Forfar - Angus & Dundee - Scotland

• Mon-Fri and Sun: 10am -11.30am and 2.30pm - 4.00pm. Sat: 2.30pm – 4.00 pm

• Peter McNiven

• Old Tom Morris, James Braid

• Stuart Wilson

Forfar Golf Club was established in 1871 when the original course was laid out by four times Open Champion Old Tom Morris. It remained in this form for over fifty years until James Braid made alterations in 1926. The course as it is today is virtually untouched in design since then.

In the new millennium, Stuart Wilson is making a very good effort at representing Forfar Golf Club nationally. He played at Ganton in 2003 on the winning Walker Cup team for Great Britain and Ireland against the USA. Stuart also won the Silver Medal for leading amateur in the 2004 Open at Royal Troon, joining only five other Scots – Reid Jack, Ronnie Shade, Dick Smith, Barclay Howard and Charlie Green – who had previously achieved that feat.

The links-like undulations of many Forfar fairways are a mystery to visitors as the course is more than ten miles from the coast. One story is told to explain the lie of the land – it is said that the ground on which the course is routed was used years before to dry long rows of flax, this process causing the distinct undulations - urban myth or fact, does anybody know?

The 15th hole – “Braid’s Best” – is the signature hole on the course. A dogleg right, measuring 412 yards, it favours a fade from the tee. Three bunkers protect the front of the raised green and a steep slope to the left will punish any pulled approach shots.

It is the intoxicating amalgam of links-like surface, parkland avenue, heathland heather and gorse that makes Forfar such an interesting course to play. The holes are carved through eighty acres of wooded estate and each fairway is played largely in isolation to the others. Length off the tee is not an issue here with ten of the thirteen par fours under 400 yards in length – accuracy is what matters and keeping the ball in play is the main objective at Forfar.

Reviews for Forfar

Description: The links-like undulations of many fairways at Forfar Golf Club are a mystery to visitors as the course is more than ten miles from the coast. Rating: 5 out of 6 Reviews: 8

Here is some important news for golf lovers...Retief Goosen is appearing tonight at Edinburgh's Comedy Club, Ian Poulter is currently receiving counselling for "low self esteem" and, finally, there are 91 golf courses in Scotland better than Forfar.Derek, Edinburgh, November 2012
November 05, 2012

2 people found this review helpful and 3 did not
Just cannot believe this course just makes the top 100. Well underrated and should be much higher; in my view it is a lot better than some of the big names who are, frankly, rated above this superb course just because they...are big names. Magnificent greens a credit to the greenkeeping staff, and a quaint old fashioned ambience to the welcoming clubhouse where I enjoyed lunch. Some cracking holes. To be faie the undulating fairways are not my cup of tea but this course deserves much higher ratings. You shoudl play it!
June 15, 2011

Niall Carlton
April 11, 2012
What a wonderful course. Stopped on the way to play Arbroath. As soon a I saw the pines and the "dunes" from the road, Arbroath got forgotten about. Some great golfing terrain. I've played right round Scotland and not heard a dickie bird about this course. How its managed to fly so far below the radar, I don't know.
I make it a rule never to write reviews straight after playing a course. I like to meditate and cogitate, weigh up all the pros and cons, but not today. I feel compelled, at this ungodly hour, after a 6 30am departure from Glasgow, 36 holes. a 2 hour drive home to complete a 15 hour day (it’s a tough old gig) to shout humble Forfar’s praises from the rooftops as it is truly one of the finest gems in Scottish golf.Frankly, I questioned the sanity of some of the reviews below this one but dearest fellow scribblers, mia culpa, mia maxima culpa, as I would like to fully endorse your sentiments.Not only me, my two fellow playing partners today, one who has played our Scottish top 100, the other who has played over 40, also agreed that Forfar was equal, if not better, than many of the inland courses in loftier positions in the Tartan Ton.It is a normal practice of mine to single out holes but I won’t in this review as it was only the 12th that I didn’t think was sparkling and I am nit picking here.So you owe it to yourself to sample Forfar, you will not regret it and, as the course is on just about all of the popular voucher schemes you will get it for 17 quid which my firends is golfing grand larceny of the highest magnitude. MPPJ
April 20, 2011

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
i played forfar in heavy rain and was surprised how dry the course remained. Great layout and a good test. Some tricky greens and tight fairways make this a good challenge. I found it does play a little short. Would highly recommend playing this course - should be in the the top 100 uk courses easily. Cheap to play too!
July 07, 2010

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
If there is a better value for money course in the whole of Scotland I'd love to see it. 6 of us played there 17th Sep - 36 holes for £40 - we felt like we'd robbed them. We'd played Downfield and Carnoustie the two preceding days, but this was not out of place being uttered in the same sentence. Would definitely rate it as better than a lot of the courses currently in the Top 100.
September 23, 2009

1 person found this review helpful and 2 did not
Like your other reviewers I can't believe Forfar is not in your top 100. It is in my top 30 Scottish courses! There is not a weak hole on the course and the 15th must be one of James Braid's Brawest! Forfar is very attractively layout with many trees to catch the wayward drive. It may not be over long but it more than makes up with the degree of difficulty. Above all Forfar is charming and beautiful. Truly a Gem but it should be well inside the Top 100!
September 08, 2009

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Forfar definitely deserves to be higher in the rankings. 'Gem' status does not do it justice. I played it three years ago on a beautiful October morning and loved it. Braid's design is excellent, particularly the par 3's. The humps and hollows give it a links-like appearance in places but there are tree-lined fairways. The greens were also superb. I do recall thinking the 18th was a little weak but I hope to go back there one day. Thoroughly recommended.
January 13, 2009

1 person found this review helpful and 2 did not
We make the trek up to Scotland every year to play the best courses and we’ve played most of them, but ,every year ,the first name on the list is Forfar.If ever there was a “hidden gem”, then this is it.Braid designed, it has everything! Sweeping fairways, tricky par three’s and Braids Best is well worth the wait.You couldn’t get a warmer welcome, and I for one will continue to make the trek and calling at Forfar for as long as The Lord gives me the strength to do so.Simply a must!!!
July 17, 2007