Founded in 1913, Sunningdale Country Club was titled after its famous 1901 English namesake, Sunningdale Golf Club.
Seth Raynor originally laid out the Sunningdale Country Club course on the 150-acre Scarsdale property in 1916, but members soon tired of the many blind shots, so Walter Travis was called in to ring the changes in 1920.
As we all know, every country club has swimming pool aspirations, so in 1929 A.W. Tillinghast was commissioned to find room for one by merging the par three 17th and par five 18th holes, and then creating a new drop-shot, par three 12th.
In 2006, after almost eighty years of inactivity, Sunningdale enlisted Mike DeVries to create a renovation master plan which was finally completed decade later in autumn 2016.
In The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, Tom Doak commented as follows: “Of the lesser-known clubs in this golf-rich neighborhood, Sunningdale seems to have the most potential for major improvement, with its generous fairways and constantly moving terrain. They have recently found new direction under Mike DeVries, who has redesigned the mid-length 5th while recovering lost hole locations on other greens. The strong one-shotters on the front side and Raynor’s gently rising par five 7th to a Road Hole green are a solid base to work from.”