Pymble Golf Club was formed in 1924, with Dan Soutar and Carnegie Clark setting out an 18-hole course which didn’t officially open until 31st March 1928. By that time, leading professional Tom Popplewell was the head pro and the membership numbered 625. Four years later, Hunters Hill Golf Club amalgamated with Pymble, bringing with it a sought-after liquor licence.
After the club purchased an additional twenty acres known as “Britton’s Orchard” in the 1940s, it called in Eric Apperly to remodel the course, eliminating holes in the 10-acre “Paddock.” Work on the new design was completed in 1953 and not much has changed on the 90-acre property since then.
Pymble is a beautiful parkland golf course with tall blue gum trees lining the fairways. It has some of the most demanding holes for driving, along with a collection of strong par fours and testing par threes of varying lengths. The signature hole is the right doglegged par four 16th, where water to the right of the fairway threatens the tee shot then a rocky creek protects the front of the green.