Carluke Golf Club was established in 1894, with the club’s first course situated in the Belstane/Whitehill area. Shortly after, the club moved to Langshaw, near Braidwood but that too became a short term lease when negotiations with the Coltness Iron Company resulted in a move to the present Hallcraig estate, where a 9-hole course was laid out and a clubhouse erected behind the current 12th green.
By 1920, the course had been extended to fifteen holes but before the end of the following decade, a full 18-hole layout had evolved. Everything stayed in place (on a course configured with seven par threes and one par five) until the mid-1960s, when the clubhouse was relocated and the sequence of holes was revised accordingly.
When the club’s centenary arrived in 1994, the old downhill par three 1st hole had been replaced by two par fours playing in opposite direction to each other in front of the clubhouse and the former short par three 14th was no longer in play. Essentially, the layout that is in use today was in full operation.With only two par fives and four par threes on the card, the par at Carluke is set at 70 on a course measuring a shade over 6,000 yards. On the front nine, the par four holes at 6 and 7 demand the sort of respect that their stoke index of 1 and 3 might suggest whilst on the inward half, the plunging downhill tee shot at “Glenburn,” the 127-yard par three 11th, is a real highlight of the round.