Ealing - Middlesex - England

UB6 8SS

• David Jones

• James Braid, Harry Colt

• Ricky Willison

Originally called Castle Bar Golf Club when it formed in 1898, Ealing changed name to its current title shortly after it was founded. James Braid was subsequently commissioned to lay out an 18-hole course for the club before Harry Colt carried out modifications in 1926 when the A40 road was constructed just to the north of the property.

Down the years, improvements have been made to the layout in terms of adding new tee positions, pruning trees and upgrading bunkers but the routing has remained intact, even if the playing order has changed a number of times. The club was also one of the first to automatically water its greens and this irrigation system has since been extended to cover the fairways.

Ealing is a typical parkland track with tight, tree-lined holes laid out on the flood plain of the River Brent. As you might expect on such a flat landscape, the river encroaches at several points during a round here; none more so than at two of toughest holes on the card, the long par four 6th and the left doglegged 13th, where the meandering waters cut across the fairway in front of the greens.

Other notable holes at Ealing include the back-to-back par fives at 7 and 8 and the two par threes on the back nine at 14 and 18 – the former is a tough “short” hole which plays as long as 227 yards from the back tees whilst the latter is a new closing hole that was recently brought in, along with a new par four 17th, to replace the old pair of par five finishing holes.

Reviews for Ealing

Description: Golf has been played at Ealing for more than 100 years but some say Ealing Golf Club is still the best kept secret in West London. Rating: 3.7 out of 6 Reviews: 3

Played here on 20th April in glorious weather! The greens were quite simply the best i have ever played on, and its only April!! The course itself is rather short and the holes are very tightly packed together, but its is thoroughly enjoyable.I have to agree with the other posters, i think the 2 par 5 finish would be better (and making the last a par 4 would make it seriously tough). 17 and 18 (as they stand are quite weak)
April 21, 2015

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
The land at Ealing Golf Club is pretty flat and at first glance is not ideal for a top-end course. In saying that the team that look after the course are doing everything they can to get the maximum impact from it. It is clear that the course condition is high priority. I enjoyed my recent round and I can see that the course has come along a lot since my original visit in 2007 – After a slowish start, the 4th hole is a beauty, only around 320 yards but this takes an accurate tee shot of around 200 yards, before turning sharp left – add in the River Brent on the left side which works it way around the green and this is tough short hole. The 6th is the toughest par-4, around 450 yards with the river cutting in 60 yards short of the green, the approach is the premium shot. On the back nine, the 13th another tough par-4 will be a favourite for many.The will some discussion over the way that the course finishes, the current holes 7 and 8 used to be 17 and 18 but this was thought a weak finish as both are par 5’s – the current 17th and 18th are now a short par-4 and a par-3, certainly not an easy pair of holes but for me the original closing sounds better, especially if the last hole was shortened by 50 yards and made into a tough par-4 – just an idea… I would recommend a visit to Ealing for a few reasons…. 1. Superb conditioning and near to perfect greens, 2. A warm visitor welcome, 3. Probably the best course in the county of Middlesex.
July 11, 2012

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
I thought I would be the first to post a review on Ealing. I have been playing this course for over 25 years (I'm not a member) and this year have played it four times. It is in as good a condition as any course I have played this year and that is why I have given it the rating I have (Three balls). However, as a piece of golf landscape it is very disappointing. In recent years the layout has been altered and what used to be a par 5, par 5 finish has been replaced by a short par 4, par 3 finish. This can never be an improvement. I believe that locally there are better options, West Middlesex being the stand out favourite.
August 22, 2008

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Guy
September 20, 2010
I am sorry you did not like the changes to the layout of our course. The reason that we changed to a par 4, then par 3 finish was to make it more of a challenge, which it is. Finishing with 2 par 5's was too soft and whilst not a popular decision within our club, it was the right one. Visually, our course continues to evolve under our Master Greenkeeper, Greg Evans and the advice of our head professional. Our greens are rated as some of the best in the UK and the condition of the course gets better and better year on year. If you do like to visit Ealing, you may with to note that at the moment, we are waiving our joining fee and have introduced some new categories of membership, so please do visit our website or pop in if you would like more information.