Royal St George's - Kent - England

Sandwich,
Kent,
CT13 9PB,

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Royal St George's

Royal St George’s was the first English course to host the Open Championship and is the fourth most used Open venue (host to 14 Opens) after St Andrews, Prestwick and Muirfield.

Date Winner Country
1993 Greg Norman Australia
2003 Ben Curtis USA
2011 Darren Clarke N Ireland
2020 TBC TBC

In 1885, Dr William Laidlaw Purves of Royal Wimbledon Golf Club, spotted from the vantage point of St Clement’s church a spectacular piece of undulating land with expansive sand dunes. Being a Scot and a keen scratch golfer, he decided that there was only one thing to do with this links land; create a golf course. In 1887, the course opened for play and was named 'St George’s' after the English patron saint.

"For a course that is still comparatively young," wrote Bernard Darwin in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, "Sandwich has had more than its share of ups and downs. It was heralded with much blowing of trumpets and without undergoing any period of probation, burst full-fledged into fame."

After only seven years of play, in 1894, Sandwich hosted its first of fourteen Open Championships. This was the first Open to be played outside Scotland.

Royal patronage was granted in 1902 and the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) became club captain. Many celebrated people have been affiliated with the club; the great golf writer Bernard Darwin was president of Royal St George’s between 1952 and 1961.

The course is not a traditional out and back layout. In a similar style to Muirfield, each nine is broadly circular, a loose figure of eight. There is nothing artificial about Royal St George’s; there is a natural look and feel to the course that blends beautifully into the surroundings, with wild flowers, dune grasses and the sweet song of the lark. Commanding views over Pegwell Bay and the white cliffs of Dover ensure an engaging experience.

All the holes are very different and memorable, a true sign of a great golf course. Royal St George’s also has some unique features; thatched roof shelters, the red cross of St George on the flags, and that bunker on the 4th hole cut into a huge dune, the UK’s tallest and deepest bunker. If you can carry that famous bunker on this 470-yard par four, then you can enjoy the peace of the fairway beyond, called the 'Elysian Fields'.

The par three 6th is called the 'Maiden'. We’ll let Bernard Darwin explain why: “There stands the ‘Maiden’ steep, sandy and terrible, with her face scarred and seamed with black timbers, but alas! we no longer have to drive over her crown: we hardly do more than skirt the fringe of her garment.” 'Suez Canal' is the 14th, so called according to Darwin because; “many a second shot has found a watery grave”. The 15th is considered architecturally to be one of the most impressive in golf because the fairway bunkers are virtually symmetrical.

"After the strategic school of golf architecture started to dominate thinking in the early 20th century, it became fashionable to criticize Sandwich as a big hitter's paradise, with too many blind shots," wrote Tom Doak in The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses. "After the First World War, some of the most famous holes were changed – the Maiden hole was re-oriented so one did not have to play up and over the famous dune, and greens like the 9th and 17th were moved from blind hollows to their present locations on grand plateaus, perhaps by Dr. MacKenzie himself."

In the mid 1970s, Frank Pennink was brought in to eliminate further blindness. Three new holes were built and tee changes were made to two other holes. Many, except for devout traditionalists, believe that these changes further improved the layout.

"Whatever petty criticisms have been leveled over the lack of visibility on some holes, or the need for good fortune to master its difficulties, Sandwich has the four prerequisites of great architecture, and it has them in spades," continues Tom Doak. "Challenging golf holes, beautifully crafted greens and bunkers, a character of its own, and stunning scenery."

Royal St George’s certainly represents one of the most difficult tests of golf, requiring courage, confidence and solid ball striking. Severely undulating fairways make good scoring very tough indeed. Often the tee shot will come to rest on an upslope or a down slope, then one needs to hit a long iron or fairway wood into the green from an uneven lie.

Ian Fleming, the author of the James Bond books, was a member here at Royal St George’s. The golf scenes from the film Goldfinger were filmed at Stoke Park, but Fleming called the course “Royal St Marks” in the film, no doubt inspired by his home club.

Sandwich is a classic links course, summed up nicely by Bernard Darwin: “My idea of heaven as is to be attained on an earthly links”. Darwin went on to become president of the club between 1952 and 1961.

Reviews for Royal St George's

Description: There's nothing artificial about Royal St George’s Golf Club; there's a natural look and feel to the course that blends beautifully into its historical Sandwich surroundings. Rating: 8.9 out of 10 Reviews: 89
RM61

I have been fortunate to have played Royal St George’s on a number of occasions and every time I visit I have learnt a little more about how to play the course. For some reason it is not a favourite of the top professionals and has thrown up a couple of random Open Champions over the years but for me it’s a course that you need to play a number of times to appreciate how good it is.

The 1st hole is a straightway par 4 which aims the player down the right side of the fairway although I prefer to attack the green from left. This green runs away from the player and the temptation is to land the ball just over the bunker guarding the front portion but in reality this green is quite deep and there is plenty of room to hold the ball. The 2nd is a cracking short par 4 that doglegs severely from right to left. The big hitter maybe able to reach the green in Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer favourable conditions but the more sensible route is to aim just to the right of the fairway bunkers which leaves a short iron approach to the green set slightly above the player. Hole 3 is a long par three with a tier in the middle of the green. Club selection and accuracy are key here as getting up and down from short, left or right is very difficult. Hole 4 is one of the standout holes at RSG with its huge “Himalaya” bunker ready to snap up the weak tee shot and its unique green complex with huge run offs makes it a truly brilliant hole! The tee shot challenges the player to drive down the left skirting the bunker hidden from the tee. The further right the player goes the longer the second shot which adds to the difficulty as the player is approaching across the green rather than head on.

The 5th requires the player to pick a club that will land them onto the plateau set about 220 yards away from where you should be able to get a partial view of the green. This again is a great green with a ridge running from front to back guarding the left side and a number of little swales guarding the right side. The 6th known as ‘The Maiden’ is one of the best places to watch the action during The Open. This undulating green is surrounded by huge dunes and a series of pot bunkers that if found can cause trouble for even the best bunker players. Hole 7 has one of the best tee shots on the course with two bunkers on the horizon providing some semblance of which direction you need to hit the tee shot. I always try and skirt the left trap as you can get a good shoot off the downslope which leaves an iron to the green. The 8th is probably my favourite Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer hole with a drive which requires a slight fade to hold the fairway which is perched up onto another plateau that runs slightly from left to right. The approach shot to the green set below you has a ridge running through the middle with bunkers guarding both left and right. The green is relatively long and narrows from front to back so accuracy and club selection are key to finding the putting surface. Hole 9 is one of the shorter par 4 holes at RSG. The player tees off from a raised tee before approaching this excellent green with a short iron.

The 10th has a relatively straight forward tee shot to a fairway which rises slightly uphill to a green which is the most exposed on the course. The approach shot requires perfect club selection otherwise the ball will fall away in all directions…the bunkers are particularly perilous around this green. Hole 11 is probably my least favourite hole as I feel its a little too long but it again has a great green complex. The 12th is another stellar par 4 although its relatively short the fairway has a couple of spines that run down the middle which throw the ball off in all directions. To get anywhere near the hole you need to find this fairway as the green runs slightly from front to back and is struggle to hold when approaching from the rough. The tee shot on hole 13 is blind so I tend to aim at the middle of the Prince’s lodges in the distance. Once the fairway has been found the approach shot requires both accuracy and distance control to find the right spot on this green which has a long spine running from front to back. Hole 14 has cost a number of players The Open and is all about the tee shot. The aim point is the thatched hut in the distance which gives the player a little leeway if you push your shot. The second shot is pretty straight forward before you reach the green which has a number of ledges and low areas for pin positions.

The run home is one of the Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer toughest in golf starting with hole 15 a brute of a par 4 which normally plays into the wind. Finding the fairway is very important as the player will need to negotiate the string of bunkers set around 20 yards short of the green therefor hindering any chance of running shot up onto the green. The green again is brilliant with humps and bumps all over it and nice run off on the right. 16 which again plays back into the prevailing wind which quarters slightly from the left is protected at the front, left and right by cavernous pot bunkers…one of which cost Thomas Bjorn the 2003 Open. Hole 17 which alongside the 8th is a favourite of mine. The tee shot which again plays back into the prevailing wind pushes the player to the right when the shortest line is down the left. The fairway is bonkers with huge undulations running through it and these undulations have an impact on what ball flight you can choose for the approach. The green set upon a ridge has huge false front so tends to play one more club than the yardage. The 18th has a pretty straight forward tee shot with bunkers covering the left side of the fairway which is the best line into the green. The green itself is another belter and has been improved further by mowing out the front area short of the ridge which gives it some interesting pin positions. A deep pot bunker guards the right entrance and “ Duncans Hollow” named after George Duncan who failed to get up and down to win The Open in 1922 protecting the left portion of the green.

RSG has a number of positives but a couple of things stand out for me. Firstly you rarely play two holes in the same direction which challenges the players concentration and shot making as you are constantly playing into different wind directions. Secondly the mix of elevations with both tee shots and approach shots keeps the player thinking on every shot. I am sure RSG will provide a stern test in 2020 especially if we get a two club wind and I am looking forward to watching the pro’s negotiate this excellent links.

November 06, 2019

James Dilworth

So much fun! I played an a beautiful sunny day, but very very windy, for me that added to the experience. Holes 4,5,6,7 and 8 all brilliant. The back 9 didn't have any breathtaking holes, but all the way round I was tested and really loved it and would love to go again, this is a proper challenge and possibly the hardest course I have played, weather of course is a serious factor.

August 07, 2019

Phil Ree

I feel like St George’s deserves more love. Despite its rating on here it ranks lowly in lists of Open venues, it supposedly has too many unfair bounces and some say it’s only in the rota because of its location. Score-wise there are only a couple tougher.

It also has a reputation of being stuffy and unwelcoming. It had long been a dream of mine to play RSG and I was so nervous I barely slept the night before. Maybe they wouldn’t accept my handicap? Or I’d walk into the wrong area of the clubhouse? I’d start with something like 8-7-6 and they’d ask me to leave?

I was very wrong. Yes there is understandably the old fashioned inner sanctum but I was made to feel 100% welcome on the playing side. A caddie is recommended to ensure you enjoy your day, you score better and you get history lessons included. With little fuss I was out exploring the hallowed links.

So yes, the course. I don’t think I’ve played any better and I’ve certainly not played any harder tracks. It does not ease you in like many traditional layouts – 3 pot bunkers guard the 1st green and I was soon enduring my first impossible stance with my ball on an edge. That’s what we pay for though, right? If you play heathland you’ve got to stick a couple in the heather.

Having visited Deal the day before I’d thankfully learned that it didn’t matter how long the hole was, take an iron and find the fairway. You’re better off making the hole longer than losing a ball 8 yards off the fairway. The summer rough at St George’s is thick, tangled and pretty much a stroke penalty.

4, 5 and 6 are real highlights for me. The 4th is long, has the infamous bunker and perhaps the most crazy green on the course. It also helps I parred it, a bit of a brag but I’ll balance that by saying I lost balls both times I played the blind 5th, one of the most dramatic holes on the course. The par 3 6th is a short delight, framed by the same tall dunes that make the 5th blind. It’s natural and it’s awesome.

There’s no relenting and there are no rest holes. Wind or not you get beaten up. The greens are both subtle and severe, and without caddie knowledge short shorts you hit well will soon disappear 20 yards down a hill. Many greens appear large but only have small playable areas. Gene Sarazen apparently used to only practice on the 10th because if you could hit that hilltop green, you could hold any on the course. 17 stood out too – the right side of the green has a steep false front, the left has more of a run-up area but then you bring a bunker into play. Fly it over either slope and you’re through the back.

All scenery is bleak yet wonderful, lonely but exhilarating and being out there on my own for my second round was a real treat and privilege. With dusk falling it was pretty much just me and the dunes, grinding out double bogeys after my long irons deserted me. It is not a fun course per se – it lacks the quirk and funky greens of say Scottish links but it is meant to test and sometimes torture you. I thought it was all fair though, if you can control your ball then with some local knowledge you’ll score reasonably well. Nothing it asks is impossible to answer.

That does only apply to the accomplished golfer, however. 17 sent one last double bogey my way, then the 18th has sadly had its cross bunkers removed to encourage pros to hit drivers. That does make it easier for us mortals too. So easy in fact, I was able to get up and down for par and experience maybe my favourite moment ever playing golf. It’s pretty much the closest you or I can get to holing out for a major, okay it’s not St Andrew’s but I’d say it offers a more intimate and personal experience. I even forgot about the 4-footer I missed for par there earlier. Almost, anyway.

In conclusion, if you have any doubts about playing RSG, forget them. It’s not cheap but it’s no dearer than some other Open hosts and it’s far less expensive than many US courses. In 10 hours I went from feeling scared and sickly to walking away happy, fulfilled, proud, and wondering when I can next play there. I really can’t wait.

July 12, 2019

regripped
July 12, 2019

I absolutely adored this review. You put your finger on the joys and double bogeys golfers experience while playing the Top 100 in such an entertaining way. Makes me want to play the course even more now!

James

When we moved out of London, we nearly bought a house here. You get a lot of house for the money and when you are driving in from Dover over the white cliffs, you can even see the European Union on the horizon. On a clear day. As it is, we settled on the northern tip of Hampshire that just about clings on to the sand belt that runs down to us through surrey from Berkshire. For the schools, you understand…?

Every time I play here, I question why we didn’t buy in Kent. 3 Open Championship Links Courses of very different character tumble amongst the dunes and roll across the low links land. Access is varied. And most reviews here start with “I was lucky enough…” which usually means. “I paid a three figure sum and it was worth it.” Princes is reasonable and great value. RCP is a manageable treat and well worth it.

RSG is eye watering and has an opportunity cost for most but is well worth it. First timers should always play 36 and take a caddy for the morning round at the very least.

It’s a very tough golf course too. Not in just a subtle way either. Whilst it is holding a gun in your face and demanding your wallet, its also hacking your email, forging the invoices it has found there and resending them to you with new bank details. Before you know it you have no handicap left for the last few holes.

A few years ago, I decided to give up waiting for the invite and stumped up for the 36 hole day ticket. And now I return again. It was like glimpsing the beautiful woman I wanted to make my wife but I strolled on by with just a glimpse. I wanted to get her number. I wanted to take her on a date. Over the next few glorious months we would know each other intimately.

If ever a course was worthy of a month ticket then this is “the one” I would buy. I’d rent a house. I’d play every day. I’d hope the wind would change direction. I’d See the pins in different spots and get to know the members and hear their stories. I’d see the rough come and go.

One visit is a joy but there is so much to RSG to appreciate that you will never tire of it.

Sadly, I played so badly here it was academic. It was wasted on me. Lip wabblingly, achingly bad. The sort of Round that keeps eBays golf section in business. But the fine company of my recently retired Firefighter friends was a pleasure none the less and they too felt the journey from the midlands was well worth it.

As the sun set, we turned for home; into the breeze and the turning light. Casting shadows in whispering grasses and the bunkers yawning.

Atop the greens, buffeted golfers conspired on plumb bobbed lines and relished the rumpled climb.

I’ll be back again. One day.

JCB LAY

April 29, 2019

Freddie

I was lucky enough to play Royal St Georges Golf Club as a birthday present and it was the best present I could have asked for. The club is magnificent and full of history which made it even nicer to play the course knowing that all the top pros have played here in the most prestigious golf tournament in the world. The clubhouse is luxury and serves some delicious food and the practice facilities are fantastic. The course itself is in the best condition I have played for December time and the greens were super slick. Some personal favourite holes of mine would be the 4th hole as it contained the giant iconic bunker which I avoided (thankfully). In addition to the enormous bunker, the green was also very memorable as it was extremely undulated with there being a drop off at the front. The par 3 16th hole was also a great par 3 which requires a well placed iron shot onto the green as if you miss this green you will be punished. Having a caddy also made the experience more amazing than it already was, the caddy was fantastic and extremely knowledgeable and I recommend you get one if it is your first time playing the course. This is one of my favourite courses I've ever played and I would definitely come back to play it again if I was given another chance!

February 22, 2019

T P Dean

I first visited Royal St. George’s on a damp and dreary day on the Saturday of the 2011 Open Championship. I was soaked to the bone and must admit that as a spectator I didn’t think that Royal St. George’s was particularly remarkable. It goes to show the difference between viewing a course from outside the ropes and getting to play a course first hand. Having now taken my own clubs around Royal St. George’s earlier this year, I can say that I’m a genuine convert.

Host venue to the 2020 Open Championship and Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer the first course to host the Open outside of Scotland, this place has first class pedigree. There’s a real aura to Royal St. George’s and it’s an experience that is best enjoyed if you make a day of it. Play 36 holes if you can, but as a minimum take in the hearty members’ breakfast before your round and take your jacket and tie to enjoy the carvery post or between rounds and you’ll enjoy a much fuller experience.

It’s plain to see why this course is now a mainstay of the Open rota. The greens are crazy in parts and your short game will be need to be on song as it’s guaranteed to be relentlessly challenged. For what looks like a fairly flat piece of land on the opening tee, there are some surprisingly extreme contours. The moguls on some of the fairways means a flat lie is unlikely, the most evident being the 12th where a clean struck shot down the fairway will be jettisoned to a position completely different from where your ball landed, something the pros find unjust, but tour professionals rarely make the best judges of golf course architecture.

One of Royal St. George’s attributes is the sheer quality of the holes 1-18. There’s not a weak hole on the course but it’s the stretch from 4 to 8 which is the most eye-catching and one of my favourite hole sequences in all of golf. Whilst the 4th hole bunker has lost a little bit of its identity Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer now that they’ve removed the railway sleepers, the intimidation factor of knocking your drive over a chasm of a bunker to reach the fairway still remains. The 5th hole is maybe my favourite with the 2nd semi-blind approach shot played between two modest sized dunes. The amphitheatre 6th is always a highlight of Open week and surrounded by towering dunes means that it offers the highest vantage point across the course. The 7th forces you to play towards the sea and out of bounds to an angled fairway and this is where I found my first fairway bunker. Avoid the fairway bunkers at all costs as all you can do in many cases is get the ball back in play. Any sign of greed will likely end up with you being punished and having to attempt the shot again from the same spot. The 8th is a horribly demanding hole, I understand that this hole usually plays toughest during Open week and again plays into a dune framed undulating green but this time presents the challenge of carrying over 50-100 yards of scrubby rough to reach the putting surface. This stretch represents Championship links golf at its best and whilst I could go on to describe the rest of the holes with similar fondness, I hope I’ve provided a short narrative of the quality of golf on offer to paint enough of a picture without me needing to drone on.

As your round culminates on the 18th green, a piece of land that appears quite sparse without the surrounding grandstands, grab a shower and don your jacket to take in the members’ lounge where you’ll be met with a beautifully old school smoking room with fine wooden panelling and leather seating. And I mustn’t forget to mention the glass cabinet before you enter that’s like a condensed history lesson on golf equipment and includes, amongst others, an anti-shank niblick from 1892. It’s comforting to see that people have suffered from the dreaded shank affliction for well over a century!

Royal St. George’s, a club that delivers in spades on and off the course. A 6-ball no brainer.

November 01, 2017

Charles Miller
November 30, 2017

I am fortunate enough to be a member, and I thought this review was very fair. What even the top pros sometimes fail to get about courses like ours is that control of flight is so much more important than it is inland. The ability to shape shots allows one to use the slopes rather than be punished by them.

I would add that, with the exception of the Old Course, local knowledge is arguably more beneficial at St George's than on any of the other Open rota courses. There are fewer blind shots than most articles would have one believe - certainly fewer than at County Down, for example, and possibly St Andrew's - provided one drives on the right line. The review above mentions the 5th, where only a second played from the plateau known as Campbell's Table (named after Bill Campbell reached it into a Force 8 in the 1967 Walker Cup) gives one a clear view of the green. If one can manage it, take one of the excellent caddies who will show visitors all the right lines.

Michael Frankel

On our annual GBI trip in June, we returned to RSG after only 3 years. We were very impressed in 2014, but one of our 4some had hurt himself and didn’t get to play. The rest of us enjoyed our two days there so much, we played there 3 days this time. Having played more than 80 of your top 100, I’m more convinced than ever RSG is one of my very favorite venues. Like Muirfield, virtually every hole is distinct, and never are there 2 holes with the same wind direction. Last time, we stayed in the dormy, but this year, we stayed in Sandwich and enjoyed the town. While we were introduced by a member, the welcome was very warm indeed! If you’ve missed this course, plan a visit soon. It’s fabulous.

September 29, 2017

Javier Pintos

It was long awaited. The only Royal missing. And the chance of playing it with 3 Top 100 friends in a real golf match made it a perfect round of golf in maybe the best links golf course in England. Some say Birkdale, some would put Hoylake and other even Cinque Ports, but after some days of having played it y comparing to what I saw in the other I will say that RSG is correctly and fairly put in the first spot for England, it is a hell of a golf course and a great challenge.

Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

And it gives me a better tool of analysis having played it in a "serious" match game and having striked the ball as best as ever, making just one bad contact with 18th tee shot (and penalty was big!). In my home course hitting the ball like this I would have scored 6 shots better, but not knowing the course plus the toughness of the green complexes made me lose some shots I usually do not miss. And I believe this will also happen to every golfer playing RSG for the first time.

There are many feature that make it great and challenging, but the first one is a good amount of blind shots where you need to know where to go and of course where not to miss. For example on 5th hole I hit what I though was a perfect tee shot and found it in a cross bunker with only a lay up shot as my only choice. I was not punished, it is just not being familiar with it. and the second shot here is extremely tough with 2 big mounds showing the path for the correct shot. Before this 4th hole again demands a very good tee shot, just missed the fairway by 1 yard and both lie and stand were very uncomfortable. 7th is a clear example of when greediness will collect one or two shots from you: a good tee shot made it possible to reach green in two but the incorrect club and not knowing that crossbunker was in the way made a birdie into a silly bogey. The same happened in 8th after being on the right side of the fairway where the view of the green is not possible, I hit what I thought was a good shot and missed way right the green but it is fair to say wind was supposed to bring back the ball and it did not.

Royal Cinque Ports Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

The course was playing the opposite usual wind and on 10th I was close to driving the green, putting from 40yds short of the green which looked weird but gave me my birdie. With that wind and an uphill shot there was no way to hold the ball on the green.

11th played tough with cross wind and 210yds, again wind didn't behave as how it looked it was going to be. This is one of the things that once you get familiar with a course won't happen again to you.

I was really looking forward to "birdie the hole DJ doubled to lose The Open", but despite 2 good shots I bogeyd it! A thin and tight lie punished me for going too close of the green in 2, totally unnecessary as getting home was not possible.

On 15th again a great iron shot but just 1m off the correct line and missed the green just to the right, for the fifth time I was not able to two putt from 4 yds outside the green.

What I am trying to show with this? The demand of precision the course demands on every shot. That is the main and real challenge on Royal St George's.

Royal St George's Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

It is fair to say that with Andy we lost to Mark and Simon 2&1, the just played better and made less mistakes, but it was a great game of golf, one of those worth to be repeated in the future at this one or any other Major Venue.

A paragraph for the greens: again, faster than Scotland and very true, but not as fast as locals say they can be. And greens design is very creative, ondulated, sloped and where you will for sure have a couple of real long putts during your round.

Lunch at the Club completed our day before I headed to Cinque Ports and just a big thank you for being part of Top 100 which usually gets us to experiences like this.

Finally, is it the best? Maybe. Pros don't like the ondulated fairways, but it is the same for all golfers so go and play, it is a great golf course.

August 02, 2017

Ed Battye

In my mind Royal St. George’s at Sandwich is a championship links golf course with few, if any, superiors.

Back in 2014 a trip to compete (I use that term very loosely) in the South-East of England Links Championship presented an opportunity for me to complete the playing of every Open Championship course in England.

I’m very sorry Hoylake, Birkdale and Lytham, you have wonderful golf courses, but personally Royal St. George’s is more than a cut above.

I have found over the years that whenever you go into a course with extremely high expectations there is always a chance that you will be left slightly underwhelmed after playing it. Not because the course is poor but simply because you were expecting so much. For me one sign of a truly great course is when you go in with a high expectancy and the course over-delivers. Royal St. George’s did just that and it continues to grow on me with every subsequent play, the most recent in May 2017.

Three years ago my two rounds consisted of completely contrasting weather conditions. An evening practice round in benign, almost dreamy, conditions was utter bliss. The tournament round in a howling wind and a 45 minute period that was probably the most difficult conditions I’ve ever experienced on a golf course, hail stones et al, showed what a brute the course can be. Again bliss! My two rounds were certainly a case of beauty and the beast. And that is perhaps a good analogy for this fascinating course.

In 2017 the weather played ball for both rounds but with two contrasting wind directions and this showcased just how special, memorable and phenomenal England's number one links is. It really is King of Links.

The reason why I think I like Royal St. George’s so much is that it captures everything I love about links golf. Yes, it is a demanding course, especially from the Open tees at 7,200, which requires drives and approaches to be executed almost perfectly for just a glimpse of a birdie putt. However, whilst it certainly has that aura of ‘championship’ links golf there is more than a hint of eccentricity and quirkiness, which for me is the perfect combination.

Ed is the founder of Golf Empire – click the link to read his full review.

July 12, 2017

Claudio

Played Royal St George's for the second time on the 16th of June. Not impressed at all. In my opinion the less interesting course among the Open rota courses. Do not understand why is so high in the rankings as other links in England such as Birkdale, but also Royal Cinque Ports and Rye, are definitely more challenging and fun to play. Course was not in great conditions, even though starting from this week it will host the Amateur Championship. Probably for this reason pin position were absolute non sense (but green fee was still full...). Staff was absolutely unfriendly and seemed annoyed by the presence of visitor at the course. Will not go again.

June 20, 2017

Dan Hare
July 14, 2017

I respect your opinion and disappointment in setup, but cannot understand how Sandwich can be a 4 ball course.

A day of two ball, lunch then foursomes here would in my experience be hard to better.

George
September 13, 2017

I expect you had a poor round hence the criticism and the joke-like 4 ball rating. RSG reeks class from the moment one turns down the lane that leads to the clubhouse. The Snug bar was unstuffy and the pro-shop and caddymaster could not have been more welcoming and let's face it those guys must have to endure the full gamut of GCW's on a regular basis. The course is beyond compare: more interesting than Muirfield and St Andrew's Old Course yet more challenging than Lytham, Birkdale and Hoylake rolled in to one. As a test possibly only Royal Troon and a brutish Carnoustie in a three-club wind can come close. RSG gets a six ball rating every time.

Gustav
September 18, 2017

Leaving aside our different taste in links golf, I fully understand your frustration with the pin positions of the day and the lack of understanding from the club when you let them know you were not happy (I am only guessing here). I have played Sandwich close to 20 times over a period of over 15 years and only once had less than satisfactory conditions (slow greens full of sand gave me opportunity to score under 80 for the first time, so I chose not to complain). However, I do remember the "the course is full, you have to start from the 10th"-attitude when there were a couple of members on the first tee, but thought that was a thing of the past as they now welcome 4-balls some days and have made other similar concessions to modern times.

BB
November 03, 2017

Patronising review responses that begin "I expect you had a poor round hence the criticism" should be banned from this site. Golf is difficult enough without smug responses like this!

A reviewer who doesn't share your view of a beloved course is still very much entitled to their opinion - even if in this case a ball was likely knocked off their rating due to a bad experience.

And no course is beyond compare (so I expect you had a very good round hence the 6 ball rating).