Singapore Island Country Club originated in 1891 as The Golf Club and its first members played over a 9-hole course at the local horseracing track. The club moved to Bukit Timah in 1920 and a new 18-hole layout (today’s Bukit) was ready for play four years later. By 1938, the Sime course had been added and the club was renamed the Royal Singapore Golf Club.
Merging in 1963 with the Island Golf Club, the amalgamated “superclub” adopted its present name and within five years, they opened the New course at the Island site. Today, members are truly spoiled by having four 18-hole layouts on which to play – the Bukit, Sime, Island and New. Course architect Frank Pennink is credited with upgrading the Bukit course at the end of the 1960s.
A beautiful parkland course laid out beside the MacRitchie Reservoir, the Bukit course has held many Singapore Opens (starting in 1962) but perhaps its finest moment was when it hosted the World Cup back in 1969 – Orville Moody and Lee Trevino won the team event for USA, with six-time major winner “SuperMex” claiming the individual trophy.