The town of Arklow – named after Arknell, a Viking leader – is located at the mouth of the River Avoca on the east coast of Ireland and was the site of one of the bloodiest battles of the 1798 rebellion. The town is divided by the river, which is crossed by the Nineteen Arches Bridge, a stone arch bridge linking the north part, Ferrybank with the south side, where the golf course is situated.
Arklow is an old-fashioned links course, constructed in 1927 by Fred Hawtree and John H Taylor. Many of the greens from the original layout are still in play but parts of the course have been lost over the years to the encroaching shoreline. Eddie Hackett was involved in restoring the 18-hole layout in the 1970s then Eddie Connaughton remodeled the course at the end of the 1990s.
Arklow’s 6,387 yards are laid out over classic links land with plenty of humps and hollows, sand hills, gorse, marram grass and bunkers to be negotiated throughout the eighteen holes. It is configured with five par threes, one par five at the 18th – called “The Sconce” – and twelve par fours, half of which are over 400 yards in length.
The fairway of the 429-yard par four 6th, called “Out of Sight”, crisscrosses the fairways of not one, but two other holes – the 5th (“Humps ‘n’ Hollows”) and the 2nd (“The Graveyard”). The old-fashioned routing continues with the fairways of “Chapel Hogan,” the 13th hole and “The Spinney,” the 14th hole, also crossing, adding further interest to the layout.