holes possess a more open, heathland feel. But there’s no doubt that Sherwood Forest is set on superb golfing terrain and it’s also a supreme test of golf. The club has played host to Open Championship Regional Qualifying and even Gary Nicklaus, son of the great Jack, failed to qualify here, not only once, but twice.

Renowned for its fantastic greens and friendly welcome, Sherwood Forest is certainly a course to put on your itinerary when visiting the Midlands. Include it alongside Notts and Lindrick and you will have played three of the best inland courses in the country.

Reviews for Sherwood Forest

Description: Sherwood Forest Golf Club is set on a Site of Special Scientific Interest because it contains the largest area of low-lying heathland in the Midlands. Rating: 8.2 out of 10 Reviews: 38
Craig Robinson

A good course which i am happy to have played but don't think i would be rushing back.

POSITIVES:

The greens were fantastic and putting on them was a real treat.

The course was interesting, you had to be straight as if not heather awaits. Although its not a long course you have to hit at least 150 yards straight every hole, which will test higher handicappers, hence many didn't play so the course flowed very well.

They had excellent driving range and warm up facilities.

NEGATIVES:

However i found the course quite boring, no incredible holes, and each hole kind of felt the same. Enjoyed 17 and 18 the most, but on the whole this course didn't not meet my expectations or the ranking that it fills on the TOP100 list.

May 24, 2022

Dan Hare

An outstanding, accessible heathland course.

Great mix of holes, sense of space, some wind through the course, and when we played very firm running golf conditions, and super friendly club.

Highly recommended - we played Hollinwell 2 days later and SF didn't suffer in the comparison.

March 18, 2022

mark suckling

Great to revisit Sherwood Forest yesterday. Course presented in excellent condition for this time of year and the greens were true. The Par 3’s are all great, with my favourite being No 4 back towards the clubhouse, downhill into a stiff wind & yesterday was about 165 yards with a bunker front of the green which I found myself in. A great run of string par 4’s on the back 9 again into the wind really test your game. Clubhouse has panoramic views of the course and your tee shot on the 5th, with all the members watching keeps you on your toes! This is a great golf course & I would say a must play if you are in the area. Looking forward already to my next visit.

March 15, 2022

James Stephens

Great Heathland course. Tough but fair test. Thick heather awaits the wayward golfer. Fast greens and good fairways. Fine sand in the bunkers makes bunker play an art.

The back nine has a run of 4 long par 4s - so make the scores before and after and look to play steady over the 10th - 13th. Go play it as soon as you get the chance.

September 05, 2021

andrew dinsdale

I played in the Sherwood Forest Open for the first time recently and had a blast. I loved the walk to the first tee and the panoramic view of the course. I thought that everything about the place oozed class. The member announcing us on the first tee was a lovely touch and the practice facilities were some of the best i've experienced.

The course was fantastic. A very pretty setting for golf with fairways flanked by whispy straw creating an orangey hew across the course. My favourites were the par 3 4th; firing downhill towards the clubhouse requiring pin point accuracy and the par 4 18th; a strong finishing hole with a spectacular vista from the tee.

Our group noted how consistent the course was with no real poor holes with the architecture using the lay of the land to perfection with many a fairway shot having to clear deep drops before the green. There are also some lovely downhill drives creating different options from the tee and barely a blind shot considering the vastly rolling landscape.

The course condition was fantastic and more than a match for the top Uk and Ireland courses. Rough, tees and fairways were top grade and the beautiful fringed bunkers were also as you'd expect from a course of this calibre. On to the greens… they were the fastest i've ever experienced with rumours circling the course of 13.2 on the stimp meter I can honestly say i've never putted on anything thats come close to the speed of Sherwood Forest and I was recently at St Andrews. Leaving myself 3/4 minutes on the practice putting green my first 10 foot effort went 25 feet past the hole and after a bit of head scratching and a little more practice I managed to get to grips before heading out.

My one and only critique about the course is that its too hard for the average golfer. Granted I played from the white tees but the yellow tees still had 5 400 yard+ par 4s. Basically its an absolute brute of a course. The fairways also were so tight that in places they were the width of a large green. This was reflected in a Nett 70 (one under) winning the day. Absolute madness!… especially as the weather couldn't have been better. I also played with a 1 handicapper who shot 17 over par. My point is that its probably a little on the wrong side of difficult and could do with easing a little in places to allow for more all round enjoyment.

However let that not detract from what I consider an astounding Heathland course in a quintessentially English setting. I haven't played that many top 100 Uk and Ireland courses but if Sherwood Forest doesn't quite make the list then I’ve got a hell of a lot to look forward to.

August 09, 2021

Michael Jones

Sherwood Forest is revered by many in the area and is certainly worth a visit. However our 4 ball were left with the impression that more attention to detail is required.

To explain, bunkers were poor and stones a plenty graced them, depth of sand was inconsistent. Further, without a course planner the course was particularly tough, as signage left a lot to be desired and driving areas (distance markers) were absent on a course where blind tee shots and the lie of the land were difficult to assess from the tee. There is no half-way house, water fountains or on course refreshments. I would expect all of the above to be available on a course of this standing.

Having said all of the above the course is beautiful and certainly worth a return visit. All I would ask is for the venue not to sit on its laurels and think about the whole visitor experience.

June 15, 2021

Neil White

Sunlight reflected from the purple haze of Sherwood Forest, the starter announced me on the tee and memories of my best ever nine holes, inspired a wallop down the middle of the first.

Alas, I must have been in ecstatic reverie when he told us that the red flags denoted the BACK of the green. Thus, my chip was 20 yards short and a one-point five was recorded.

Yep, here, unusually, blue flags are at the front of the green and red is at the back with yellow in the middle. Definitely worth remembering.

Fortunately, our opening lapse did not set the tone and we took advantage of benign conditions and prevailing wind to score well early on at the Sherwood Forest Mixed Open.

This was mainly because we adhered to the starter's tip of resisting big-hitting and concentrated on staying on the fairways.

However, we were caught out a couple of times on the downhill par threes with both the 4th and 7th proving much trickier than they looked due, in the first instance to a fiendish pin position just behind a bunker and in the second because of sand-trap protection nearly all around the green.

We found Sherwood Forest's greens easier to read than many of those at England's top 100 courses, offering few surprises. Consequently, the par-five fifth, which has a deep dip in the middle of the fairway and iridescent heather on both sides, yielded a birdie to my safety-first golf.

Heather is the trademark of the course and, although not as deep or dense as that in Surrey or even nearby Hollinwell. Consequently, balls were found and a pitching wedge (the club for all heather!) found safety.

Back on the course, the second nine is such a different proposition to the first that the last time I played it I scored 12 points against 24 in the opening half.

The difference wasn't as pronounced this time but points were much harder to find.

This is true of both pars 3s (the 10th and 15th) which I failed to reach with a driver because the breeze had by now strengthened considerably and was against us. We had brief respite on the long downhill 11th which has a tough blind tee shot.

Thereafter, every hole was into the teeth of the wind - among them the fiendish 12th and 14th - the respective third and first hardest holes.

If I were to have a criticism of Sherwood Forest it is that the stretch of 12 to 14 are a bit samey - precise and long drives needed over heather before another heave or even a heave and a wedge.

However, the final stretch is a more beguiling proposition, including a relatively short par five, a dogleg which rewards accuracy and a sweep towards the clubhouse which is deceptively long as it rises and dips and rises again.

It was a shame that those last few holes were played in driving rain but their beauty was still evident and they left a glowing memory.

Indeed, even as we trooped off sopping wet, we all agreed that Sherwood Forest would be well worth revisiting.

September 02, 2020

Josh P

Not far from Holinwell and in a beautiful part of the country, Sherwood Forest has all the ingredients to be a top golf course. There’s a lot of heather, and good use of interesting elevation, but it’s mainly playable.

The par 3s are what stuck out to me here, all interesting holes, and the 7th in particular. For me, due to its style of bunkering and also having two greens it’s reminiscent of golf in Japan, and in particular the 10th on the Fuji Course at Kawana. Another favourite hole was the long, tough par 4 17th.

I went into my round here with high expectations, due to its top 100 in England rating and being spoken about in the same breath as Holinwell. For me it didn’t reach these high hopes, but is nevertheless a nice place for a round.

May 14, 2020

Peter Handcock

Sherwood Forest mixes a great routing, interesting elevation, and a warm welcome from the membership perfectly. The clubhouse, staff and service are all fantastic, which is echoed on the golf course.

The heathland layout has teeth on the back nine, so you need to score well on the front. Holes 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 are standouts. 7 being extra quirky, a very short par 3 that is only a wedge, with 2 different greens to hit at, just like you're playing in Japan.

The back nine is longer and harder, and early on is a bit too claustrophobic for my liking.

Sherwood Forest makes for a perfect stop off if travelling between Woodhall Spa and Liverpool, and is also half of an excellent 36 hole day with Notts (Hollinwell), 15 minutes up the road.

May 03, 2020

Josh

Sherwood forest, accurately described as 'off the beaten track' is a superb heathland experience on a site of specific interest.

Although the weather wasn't with us, Covid 19 unfortunately was. And this meant the bins and ball washers were out of action, rakes taken away and being warned about touching flag sticks and shaking hands.

All the drama of the 'pandemic' aside, Sherwood Forest doesn't cause any more drama than it needs to. Well designed holes and great undulations combined with some tricky bunkers makes for a great test of golf. It's a very passive course, not many holes I would stand on the tee and 'wow' at but more of a combination of very solid holes which you can really appreciate.

A great view from the clubhouse over 2 tees and 2 greens to watch all the action at the 19th and a great reception. The assistant or shop worker was very friendly, two groups let me (a single player) through with no question and were also very friendly.

I quite like the closing stretch, the last two are scoreable if you can hold your nerve coming to it and the driving range looked to be taking shape nicely.

Overall it deserves to be firmly within the top 100. I'd love to come back and play on a nice summers day, but not before I've given Ganton and Notts a go!

March 19, 2020