Copt Heath - Warwickshire - England

• Tony Moon

• Harry Vardon and Harry Colt

• Brian Barton

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Copt Heath

In 1907, two of greatest names of the day, Vardon and Colt, got together to design the classic parkland layout that was to become known as Copt Heath Golf Club. The partnership of the two Harry’s was a great piece of work bringing immense pleasure to thousands of golfers. Colt’s main contribution was the superb bunkering – there are 101 in total – and they still cause concern to the golfer of today.

Although only a medium length course, Copt Heath is a serious test. So much so that course is regularly used for Open Championship Qualifying.

There is a big premium on accuracy with sand, water and trees all combining to provide a great collection of hazards. Probably the toughest hole on the course (and one of our favourites) is the 6th – an accurate drive through an avenue of trees is needed to a left to right sloping fairway, then on to the pot bunkered protected green. It’s a great hole. We also love the par three 13th with its green protected by sand and water.

Several acclaimed amateur events have been staged at Copt Heath. The English Seniors and the Champion Club Competition are two, but the event that gains annual national interest is the Peter McEvoy Trophy. This takes place over 72 holes and is open to the very best juniors. Previous winners include Brian Davis, Justin Rose and Lee Westwood.

Reviews for Copt Heath

Description: Founded in 1907, Copt Heath Golf Club is a mixture of park and heathland with holes lined by mature and grand trees waiting to catch the wayward drive. Rating: 4.4 out of 6 Reviews: 11

I cannot say enough good things about this course!I played with my brother who is a new member at Coptheath. The welcome that we received from the gentleman in the pro shop was very friendly. The winter fee for a members guest is only £15 which is unbelievable value.There was no one around, we had the whole course to ourselves which definitely added to the enjoyment. The course was very dry considering the amount of rain that had fallen the evening before.Is is a challenging test, the first 6 holes are especially testing. The surfaces were great for the time of year and I could tell how much work the greens staff were putting in over the off season to improve and renovate bunker complexes. I loved this course, there were no negative points that I can think of. An Extremely enjoyable round and I played as slow as I could just to soak it all in! I would recommend this course to anyone.
December 09, 2015

Fairly average. Pllayed in early October and the greens were quite slow. No real stand-out holes and fairly flat. Not bad but just not inspiring. Par 3 13th probably the best hole, but off the yellow tees was a short iron. Having played Blackwell the week before this was not as good and disappointing
October 16, 2015

I have to agree with several comments on here. How this course is in the top three for warwickshire I will never know. Its Clubhouse is fantastic but the course is a let down so flat and featureless and when I played the condition was far from great . I have to say the course that I have most enjoyed coming back to is Robin Hood Golf Club which has changed dramatically since my last visit. Copt heath is not even close im afraid.
February 09, 2012

thomas
December 12, 2012
Copt Heath seems to have attracted some varied comments on this site, which is interesting as all those golfers I know who've played it and with whom I've discussed it, all speak favourably of it. Indeed, I've played it a few times at different times of year and enjoyed it each time as it's always been in fine condition with frequently undulating smooth, fast greens. I'll admit that the two par-5's are not that challenging and that the 18th, a short par-4 is a weak hole, but there are still plenty of stronger holes with the par-4's at the 1st, 2nd, 6th, 11th and especially the 12th being noteworthy whilst the three par-3's at 3, 5 and 13, the 13th with it's downhill landing area, should not be taken for granted. By my rough count there are 70 or so courses within fairly easy reach of Birmingham and whilst CHGC may not be quite the test of golf that you'll find at, in no particular order, Beau Desert, Whittington Heath, Little Aston, Blackwell, Sandwell Park, Enville (the Highgate) it is better than the others whilst Olton, South Staffs and (the I reckon much underrated) Sutton Coldfield are probably at least its equals. My main criticism of CHGC would be that perhaps the rough and gorse has been cut back a bit to much over the years - less manicuring in the appropriate areas isn't necessarily a bad thing. Whilst my primary focus is always on the course, I must also say that inside the clubhouse is amazing, very opulent with splendid food and service.
This had been in my radar for some time and I'm extremely pleased I made the trip. The condition and lay-out of the course was outstanding throughout. It has hosted some big Midland Amatuer comps and I can definitely see why. It's tough and is always in great nick. I am yet to play Little Aston and Whittingham Heath but I'll be very surprised if Copt Heath can't hold it's own against these.
August 22, 2011

In the words of Tina Turner.........'Simply the Best'Copt Heath is a gem that is very rarely on the golfing map. I have played many courses round the world, but am yet to find anywhere in such immaculate condition as this.A great course, fantastic club and extremely fond memories.A must for all golfing enthusiasts.
September 16, 2009

P J McCool
May 20, 2010
I wonder if it's mainly members who comment on here? Had the pleasure of a society day round this track in November. If gongs were given out for clubhouses - Copt Heath is a gold, but I'm afraid for all its history and wealth and prominence the course itself is rather dull. It is a flat parkland track - and the sheer number of bunkers gives some indication of the monotony of the landscape. Very well kept - I am assured it blooms in spring and summer - lovely club indeed but how it gets into a top 100 I don't know. Placed alongside such gems as Beau Desert, Hollinwell, or indeed Whittington it feels out of place. If you're after a premium round in that area - the Arden at the Forest of Arden is far more on the money - rated at 112 for some reason beyond my ken. Not at all bad - just not stunning.
Nick L
May 21, 2010
Speaking as a member of Chart Hills (ranked 37) and Burnham and Berrow (34) and a native West Midlander who returns regularly, I have to agree with P J McCool. None of the golfing cognoscenti in the region would over-eulogise about Copt Heath's course (as opposed to the clubhouse), pleasant though it is. Within the immediate vicinity, the Harry Colt-designed Olton Golf Club is far more deserving of Top 100 status; a true overlooked gem.
An excellent course. A good test in all departments, especially bunkers and driving. In very good nick throughout, greens being very true and quick. Well worth a visit if your in the area.
May 29, 2009

I have been a junior member at the club since 2004 and am a keen golfer, playing the course countless times in a year. I feel the ranking the course has received is a fair reflection of the standard of the course. It is certainly in my opinion, one of the best in the area, and is a much nicer layout than some other local clubs. It is a course which rewards good driving and good course management. At 6520 yards off the back tees, it is not overly long, but is certainly a good test due to the positioning of the courses 100+ bunkers and the many gorse bushes which lie not too far from fairways. It is always in relatively good condition from tee to green due to the sandy subsoil(good drainage). The club has made many changes over the years which I have i been there, including putting in bunkers to cater for long driving. Overall the course is well worthy of its rank and is a great track to play.
March 22, 2009

Copt Heath is well worth a visit; it is a very green and lush surrounding and is a joyful setting. The course is flat but do not be fooled as there are many tough holes. The 1st and 2nd are both par-4’s and at around 450 yards a strong start to the course. The bunkering is key and severe; avoiding bunkers from the tee and with approach shots is a must. For me the course starts well, becomes a little predictable in the middle but the back 9 develops really well and each hole holds your interest really well. The 16th dog-legging left and again around 450 yards is my pick of the holes. A traditional club that is welcoming to visitors…
October 09, 2007

Fantastic Colt design with over 90 bunkers. Tight entrances to greens with some subtle elevation changes make this relatively flat course a good test of scoring. Excellent sandy subsoil creates an enviably good quality of turf throughout the year. 2 classic par 5's in the 7th and 15th. Par 3 13th is one of Colt's best.Host every April to the McEvoy Trophy.
July 18, 2006

Played this course in heavy rain and besides a few wet greens the drainage was pretty good. Very good condition of tee offs, fairways and greens, nice and flat for the higher handicapper golfer like myself. All in all very pleasant, nothing too demanding or spectacular.
May 30, 2006