English pro Len Biles laid out Wianno Club’s first nine holes in 1916 before Donald Ross added a second nine and remodeled the original course four years later when further land was acquired. Gil Hanse has been consulting at Wianno Club since 2012 and we’re sure he’d agree that Wianno’s short-legged, giraffe-shaped routing gives Cape Cod’s striking fishhook form a run for its money.
Wianno Club’s rather grand clubhouse was formerly Cotocheset House, built in 1882 on the site of an even grander hotel that burned down the previous year. Its interiors contain much original detail and the building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The car parking area next to the first tee on the golf course is actually 1.5 miles away from the clubhouse’s coastal position, located between Parker Pond and Neck Pond, so first time visitors should bear that in mind when travelling here.
Memorable holes on the front nine (measuring 2,871 yards from the back tees) include the 2nd and 8th, which are separated on the same fairway by four crescent-shaped bunkers; the left doglegged short par four 7th, featuring one of many square-shaped greens on the course; and the 134-yard 9th, where the tee shot must carry the northeast corner of Parker Pond.
On the slightly longer back nine (2,965 yards from the rear markers), there are centreline bunkers to avoid on both the 12th and 13th holes before the routing swings south to take the 15th green within 200 yards of the Wianno Beach coastline. The final three holes then head back inland to conclude the round with the longest par four on the scorecard at the 18th.