Dallas Country Club was founded during 1896 by "several men golfing on a cow patch in Oak Lawn.” It took a while for the actual golf course to reach fruition, as Tom Bendelow was contracted and completed work during 1912, but it was instantly celebrated in the Dallas area.
The center of the course, aside its clubhouse overlooking Turtle Creek, is Turtle Creek itself, which provides a variety of shot types throughout the round. The body of water becomes a mid-fairway forced carry on four occasions, and it curls up to the closing hole, a 365-yard par four that beckons big drivers. The creek plays both roles for a pair of back-to-back par threes, Nos. 12 and 13, requiring a tee shot that’s both long enough and accurate. The latter of these short holes is an intimidating proposition, playing 190 yards diagonally across the creek to a green built up on the banks of the creek.
It took a while to get to the course built, and it was a while before Jay Morrish came through for a round of renovations, and John Fought and Tyler Rae partnered up for some work during 2010.