Located halfway between Stevenage and Bishop’s Stortford, East Herts Golf Club was formed in 1899. The club’s original 9-hole course at Chadwell Springs was laid out by J. H. Taylor then later extended by James Braid.
The alignment of the A10 bypass in the late 1960s forced the club to move nine miles north to its present location at Hamels Park, where club members John Bennett and Jack Watts, along with club professional David Lewis, designed the new 18-hole course.
Occupying a 129-acre parkland property, the course extends to 6,440 yards from the back tees, playing to a par of 71; out in 33 then back in 36. The round begins with the only par five on the front nine at the 527-yard 1st then ends with the last of the par threes at the 180-yard 18th.
Highlight holes include short par fours at the 313-yard 5th (which doglegs slightly to the right) and the 318-yard 10th (with a front to back sloping green). The 8th and 16th are the most difficult on the card: a blind approach is often required at the former and the latter features a tricky two-tiered green.