Grange Golf Club was established in 1910 when a 9-hole course was laid out at Marley Grange. Only three holes – the 1st, 2nd and 18th – remain of the original layout. Further land became available between 1922 and 1925 which saw the course expand to a full 18 holes.
James Braid redesigned the course and it opened for play in 1929 after he had planted spinneys, changed the 6th hole to a 185-yard par three and reconstructed the putting surface on the 13th hole.
Within ten years of purchasing Grange from the landowner in 1967, the club were forced to buy some adjacent land to compensate for ground lost to the nearby M50 motorway. So the present course has gradually evolved down the years to the position it is now in as the club centenary approaches.
Grange is renowned as one of the best parkland courses in Dublin with its 400-yard par four 18th hole as good a closing hole as any in Ireland. The Grange Golf Club also has the reputation for welcoming visitors to play in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere; where they feel as though they are at home, enjoying the warmth and hospitality of members and staff alike.
The 18-hole championship course extends to 5,936 yards and there are ample practice facilities with six extra “outer” holes available to sharpen up your game away from the main fairways. Not many courses open with a par three – Royal Lytham is the only Open venue to do so – but Grange go one better as they have their first AND second holes as par threes.
April 25, 2010