Walmer & Kingsdown - Kent - England

Kent,
CT14 8EP,

• + 44 (0) 1304 373256

Reviews for Walmer & Kingsdown

Description: James Braid laid out the course at Walmer & Kingsdown Golf Club atop the white cliffs between Deal and Dover. In 1964, Roger Game became the first golfer in Britain to ace two successive holes here at #7 and #8. The club celebrated its centenary in 2009. Rating: 6 out of 10 Reviews: 1
C. Davies

Walmer and Kingsdown Golf Club is unfortunate as it sits in the shadow of three of England's best links courses (which are ranked 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Kent - I'm sure you know what courses they are!). While the course here doesn't match the quality of the links courses this clifftop downland course is good and the springy turf is beautiful to play off. I'm sure this course is affected by the wind very often but we played on a hazy day. I shot a gross 103 (I am a junior who plays off 34!) but I found a lot to like here.

1 - a nondescript par four of 328/322/306 that plays uphill and is guarded by out of bounds on both sides. I did not like the hole as it felt a bit "squeezed in".

2 - a good par four of 414/401/406 that plays from an elevated tee with great views over the English Channel. Not too tricky, but a lovely hole.

3 - an uphill par four of 385/379/335 with a blind tee shot. Nothing too interesting here, but not a bad golf hole. The views from the green are superb.

4 - a short par three of 136/132/122 with a two-level green protected by bunkers. It didn't impress me that much. Everyone in the group struggled here.

5 - a good par four of 340/330/305 that has a slanted fairway and a sunken green. The views here were excellent. I liked the hole as it had a risk-reward feel.

6 - a par four of 288/285/257 that is steeply uphill. Nothing too impressive here. The fifth which is fifty yards longer is more drivable. I did not like the hole.

7 - a fantastic par four of 451/446/436 with a beautiful downhill drive towards the sea before curving right. One of my favourite holes to date.

I should also point out that on the 7th tee there is a sign pointing to some of the world's finest courses.

8 - an uphill par five of 497/491/402 yards that was similar to the sixth. There is a strange hump to the right of the green. My least favourite par five here.

9 - another par five of 487/480/463 yards that is about as flat as a pan. The views are great from this hole. An okay end to the front nine.

10 - a short par four of 341/337/321 that curves to the left. It is reachable in one for long hitters due to a downhill slope. I liked the hole.

11 - a good par three of 202/196/184 that plays over a slight dip before reaching the green. The only par 3 on the course that is not uphill. A lovely hole.

12 - a tough par five of 507/500/406 with a slanted fairway and three bunkers crossing it a short distance from the green. Nothing too special, but a good hole.

13 - a par four of 364/336/316 that plays on a ridiculous right to left slope. I didn't like 13 as no golf ball could ever hold the fairway.

14 - a semi-blind par three of 135/132/122 that plays over a massive clump of bushes. The hole was ok, but too similar in length and in structure to the fourth.

15 - a huge par four of 472/430/410 on a right to left slope. When I played the yellows were closer to 460 yards. Better than 13, but the slope is still extreme.

16 - a great par four of 458/450/423 from a massively elevated tee down to the fairway. A standout hole on the course and by far the best par four on the back 9.

17 - a fairly nondescript uphill par three of 167/160/144 that has not got many interesting features to speak of. My least favourite par three.

18 - a great par five to end on, 499/494/484 down a big hill to a green in front of the clubhouse. I love the hole as it is the perfect end to the course.

W&K is a good course. The fairways are firm and the front nine especially has some fantastic holes. The greens are a little on the slow side, but this course is worthy of a four ball rating.

June 12, 2020