Essendon (Old) - Hertfordshire - England

Essendon,
Hatfield,
Herts,
AL9 6HN,

Formerly known as Hatfield London Golf & Country Club, the Old course at the re-branded Essendon Country Club dates back to 1976. Fred W. Hawtree originally laid it out in Bedwell Park, which is set near the little village of Essendon in delightful, rural Hertfordshire countryside.

Part of the imposing red-bricked Bedwell House (once owned by the London brewer, Samual Whitbread) was the grand clubhouse that served the Old course, but following the sale of the manor house in 2002, both the Old and New courses now operate from a restored 16th century barn located to the north of the property.

Although the Old course routing remains the same, the move to the new clubhouse required a change to the hole numbering – for example the old 1st is now the 4th.

Measuring 6,808 yards from the back tees, Essendon Old course can throw down a challenging gauntlet, but with four tees on each hole this undulating parkland layout is very enjoyable for most handicap levels.

The five one-shot holes are particularly strong on the Old course, with no fewer than four of these measuring more than 200 yards from the tips. The pick of the par threes is perhaps the 15th, where a pond must be negotiated en route to a sloping, heart-shaped green.

From the regular tees, each of the five par fives offer up genuine birdie opportunities but you will need to keep it on the straight and narrow, avoiding the many mature trees that line the fairways. Talking of mature trees, you’ll need a precise tee shot on the challenging par four 16th which doglegs to the right. Trees do not only flank this hole, but there’s a huge, sentry oak in the middle of the fairway at around 250 yards. Our advice is not to hit and hope on this hole or you are sure to card a bogey or worse.

Essendon’s Old course is certainly one of Hertfordshire’s most attractive parkland courses. Its rolling topography and quiet yet accessible location combine to make Essendon Country Club a very popular golfing venue that is well worth playing more than once.

Reviews for Essendon (Old)

Description: Its rolling topography and quiet yet accessible location combine to make Essendon Country Club a very popular golfing venue that is well worth playing more than once. Rating: 5.4 out of 10 Reviews: 5
Will

I played the Old Course at Essendon on the Sunday just passed and I was left with very mixed emotions and some regret. Having read previous reviews it was a course that I was looking forward to playing and following a toss up between the Old or the New course, I booked a round on the Old with a friend who lives in the area, based on its superior ranking relative to the New. Said friend is a member at Hartsbourne Country Club where I have also played several times, and so I was looking forward to making comparisons between the two. Having coughed up a £60 green fee, we made the short journey and arrived at the course. It is set amongst an impressive estate and alongside the Old and New courses there is a short course that would suit anyone wishing to learn the game. As you continue down the drive towards the car park you pass holes on either side, without any clue as to which course they belong to - this is a moot point however it did pique our interest, and so we unpacked and went to the first tee in anticipation. I am not sure how the layout of the course was previously, but we had been told that the order of some of the holes had been changed and so the course routing may be different to how it was described on the website. The first hole was played uphill to the right and it is a fairly tricky start. For your second you cannot see the base of the pin and as we approached the green, it was evident that the course was in serious need of some love and care. The fringe grass was bare and dying and the bunkers were full of weeds and in need of 10 times more sand. Unfortunately this was a theme that was present from holes 1-6 and it left a slightly sour taste. Was this due to a lack of green-keepers due to the COVID pandemic? Who knows, but we weren't told to expect anything other than a well presented golf course. Conditioning aside, the first 6 holes felt very squashed in and out of place. You essentially play up and down the side of the same hill 6 times, without much variety or feature. A disappointing start. When we arrived at the 7th hole (the signature, index 1 hole), it felt as though we were beginning a round at a completely different course. Although not my favourite hole due to the large oak tree in the middle of the fairway, the course felt like it opened up a little here and we found ourselves surrounded by pleasant tall pines. The oak tree itself frustrated me as you essentially have a gap of barely 10 yards either side to hit an approach shot to the green, however I can see that to some it might be a unique and fun feature on a golf course - though it won't yield any architectural merit from me on this occasion. Holes 8-11 are relatively bland and non-descript, but the stretch from 12-18 is actually very good and here it feels as though you could be playing a completely different course yet again. My playing partner and I likened this stretch to Forest Pines in Lincolnshire and it was a stretch of holes that was we found particularly pretty. For me the best hole on the course was the 17th - a par 3 of about 145 yards played across a valley from an elevated tee to a green sat below tall pines. It was visually very pleasing and a par 3 was not easy work. The 18th is a short par 5 that we both played without very much difficulty or trouble - a simple closing hole to finish off the day. Walking off we weren't too sure how to feel - a poor start, a mixed bag in the middle 3rd and a good back 6. How could I put it in to a review? Its taken a few days of reflecting but on the whole I would have to say that we were very disappointed, especially having heard good things about Essendon. The £60 green fee is extortionate for the overall quality of the course and I wouldn't return to play it at the same cost. My friend could have signed me in at Hartsbourne just down the road, on a guest fee for £30 and on reflection I'd have been far happier doing this - I have played on the Willows course there on a number of occasions and it is always well presented. Similar to Essendon it is a Country Club by name but for me it offers better value for money. I feel that Essendon perhaps feels it is a better course than it truly is. Maybe we caught it on a bad day, but we won't be rushing back.

September 23, 2020

Paul Densham
October 02, 2020

I’m Paul Densham the General Manager here at Essendon. We appreciate you coming down and are pleased to hear you enjoyed aspects of our Old Course. Thanks also for taking the time to review – we’re always keen to hear customer feedback. Regarding the re-routing, this is a very new development and we’re in the process of trying to improve signage and awareness, particularly in the transition from the from 3rd to the new 4th hole. With regard to conditioning, we’re thankfully taking big strides largely due to an investment in more resource (greens staff now number 13, up from 8) but we will acknowledge the Old, in parts, is a couple of weeks behind the New in terms of growth – though, from the recent feedback we’ve received on the whole, by no means bad. As for us believing we are better than we really are, I feel this is conjecture and I assure you that is absolutely not the case. We try to approach every area of our business with humility and the goal of continuous improvement and I certainly hope that if you do revisit, you’ll leave with a better feeling that you did on this occasion.

Will
October 03, 2020

Paul - thanks for taking the time to respond. I think the disappointment was in relation mostly to the first six holes where, as you describe, the signage is a little bit limited and the condition is slightly worse off compared to the latter part of the course. I appreciate that as a club you're taking strides to rectify things and I also understand that you have probably been impacted heavily by the COVID pandemic, so in fairness my review is probably poorly timed here and perhaps we did not find the course in its prime. I think that paying £60 for a green fee, my playing partner and I were probably expecting a little more than we got - however we would like to return some time in the future as we found the back 9 to be particularly enjoyable.

Mark

Much shorter and trickier than the New course which is also very good. Really enjoyed my day our here and would definitely recommend to anyone living in the county or close by, two great courses and great facilities.

June 20, 2020

Kyle Dix

I liked both courses here, the new I found tougher than the old, but other people say they think the old is tougher.

We play here every year on a 36 hole society and get to do both courses on the same day late summertime, I would recommend this venue, the clubhouse is great, both courses are great and different too which is nice to have.

The main negative for me on the old course was the 16th hole, I get the club probably don't want to cut a mature tree down and I get the want for the hole that it makes it different, but that tree is just too big to go over it or around it if you lay up short, so you have to hit about 250 yards to be as parallel to the tree as possible to have a shot and even then, there is a break in the fairway, so you get penalised for that too as the ground is rough and not well grassed?

I actually had to hit a stinger 2 iron with a cut to get it to bounce before the tree and run past the narrowest of gaps to get through to have a shot at the green, which is genuinely a 1 in 10 chance of the shot even coming off.

Even after playing the hole perfectly, walking up the hole I was just thinking it doesn't make any sense, I could imagine this hole really ruining a round being so late on and could very easily be a good shot off the tee is ruined and leaves you with no other option but to punch a shot and run it up at the green?

I don't know, maybe other people opinions might be worth commenting on this post because I personally think it spoils the round, happy to hear other people opinions.

CLUBHOUSE 8

TIME OF THE YEAR PLAYED - AUGUST

FAVOURITE HOLE - 12th par 5 - very interesting double green

October 27, 2019

Andy Newmarch
There seems to be a positive vibe around Essendon at the moment – The Old course was always enjoyable when I used to play there 20+ years ago but then it was probably a long way off of the standard of other courses locally. New owners and some decent plans for the course look like there is a bright future around the corner. As far as I can see, it appears as there is a little money available now and if this can be spent on course conditioning (which has started) then the already decent holes of the Old course will take on a new look. After a friendly par-4 start, the par-3 2nd is a beauty, ranging from 185-215 yards with plenty of protection and slightly downhill. The 4th hole (previously the opening hole) is a nice par-4, not that long at around 350 yards but very pleasing on the eye. Another decent hole is the par-7th, although under 400 yards has a demanding drive over water and is uphill and turns right. The 10th tee is a nice place to be, an elevated position inviting a big drive which will put the green on this short par-5 well in range. The 380 yard par-4 16th is a great talking point, a large oak splits the fairway at about 240 yards from the tee so there is an element of luck involved as to whether there is a clear route to approach the green but a great fun hole. Golfers sometimes can feel a little let down by a par 3 finish on a course – and if I am honest the short hole ending the round on the Old course needs a little work but certainly not a major overhaul – this used to be the 15th prior to 2002 and may not have been remembered so well but now as the finale it is and needs to be talked about positively rather than as a weak 18th hole. Overall the visit to Essendon was great – and the team seem to have the balance between a warm visitor welcome and keeping the members happy just about right. A lot of golfers are re-visiting Essendon after an absence of many years and those that I have spoken to, are very complementary of the club and both of the courses.
September 06, 2013

Keith Baxter

I have many happy memories of playing the Old course at Essendon during the summer months after knocking off work early. Rushing from the office to the first tee that was adjacent to the manor house was always a thrilling experience. The Old was considered the poor pay-and-play relation to the private New course and it took me quite a few years before I eventually managed to play the New and, if I’m honest, I like the Old course best. The reason I prefer the Old is that it is an interesting and fun parkland course which is none too arduous and basically plays the same way (weather permitting) each day. The New is more complicated due to its dual greens which only served to muddy the focal point for me on approach shots. The New could be better than the Old, but not in my eyes until the club reconsiders the architectural merits of the dual greens.

August 08, 2013