Trinity Forest - Texas - USA

Texas (TX) 75217,

• Not known

• Bill Coore & Ben Crenshaw

• Richie Hare

Trinity Forest may be the new kid on the block but it has an old soul. Coore and Crenshaw have taken the best of their design elements from courses like Sand Hills Golf Club and have mixed them with the aesthetics of links golf resulting in a fun and challenging golf course that wouldn’t feel out of place in Scotland or Ireland.

Coore and Crenshaw’s signature flourishes are evident throughout with gaping, unruly bunkers and several forced carries. Yet the linkages to the origins of the game are clearly present with the course featuring blind shots, a Postage Stamp-style green and with the Texas wind blowing, a golfer’s ground game will be put to the test.

Some holes of note are the par five, 5th hole featuring an uphill, blind tee shot which sets up a blind downhill second or third shot. The 8th is a long par three that has a gargantuan ridge in the middle of the green. Finally, the par four 14th is drivable by almost any golfer but the risks are great due to the strategically placed bunkers and an elevated green.

The course’s undulations, blind shots and sandy features feel completely natural which makes Coore and Crenshaw’s efforts even more remarkable given that the course is located on a northern Texas landfill.

Trinity Forest Golf Club’s expressed intention is to bring major championship golf to the Dallas area and the layout is clearly designed with the pros in mind, maxing out at 7,450 yards and having enough space between holes to accommodate galleries. The course will play host to the PGA’s Byron Nelson tournament in 2018 and as it matures, will certainly give the USGA and the PGA championship committees something to think about.

Trinity Forest is a must-play for any fan of links golf or Coore and Crenshaw.

Article and pictures courtesy of Pete Flanigan

Reviews for Trinity Forest

Description: Trinity Forest Golf Club opened for play in October 2016 and it was designed in a links-like style by the hot architectural duo of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw. The club will host the AT&T Byron Nelson tournament in 2018. Rating: 4 out of 6 Reviews: 3

Highly disappointing considering Jonas Woods and Tom Dundon built this course up over the past few years to be something that did not live up to the hype. Unfortunately I found it to be a bit kitschy and felt as if the architects were trying too hard. I agree that C&C only had so much to work with but I definitely think it will take a lot for this course to be something great and special. Links golf is great if you are in Ireland but we are in Dallas so I felt like the course was a novelty like the Tribute in the Colony. I think in order for this course to stand the test of time it will have to have some serious money pumped into it and will probably take 10-20 years otherwise the course could turn into a Chambers Bay. Robert if you have played the top 10 courses you will know this is definitely not a top 10 course. There are better courses in the DFW area. Only time will tell with this course but I was not impressed.

My rating is 2-5 stars, average overall nothing spectacular.

May 22, 2017

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not

There was something hugely disappointing about this course. Coore/Crenshaw took the minimalist approach to this flat wasteland, but the result did not stimulate my golfing juices. I played the course with two other hugely experienced players, and we kept waiting for something to inspire us.

The far-end of the property offers some interesting shots due to the movement in the topography and how the course plays over a ravine. The green-sites certainly spark debate as a number of them are enormous with unbelievable undulations which border unplayable. What was Crenshaw thinking? I anticipate a number of them being softened as I can already hear the PGA Tour pro’s complaining ahead of next year’s tour stop.

The course still feels like a construction site in places, and there are many dull visuals in this wide open space. We’ll see how the course evolves, but it brings into question whether the architects just missed the boat on this one.

March 18, 2017

0 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
AngelDevil666
May 22, 2017

I could not agree more with you. Definitely think this course will not bring credibility to the Byron. Felt it was an uninspiring course that was slapped together like a bologna sandwich.Only time will tell but I was not impressed. Only time will tell but I feel like this will be a Chambers Bay course that will fade away.

I played with two pros and unfortunately there are too many logistical issues with the Byron being held here for the pros to want to play here. Where will they stay? The W and make the drive down every morning?

I can't help but think that Coore and Crenshaw took the best of their designs, mixed in elements of Doak's Ballyneal and then put it all in an Ireland/Scotland blender to come up with this course. The result is fun and challenging course but mostly fun.

You have to think your way around the course as the challenges are apparent (or hidden) from the tee box and second shots but the fairways are wide enough to accommodate mishits and the conditioning is impeccable shape with sparse rough allowing for recovery shots. The greens have outrageous undulations but that adds to the fun of picking a 7 iron, putter, heck even a 3 wood to get around them.

Plus the staff is very friendly and the practice facilities are the best I have seen anywhere.

Although I have not played Chambers Bay or Erin Hills, from all the pictures and footage I have seen, this course gives off a very similar vibe and challenge as those courses offer and I think this course will be in the upper reaches of the rankings, like those courses, very shortly.

If you are in the DFW area and get a chance to play this course, definitely do it! It is my favorite in the area and one of the best I have played so far.

January 05, 2017

Robert
January 22, 2017

This Course is fantastic the best in Texas. Expect as this course matures for it to be rated as one of the best in the world. I have been fortunate enough to play the top 10 courses in the world and most of the top 50. When i first saw Trinity as a Dallas local i immediately wanted to become a member. Coore and Crenshaw have built a very special course that sits right next to downtown Dallas.