The course at Cromer Golf Club dates back more than ninety years, with Deputy Premier E.A. Buttenshaw hitting the first tee shot on 8th June 1929. Interestingly, the name of the club at that time was Dee Why Golf Links. Within three years, eighteen holes were in play.
Dee Why became Cromer Country Club in 1940 then fifteen years later the name was changed to Cromer Golf Club. Eric Apperley submitted a redevelopment plan in 1949 and work on some of his proposals started the following year.
A committee was then formed which invited members to submit suggestions on where the course could be improved. These were inspected then presented as recommendations to the Club Committee in August 1962 and their implementation resulted in the course that’s largely in play today.
The current 13th hole, which had been a par three, was lengthened to a par four and new holes 14 and 16 were created. Filling in areas of swamp was accomplished by using fill from ponds that were built elsewhere.
Al Howard oversaw additional course improvements during the 1990s then James Wilcher was engaged at the start of the new millennium to rebuild tees and greens, add new fairway bunkers and open up a water course which was then brought into play on a number of holes.