Scotsman Alec Ross won the inaugural Swiss Open in 1923 (the first of three titles that he would claim) at a time when there were only eleven golf courses in all the country. The event took place on a further eleven occasions, rotated around Engadine-Samedan, Lucerne, Lausanne and Zurich-Zumikon, before it permanently transferred to Crans-sur-Sierre in 1938.
One of the top private clubs in the country, Zumikon attracts discerning golfers in the Zurich area the same way as Geneva does in the west of Switzerland. Its front nine are reasonably flat but long whilst the back nine are routed over hillier terrain, ending with the 504-yard par five home hole. Most of the fairways are lined by mature trees, which, along with greens that are always well tended, offer golfers a superior game in a lush parkland setting.
Donald Harradine was called in by the Zurich-Zumikon club in the mid 1970s and his vast expertise in Swiss course design and restoration was put to good use as he upgraded a layout that today measures in at just over 7,000 yards from the back tees. German architect Thomas Himmel has been consulted in recent times about a redesign of the course and his master plan is currently being developed.
December 20, 2012