In 1911, the ninth Duke of Manchester enlisted the architectural services of Scottish professional John Stone from Sandy Lodge Golf Club in London to peg out a 9-hole course on his private estate in Tandragee.
A decade later, Tandragee Golf Club had been formed and was duly affiliated to the Golf Union of Ireland.
Seventy years after the original nine holes had been established, Fred W. Hawtree extended the course to a full 18-hole layout, with additional fairways set out next to the ancient Tandragee Castle, close to the fast flowing waters of River Cusher.
Holes to watch out for on the front nine include the 2nd, a right doglegged short par four that plays to a sloping green and the 456-metre 8th, where an old boundary wall remains in play along the length of the hole.On the inward half, the 305-metre 10th “Cassells Corner” is a terrific right doglegged par four with the green bounded on two sides by an old wall, whilst “Quarry,” the 157-metre 16th is probably the signature hole on the card, played from an elevated tee to a putting surface flanked by steeped slopes on three sides.
June 25, 2014