Castle Golf Club - Dublin - Ireland

• +353 14 904207

• John McCormack

• Harry Colt

• David Kinsella

The course at Castle Golf Club is located in what was the estate of Rathfarnham Castle. A building firm purchased the castle and associated land in 1912 with the intention of developing houses and a golf club. The castle was sold off the following year to the Jesuit Order – and subsequently declared a National Monument by the Irish government in 1987 – but the housing never materialised so the land was made available to the members in 1918.

The celebrated golf architect, Harry S. Colt, updated the design of the six-year old course once it was under the control of the membership and this remained largely unchanged for over 80 years until the Jeff Howes Golf Design team implemented a greens conversion programme, converting all 18 putting surfaces from clay to sand based USGA specification in 2001.

The 6,270-yard, par 70 parkland course is laid out in two loops of nine holes with a sting in the tail – two of the three par fives on the course are played back to back near the end of the round. The demanding finish starts with the 16th, a 529-yard par five continuing the three-shot theme with the 500-yard 17th before concluding with the closing hole, a 411-yard par four. Quite a testing way to end a round of golf.

Reviews for Castle Golf Club

Description: Castle Golf Club, a 6,270-yard, par 70 parkland course is laid out in two loops of nine holes with a sting in the tail... Rating: 5.5 out of 6 Reviews: 2

Played the Castle in May after reading about it on this website and also noting its rave reviews in the Pocket Guide. I was very impressed and it exceeded my expectations. I am not generally a lover of inland courses but this is one of the best, if not the best inland course I've played in Ireland. Thoroughly recommended.
Castle Golf Club
June 05, 2009

This is a bold statement but I think Castle is the best inland course in Ireland. For me it’s better than both courses at the K Club, Mount Juliet, Adare, Druids Glen (both) and both layouts at Killarney. I have no idea as to why this distinguished club is not more highly recognised. The hands of numerous genius designers have touched it but Harry Colt’s influence shines through and Jeff Howes did a sterling job on the greens too. I have played here twice now as I felt I needed to go back and try it again after being incredibly impressed the first time I played. Second time round it was even better. Don’t tell too many people but this should be one of Ireland’s Top 20 courses. It is crying out to be ranked but my suspicion is that nobody knows about it and maybe that’s the way it should be kept.
Castle Golf Club