If you assume that the purchase of land with a view to developing it for housing and golf is a relatively new phenomenon then think again. For instance, when Western Australian was established back in 1928 on the forested lower slopes of Mount Yokine, seventy-five of the one hundred and eighty acres of property were reserved for over two hundred houses that would face onto the new course.
Architect Eustace Cohen and surveyor Victor Steffanoni laid out 18 holes on rolling terrain and a year after the course opened for play, Alex Russell – who was in Perth to work on a new project at Lake Karrinyup – modified and added to the bunkers on the layout.
Unusually, the round at Western Australian Golf Club starts with an intimidating par three, one of five short holes on the card. With no fewer than twenty-three sand traps on this quintet, they’re a prime example of why Western Australian is renowned for its intensive bunkering. On the back nine, the commanding views from the par four 12th tee, with the city of Perth as a backdrop, are almost, on their own, worth the effort to play here as a visitor.
The club’s mock Tudor clubhouse has been renovated down the years, enabling it to retain its charm and character but more importantly, the course has also been gradually improved over time. One of the most important modifications at the club took place in 2000 when a new irrigation system was installed – incorporating a small lake between the first and ninth holes – and this resulted in the course hosting the Western Australian PGA Tournament in 2004. Since then, Graham Marsh has been involved in some remodeling work for the club.